FAQ (Some of them)

brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
Forum Member
✭✭
The forums on the 9200T are very large.
Hopefully you will find the answer to a frequently asked question here.
Newbies should find it useful.
This is my personal summary of frequently answered questions.
I will post a complete revised version occasionally so that you only have to refer to the latest such post on this thread.
Brian9200T 03NOV2005

“I only see so far because I stand on the shoulders of giants”-Isaac Newton
I will try to acknowledge source of my views .... when I remember.

Q0001: How do I record a series on weekdays only?
Just record daily and workaround the side effects. Probably no recordings will in fact be made at the weekend as the Humax seems to check the programme name before going ahead with the recording each day. Delete unwanted Sat & Sun recordings. You will have to delete the timer if you want to record two other programs that clash at the weekend and reinstate the timer afterwards.

Q0002. How do I get the buttons on the navigation bar to work as per GB36?
You probably forgot to press the PAUSE button first.

Q0003: How to I quickly get to the start of a recording?
Press play twice.

Q0004: How to I workaround the limit of 20 timers?
Schedule programs for daily or weekly recording if their time slot is the same.

Q0005: The machine takes a long time to come out of standby and sometimes has problems when it does.
Leave it on all the time.

Q0006: How do I record the program I have already been watching up to 2 hours?
Press PLAY twice to go to start of program then press RECORD button.

Q0007: How do I get it working when it is locked up with a frozen picture?
Switch off mains using switch on back of box. Wait one minute and switch on again. If it happens too often within the first two years then get the box swapped by the warranty service as per warranty booklet.

Q0008: How do I get information about the next programme quickly?
Press the ‘I’ button which shows information on the current program then press the ‘I’ button again.

Q0009: The ‘Edit’ function (User Manual GB36 & 7) can split a recorded programme. Why would I want to do that?
a) You might have recorded consecutive programmes using a single timer and now want to split them. (Source: Schnauser Bites-Digital Spy)
b) The recording might be too big for a single DVD.
c) To split a musical program into individual pieces.(Source: Sdesign-Digital Spy)

Q0010: What is the best way to select and playback a recorded programme?
A: Press ‘Playlist’ button (Button ‘L’ on pages GB11 and 12). Select recording with cursors).Press OK button. (Source:Redrob2 Digspy). (It does say this on Page GB34 but emphasises a slower way.

Q0011: The cover over the lower buttons of the remote control gets in the way sometimes?
A: Remove it easily by sliding it down a bit then prizing up the LH side. It clips back easily afterwards. You can make it even easier by running a finger along the inside edge thus lubricating the groove.

Q0012: Why does the spec suggest that the VCR/DVD Player scart is not a means of input?
A: It is a pass-through socket but cannot input for recording purposes.

Q0013: What does the ‘Source’ button do?
1: If your DVD Player is switched off it will toggle your TV between the HUMAX and its aerial signal (which may include an RF Humax channel). However if the TV has been set to AV with its own controls then the TV will stay on AV and thus not change.

2. If your DVD Player is switched on it will toggle the picture between DVD Player and Humax.(Remember to pause the DVD to avoid missing a bit.)
Sources: Self/Creddish,Post1909 on Digspy/ Schnauzer Bites,1921 on Digspy forum,/CJL,1917 on DIGSPY Forum.

Q0014: How can I make it easier to read the Program Names on the ‘recorded programmes list?
A: Set the transparency to ‘Disabled’ thus giving a steady background.
Menu>Preferences>Miscellaneous>Transparency>Disabled.

Q0015: How can I see what programs are being recorded while watching a live program?
A: Press the STOP button.(Source:Spoon261,Post 427 30OCT2005.)

Q0016: All my TV recordings are missing when I …Menu>Recordings>Recorded Programmes?
A: You have just displayed one of the groups of recordings:- TV,Radio.
Check at the top of the screen that it is ‘TV’ being displayed. If not, then select the TV Group.

Q0017:
For quite a few channels ( mostly bbc) there is two channels in the program list, not that it is a problem, the only niggle is that the weaker of the two has took up residence in the place where I would of expected the stronger of the two to be EG BBC1 is on 800 and 1 I live in Yorkshire and the main transmitter is Emley moor yet it is the Bilsdale tx that occupys channel 1 and this channel is totally unviewable!!!

