Options

9200T - wouldn't it be good if....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
Forum Member
Okay, I'm gonna start a "wouldn't it be good" thread :)

Here goes a few for a start:

....if the Fast Forward/Rewind buttons on the remote made the EPG go forward/back 2 hours WITHOUT having to bring up the Time Bar. Also, why not let the 'record' button set a reservation while using the time bar.

....if one press of OK in the EPG sets a 'Reminder' (a popup that tells you a program is about to start) and clicking OK switches the unit to that channel, two presses will show a reminder but automatically change to the channel, and three presses sets a reservation/recording.

....if the i-Plate let you surf all of the program information in the EPG for all of the channels.

:)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ....if the TV/Radio button switched the EPG (or guide) from TV to radio channels (as it does at the moment with the channel 'List' screen).

....if the EPG used the "List" button to give a vertical list all of the programs on a selected channel, with time on the left and program name on the right (at the moment the 'List' button isn't used in the guide).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ....if in the "Find Programme by Name" screen, the red/green/yellow/blue button corresponded to the Find/By Genre/Previous/next options (so these were colour coded on the screen). This would save at least 6 key presses every time you wanted to search 'By Genre' or click to the 'Next' page of characters. At the moment the blue button is used to go back to the EPG screen, but the Back button on the remote already performs this function
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ....if the 'Found Programme List' had an option to list by programme number (as it does at the moment) or in chronological order (i.e. in order of broadcast time). This option could use a couple of the coloured buttons for selection, and would help with the 100 entries limit.
  • Options
    creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    sdesign wrote:
    ....if the 'Found Programme List' had an option to list by programme number (as it does at the moment) or in chronological order (i.e. in order of broadcast time). This option could use a couple of the coloured buttons for selection, and would help with the 100 entries limit.

With respect isn't this thread covering the same ground as the Software Ideas thread?
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=296852

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote:
    With respect isn't this thread covering the same ground as the Software Ideas thread?
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=296852

Colin

Yeah, I saw that afterwards, but I don't know why you guys are so hung up on keeping things in one thread.....other forums aren't like that.
  • Options
    Captain CodCaptain Cod Posts: 2,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't it be good if... The programme name in the Playlist menu was white and not an almost illegible blue.

Wouldn't it be good if... The commercial skip and instant rewind features were on the main part of the remote. The blue and yellow buttons, maybe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sdesign wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that afterwards, but I don't know why you guys are so hung up on keeping things in one thread.....other forums aren't like that.

I think the majority of regulars in the old Humax threads agree with you and prefer the muti-thread approach we now have, so I guess that is why it has been changed. I see their point of view but I have to say that on balance I prefer the old way. I find it easier to follow just one thread for each model of PVR even though for a popular topic it can lead to a long thread.

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    creddish wrote:
    I think the majority of regulars in the old Humax threads agree with you and prefer the muti-thread approach we now have, so I guess that is why it has been changed. I see their point of view but I have to say that on balance I prefer the old way. I find it easier to follow just one thread for each model of PVR even though for a popular topic it can lead to a long thread.

Colin

Whatever you like that's fine by me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, but Colin, long single threads lead to the OT police moving in and making the threads even longer. At least this way if you're not interested in a thread, say it gets too technical ;) (No, I don't mean too technical for you, Colin, I meant too technical for its own good), then you can at least stop watching it and save the time youd have to spend reading it if there were only a single thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdesign wrote:
    To be honest, I thought the old "one thread to rule them all" approach was pretty stupid.

However, with our new found freedom to create threads we must be careful not to go too far the other way - having multiple threads on the front page for the same topic is silly and wastes people's time IMO.

One thread for each topic is the ideal, although duplicates will obviously turn up from time to time when old threads have dropped off the front page. This is basically unavoidable (until newbies learn to use the search function :rolleyes: ), but tolerable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Okay, I apologise for not spotting the other thread and starting my own. I missed it because it wasn't identified as a 9200T thread, and as this is a general Humax forum it could have referred to any product.

I won't start my own thread in future. I'll just hijack another one and go off-topic....just like you have this one :mad: (in my opinion worse than starting the same topic twice, is hijacking a thread to argue about crap that only trolls care about about).

Are you 'one-thread-for-all' types happy now? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdesign wrote:
    I'll just hijack another one and go off-topic....

Sorry to continue this conversation, as you seem to be getting offended now which wasn't my intention at all :o .

However, I think you're still missing my point, which was that if you'd used the other thread your comments wouldn't have been offtopic.

Anyway, IMO it's much better to have one thread for a topic which may wander slightly off course as it evolves, as opposed to multiple threads talking about exactly the same thing.

Off topic conversation was much more of a problem in the old mega-thread, because it disrupted all the concurrent conversations, and the thread was pretty hard to follow at the best of times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rhubarbe wrote:
    Hmm, but Colin, long single threads lead to the OT police moving in and making the threads even longer. At least this way if you're not interested in a thread, say it gets too technical ;) (No, I don't mean too technical for you, Colin, I meant too technical for its own good), then you can at least stop watching it and save the time youd have to spend reading it if there were only a single thread.

It's obviously down to personal preferences. OT Police also patrol separate threads. You could say I was acting in that role when I responded in my post #5 above :) . I am already finding it more difficult to follow topics in the now separate threads and the same topics are coming up in more than one thread so it is impossible to remember who said what in which thread.

I'm still undecided which PVR I'm going to buy so I'm following the threads on most of the manufacturers products. So now I have about 20 active threads to follow instead of about 5 which means more time taken visiting UserCP to select the threads. This is exaserbated by DS often crashing my browser so I lose the "read messages" update and have to go through all the threads again.

I do appreciate there are advantages in the separate thread approach so I'm happy to accept the majority view.

Colin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tievolu wrote:
    However, I think you're still missing my point, which was that if you'd used the other thread your comments wouldn't have been offtopic.

As I said, this is a general Humax forum. If the other thread was labelled PVR-9200T (as is mine) then I probably would have posted there instead. For all I knew it could have a thread for the 8000T.

Anyway, I'm bored with this now. Let's not reply to this thread now so it drops down the list. Keep the others on top. I'll post my software suggestions in the other thread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bring this back up but Colin you really should be using Firefox by now. DS never crashes it, and lots of e-commerce sites still don't work with it so you get to save lots of cash too. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be good if... The commercial skip and instant rewind features were on the main part of the remote. The blue and yellow buttons, maybe.
    I think Humax could have made much better use of the coloured buttons in loads of places. For such prominent buttons they are completely under used! Are you listening Mr Humax!? :D