A:

Hi there, I checked which channel the duplicated bbc channels were on (21-69) in my case 52 and deleted all of them ( both strong and weak) , i then did a manual scan for channel 52 without network( because that fetches radio and interactive channels in as well) I then selected the channels I required and saved them, when I went into the program list there they were, BBC1 at channel 1 where it rightfully belongs and all the other BBC channels were in the correct order too.

Thanks. I think I have sorted it. What was confusing me was when I went to do a manual tune it only had channels 40-50 (ish), and I knew that the channels I wanted were on 800 (I think ). But with the help of the transmitter info on the dtg site, I selected the channel numbers listed there and seem to have picked up good signals for bbc ones. So perhaps someone can enlighten me on the difference between the channels listed in the Channel list and the Channel number selected when doing a manual search.(Posts by E-man)

Q0018:
New box switches itself off at midnight.

A: A couple of nights ago I had the weird turning off at midnight thing while watching a recording, so I've set the auto off to 0300 and then disabled it again. That seems to have worked.(David March Post 1990 to Barry’forum.)

Q0019:

I've got the aerial cable looped through, so out of the wall socket, into the 9200T and then out of there into the TV.

Now I noticed that when I'm watching via the scart on AV1 on my TV that I see what's going on on another terrestrial channel. If I unplug the RF loop then it goes away.

A:
I’ve had this, and it is not pick up from the RF cable. What you are getting is crosstalk inside your scart lead. The video OUTPUT From the TV (tuned from an analogue channel) is coupling accross onto the input signal from the Humax. When you unplug the RF, the TV has no signal to output, so there is nothing to couple. You can solve this by:

1 - buying an expensive fully screened scart lead

2 - disconnecting the composite video output from the TV at the TV end of the cable (I did it just by breaking the pin 19 out of the connector)
Source: Post2040 by TonyCollinet to Barry’s forum.

Q0020: Where does it get its software updates and EPG info from? Is it another 4tv based machine?
A: it is a DTG OTA machine, not a 4TV which means Humax have to battle with 50 other boxes to get a slot to braodcast an OTA and could only do so once every few months - unlike 4TV where you're never more than 4 days from the latest software.

For this reason the 9200, like most other DTG boxes, has an RS232 port and Humax publish binaries on their web site so you just need terminal software and a cable to update the bo. Source: Post 2046 by CJL to Barry’s forum.

and on you having a serial port on your PC/notebook.
Source: Post 2049 to Barry’s forum by Gadgetmind

or 3. Buy an *inexpensive* (tenner?) fully-screened SCART lead.(Source:Post 2053 to Barry’s forum by Gomez.)

Q0021: Which channel is my HUmax picking its signal up from for example BBC1?
A: Go to: Menu - System - Signal detection
The OSD will now show you both the name of the transmitter and the frequency you're receiving the channel you're currently tuned to on.
Source : Post 8 on mid999’s forum by Barry.

Q0022: Transfer of recorded programmes to the PC via USB does not seem to work properly.
A: I just had this reply from Humax tech support regarding the USB file transfer problem:

“We have had some issues with the software, and are currently
investigating all of the issues so that we can include fixes and also
some of the changes that have been suggested in a software update. Due
to the nature of some of the issues and the testing time require to
investigate and resolve we may not release a complete fix until early
next year, however we may releases fixes quicker on our website.”

Updates will be on the Humax Global site and not the UK one.
(Source: Post 226 by Crowsmiling on Crowsmiling’s forum.)

If you just want to archive the occasional recording then connect to a DVD recorder using Scart to Scart.

Q0023:
How to start watching, from the beginning, a program that is being recorded...as long as it is the only one being recorded at that time.

Test Report:
At about 14:45 I set timer to record Boot Sale on ITV1 at 15:00.
I set Humax to watch ITV1 and switched off TV.
About 15:05 I switched on TV.
It was showing Boot Sale from the Humax.
I used the rewind button to rewind to the start of Boot Sale.
(The info bar was displayed and confirmed that ITV1 was being recorded.)

Edit: So you you can set several recordings in the morning.
Leave the Humax on the same channel as the first recording.
Now when you get home in the middle of the first recording you can switch on the TV and rewind it to the start.
If the first recording is ended when you get home then you can watch it from the list.
The only reservation is that there must not be another recording set at the same time as the first.

Q0024: What is the point in contacting Humax when many other people have the same problem?
A: The more people reporting a problem the more important to them to fix it to maintain their reputation.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Good work Brian a lot of peeps will find this useful :)

@Moderators
    The above post should be made a sticky ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    "Q0010: What is the best way to select and playback a recorded programme?
    A: Press ‘Playlist’ button (Button ‘L’ on pages GB11 and 12). Select recording with cursors).Press OK button. (Source:Redrob2 Digspy). (It does say this on Page GB34 but emphasises a slower way."

According to my manual that button is a 'i' not an 'L'. Typo or difference in manuals?

Great FAQ though.

Cheers

Quexex
  • brian9200Tbrian9200T Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quexex wrote:
    "Q0010: What is the best way to select and playback a recorded programme?
    A: Press ‘Playlist’ button (Button ‘L’ on pages GB11 and 12). Select recording with cursors).Press OK button. (Source:Redrob2 Digspy). (It does say this on Page GB34 but emphasises a slower way."

According to my manual that button is a 'i' not an 'L'. Typo or difference in manuals?

Great FAQ though.

Cheers

Quexex
    Thanks. My typo. I will correct it in the next edition in a couple of days to avoid clogging the thread... and allow time for more of my mistakes to be pointed out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    This FAQ list is excellent. :) It should be a sticky, perhaps cartegorised into "General", and "Hints, Tips and Short-cuts" and "Technical" or something similar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This FAQ list is excellent. :) It should be a sticky, perhaps cartegorised into "General", and "Hints, Tips and Short-cuts" and "Technical" or something similar.
    I agree. I also think making the questions bold would make it easier to scan through them.

How do we convince the mods to make something sticky?
    Forum Member
    Dear Mod,

How you doin'?

Please could you make this thread sticky?

Yours sincerely,

Stoney.
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you use the edit function to edit out advert breaks or does it only split a recording into two?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    quexex wrote:

Thanks. Will post an updated version in a day or two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tievolu wrote:
    I agree. I also think making the questions bold would make it easier to scan through them.

How do we convince the mods to make something sticky?
    How about if I list the questions at the start and the numbered answers at the end?
    Forum Member
    Can you use the edit function to edit out advert breaks or does it only split a recording into two?

I haven't tried edit yet because I can't get to the tele since I got my Humax.

BUT there is a delete section option (in addition to SPLIT) so I assume this would do it. i.e. delete a section and automatically rejoin the severed bits.
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    How about if I list the questions at the start and the numbered answers at the end?

It would look good if you hyperlinked the questions to the answers, while also repeating the question again imeediately in front the answer. But that would take quite a bit of formatting...also not sure how to do links within a post.

e.g.

Q1. How do I do such and such? [hyperlink1]
    Q2. What happens if...[hyperlink2]

Q1: How do I do such and such?
    [hyperlink1] First press the menu button, then blah, blah....

and so on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Just checked out the FAQ on the Humax website. Some of them might help answer some of the questions I've seen in this forum, specifically booting time issues, clock losing time issues, and the universal remote issues.

Q. The booting time is too long?
    A. Please check if the.... "STB (Software?) Upgrade" is set to "Enabled". If yes, please set to "Disabled"

Q. Why is the time on receiver not identical with my local time?
    A. The time used in the Humax clock is the time sent down in the stream of the current channel in accordance to the DVB specifications. If the broadcasters are sending the time incorrectly by 5 minutes, then this is what will be displayed by the receiver. If you change to a different channel then the time on the clock may change, you must take this into account when using the timers.

Q. What is the manufacturer's code for my universal remote control?
    A. Unfortunately we do not support the code at present, but we will support it for some terrestrial models like CX-1201T and F2-1001T.

You might also want to add this tip to the FAQ:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=299500
    (that reminds me.....has anyone found any hidden menus yet? ...there's always a hidden menu to be found!)

oh, and this bit is in the wrong place (should come under Q019 not Q020):
    or 3. Buy an *inexpensive* (tenner?) fully-screened SCART lead.(Source:Post 2053 to Barry’s forum by Gomez.)
    Forum Member
    Thats really useful, the one about slow start up. I never thought about looking at Humaxs faqs: the darkest place is under the light as the Polish say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would look good if you hyperlinked the questions to the answers, while also repeating the question again imeediately in front the answer. But that would take quite a bit of formatting...also not sure how to do links within a post.

e.g.

Q1. How do I do such and such? [hyperlink1]
    Q2. What happens if...[hyperlink2]

Q1: How do I do such and such?
    [hyperlink1] First press the menu button, then blah, blah....

and so on

I agree in principle and use this method on my own websites but I don't fancy learning how to do it on a forum.
    I could put them on my own website but might then get heavy traffic and have to pay for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sdesign wrote:
    Just checked out the FAQ on the Humax website. Some of them might help answer some of the questions I've seen in this forum, specifically booting time issues, clock losing time issues, and the universal remote issues.

Q. The booting time is too long?
    A. Please check if the.... "STB (Software?) Upgrade" is set to "Enabled". If yes, please set to "Disabled"

Q. Why is the time on receiver not identical with my local time?
    A. The time used in the Humax clock is the time sent down in the stream of the current channel in accordance to the DVB specifications. If the broadcasters are sending the time incorrectly by 5 minutes, then this is what will be displayed by the receiver. If you change to a different channel then the time on the clock may change, you must take this into account when using the timers.

Q. What is the manufacturer's code for my universal remote control?
    A. Unfortunately we do not support the code at present, but we will support it for some terrestrial models like CX-1201T and F2-1001T.

You might also want to add this tip to the FAQ:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=299500
    (that reminds me.....has anyone found any hidden menus yet? ...there's always a hidden menu to be found!)

oh, and this bit is in the wrong place (should come under Q019 not Q020):

Thanks. I will edit Q0019 to cover your advice.
    Today is the first I heard of Humax's FAQs. I will check them out and revise my FAQs to reflect what I see. If they have an answer I will leave it out of mine and merely give their web address.
    I had already included the tip on my draft (Q0031) for the next cumulative FAQs which I hope to post after covering the Humax faqs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    I had a look at the Humax UK FAQ page (http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/faq.asp) but cannot se anything for the 9200T. Can someone post a link to the Humax 9200T FAQ please?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alickr wrote:
    I had a look at the Humax UK FAQ page (http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/faq.asp) but cannot se anything for the 9200T. Can someone post a link to the Humax 9200T FAQ please?

I have checked and the UK site has FAQs by Model Number but don't include the 9200T.
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/

The Humax Global site only has general answers.
    Sdesign was pointing out that the general answers covered some of the 9200T problems.
    I am just about to post a cumulative update to the FAQs thread here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FAQ’s …some of them. Second edition including the first.

My view of the Humax Personal Video recorder PVR9200T

“I only see so far because I stand on the shoulders of giants”-Isaac Newton
    I will try to acknowledge source of my views,

See also Humax UK’s own FAQs at http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/ Click on support, then FAQ.
    Neither this nor their global site has FAQs specific to the 9200T as at 7NOV2005.

The questions are listed first on their own to speed your search, then repeated with the answers.

Contents

Q0005: The machine takes a long time to come out of standby and sometimes has problems when it does.

Q0009: The ‘Edit’ function (User Manual GB36 & 7) can split a recorded programme. Why would I want to do that?

Q0011: The cover over the lower buttons of the remote control gets in the way sometimes?
    Q0012: Why does the spec suggest that the VCR/DVD Player scart is not a means of input?

Q0014: How can I make it easier to read the Program Names on the ‘recorded programmes list?
    Q0015: How can I see what programs are being recorded while watching a live program?

Q0016: All my TV or all my Radio recordings are missing when I …Menu>Recordings>Recorded Programmes?
    Q0017:For quite a few channels ( mostly bbc) there are two channels in the program list, not that it is a problem, the only niggle is that the weaker of the two has took up residence in the place where I would of expected the stronger of the two to be EG BBC1 is on 800 and 1 I live in Yorkshire and the main transmitter is Emley moor yet it is the Bilsdale tx that occupys channel 1 and this channel is totally unviewable!!!
    Q0018:New box switches itself off at midnight.

Q0019: I've got the aerial cable looped through, so out of the wall socket, into the 9200T and then out of there into the TV.
    Now I noticed that when I'm watching via the scart on AV1 on my TV that I see what's going on on another terrestrial channel. If I unplug the RF loop then it goes away.
    Q0020: Where does it get its software updates and EPG info from? Is it another 4tv based machine?
    Q0021: Which channel is my HUmax picking its signal up from for example BBC1?

Q0022: Transfer of recorded programmes to the PC via USB does not seem to work properly.
    Q0023: How to start watching, from the beginning, a program that is being recorded...as long as it is the only one being recorded at that time.
    Q0024: What is the point in contacting Humax when many other people have the same problem?

Q0025: The only missed recordings I have had (2 of them)…
    Q0026: Fitting a bigger Hard Drive/Problems transferring to /from a PC.
    See: http://www.pvruk.com/2004/04/humax_pvr8000t_.html
    Q0027: I set timers for two consecutive programmes on the same channel and padded them. The second did not record.

Q0028: One way to play a recording transferred from Humax to PC.
    Q0029: A recorded tv programme file transferred from the Humax to a PC has no file type. What suffix should I add?
    Q0030: Strange icon. This particular icon is more misunderstood than most.
    In the date box on the RECORDED PROGRAMME screen for one recording there is an unusual icon for which I can find no reference in the manual. It is a yellow box, overlaid at the bottom left hand side with a green oval. Inside the oval is a white rectangle (landscape orientation)

Q0031: Some options are greyed out on menus.
    Q0032: What all-in-one remotes work with the 9200T
    Q0033: Help with all-in-one learning function.

The questions are repeated below with the answers.

A0001: Just record daily and workaround the side effects. Probably no recordings will in fact be made at the weekend as the Humax seems to check the programme name before going ahead with the recording each day. Delete unwanted Sat & Sun recordings. You will have to delete the timer if you want to record two other programs that clash at the weekend and reinstate the timer afterwards.

A0002: You probably forgot to press the PAUSE button first.

A0003: Press play twice.

A0004: Schedule programs for daily or weekly recording if their time slot is the same.

A0005: Leave it on all the time.

A0006: Press PLAY twice to go to start of program then press RECORD button.

A0007: Switch off mains using switch on back of box. Wait one minute and switch on again. If it happens too often within the first two years then get the box swapped by the warranty service as per warranty booklet.

A0008Press the ‘I’ button which shows information on the current program then press the ‘I’ button again.

A0009 a) You might have recorded consecutive programmes using a single timer and now want to split them. (Source: Schnauser Bites-Digital Spy)
    b) The recording might be too big for a single DVD.
    c) To split a musical program into individual pieces.(Source: Sdesign-Digital Spy)

A0010: Press ‘Playlist’ button (Button ‘i’ on pages GB11 and 12). Select recording with cursors).Press OK button. (Source:Redrob2 Digspy). (It does say this on Page GB34 but emphasises a slower way.

A0011: Remove it easily by sliding it down a bit then prizing up the LH side. It clips back easily afterwards. You can make it even easier by running a finger along the inside edge thus lubricating the groove.

A0012: It is a pass-through socket but cannot input for recording purposes.

A0013 1: If your DVD Player is switched off it will toggle your TV between the HUMAX and its aerial signal (which may include an RF Humax channel). However if the TV has been set to AV with its own controls then the TV will stay on AV and thus not change.

2. If your DVD Player is switched on it will toggle the picture between DVD Player and Humax.(Remember to pause the DVD to avoid missing a bit.)
    Sources: Self/Creddish,Post1909 on Digspy/ Schnauzer Bites,1921 on Digspy forum,/CJL,1917 on DIGSPY Forum.

A0014: Set the transparency to ‘Disabled’ thus giving a steady background.
    Menu>Preferences>Miscellaneous>Transparency>Disabled.

A0015: Press the STOP button.(Source:Spoon261,Post 427 30OCT2005.)

Q0016: All my TV or all my Radio recordings are missing when I …Menu>Recordings>Recorded Programmes?
    A0016: You have just displayed one of the groups of recordings:- TV,Radio.
    Check at the top of the screen that it is ‘TV’ being displayed. If not, then select the TV Group as per top of page GB34.

Q0017: For quite a few channels ( mostly bbc) there are two channels in the program list, not that it is a problem, the only niggle is that the weaker of the two has took up residence in the place where I would of expected the stronger of the two to be EG BBC1 is on 800 and 1 I live in Yorkshire and the main transmitter is Emley moor yet it is the Bilsdale tx that occupys channel 1 and this channel is totally unviewable!!!

A0017: Hi there, I checked which channel the duplicated bbc channels were on (21-69) in my case 52 and deleted all of them ( both strong and weak) , i then did a manual scan for channel 52 without network( because that fetches radio and interactive channels in as well) I then selected the channels I required and saved them, when I went into the program list there they were, BBC1 at channel 1 where it rightfully belongs and all the other BBC channels were in the correct order too.

Thanks. I think I have sorted it. What was confusing me was when I went to do a manual tune it only had channels 40-50 (ish), and I knew that the channels I wanted were on 800 (I think ). But with the help of the transmitter info on the dtg site, I selected the channel numbers listed there and seem to have picked up good signals for bbc ones. So perhaps someone can enlighten me on the difference between the channels listed in the Channel list and the Channel number selected when doing a manual search.(Posts by E-man)

Q0018:New box switches itself off at midnight.

A0018: A couple of nights ago I had the weird turning off at midnight thing while watching a recording, so I've set the auto off to 0300 and then disabled it again. That seems to have worked.(David March Post 1990 to Barry’forum.)
    Since advised that this does not work by (Source: Post 7 by sdesign on Sdesign’s forum.)

Q0019: I've got the aerial cable looped through, so out of the wall socket, into the 9200T and then out of there into the TV.

A0019:I’ve had this, and it is not pick up from the RF cable. What you are getting is crosstalk inside your scart lead. The video OUTPUT From the TV (tuned from an analogue channel) is coupling accross onto the input signal from the Humax. When you unplug the RF, the TV has no signal to output, so there is nothing to couple. You can solve this by:
    1 - buying a fully screened scart lead (£10+)
    2 - disconnecting the composite video output from the TV at the TV end of the cable (I did it just by breaking the pin 19 out of the connector)
    Source: Post2040 by TonyCollinet to Barry’s forum.

A0020: it is a DTG OTA machine, not a 4TV which means Humax have to battle with 50 other boxes to get a slot to braodcast an OTA and could only do so once every few months - unlike 4TV where you're never more than 4 days from the latest software.

For this reason the 9200, like most other DTG boxes, has an RS232 port and Humax publish binaries on their web site so you just need terminal software and a cable to update the bo. Source: Post 2046 by CJL to Barry’s forum.

and on you having a serial port on your PC/notebook.
    Source: Post 2049 to Barry’s forum by Gadgetmind

Q0021: Which channel is my Humax picking its signal up from for example BBC1?
    A0021: Go to: Menu - System - Signal detection
    The OSD will now show you both the name of the transmitter and the frequency you're receiving the channel you're currently tuned to on.
    Source : Post 8 on mid999’s forum by Barry.

A0022: I just had this reply from Humax tech support regarding the USB file transfer problem:

“We have had some issues with the software, and are currently
    investigating all of the issues so that we can include fixes and also
    some of the changes that have been suggested in a software update. Due
    to the nature of some of the issues and the testing time require to
    investigate and resolve we may not release a complete fix until early
    next year, however we may releases fixes quicker on our website.”

Updates will be on the Humax Global site and not the UK one.
    (Source: Post 226 by Crowsmiling on Crowsmiling’s forum.)

If you just want to archive the occasional recording then connect to a DVD recorder using Scart to Scart.

Q0023: How to start watching, from the beginning, a program that is being recorded...as long as it is the only one being recorded at that time.
    A0023: Test Report:
    At about 14:45 I set timer to record Boot Sale on ITV1 at 15:00.
    I set Humax to watch ITV1 and switched off TV.
    About 15:05 I switched on TV.
    It was showing Boot Sale from the Humax.
    I used the rewind button to rewind to the start of Boot Sale.
    (The info bar was displayed and confirmed that ITV1 was being recorded.)
    So you you can set several recordings in the morning.
    Leave the Humax on the same channel as the first recording.
    Now when you get home in the middle of the first recording you can switch on the TV and rewind it to the start.
    If the first recording is ended when you get home then you can watch it from the list.
    The only reservation is that there must not be another recording set at the same time as the first.

A0024: The more people reporting a problem the more important to them to fix it to maintain their reputation.

Q0025: The only missed recordings I have had (2 of them)…
    A0025: …. have been when I have recorded consecutive programmes on the same channel and padded the end of the first one.(Post 2069 to Barry’s forum by Redrob2.)

Q0026: Fitting a bigger Hard Drive/Problems transferring to /from a PC.
    See: http://www.pvruk.com/2004/04/humax_pvr8000t_.html
    A0026: I work in IT for a company who sell thousands of hard disk drives every month from Maxtor & Seagate and I thought I'd just give my input based on experience and information from the actual manufacturers...
    If you open the Humax you will see that the HDD is a Seagate with a model number ending in ACE. Normally Seagate HDD model numbers end in A or AS (for SATA). The reason the model number is different is because ACE stands for 'Consumer Electronics' version. The main difference between an ACE drive and a standard PC drive ('A') which everyone on here is using to upgrade is the way it handles error correction and checking (ECC).
    Simplistically...with a normal PC drive when you write data to the HDD the drive will 'double-check' with the PC that the data it has received is accurate (check for errors) and if it is correct will write it and if not will try again. This process (ECC) takes milliseconds and you do not notice it when you use your PC.
    However, the ACE drives have this function removed..
    Why? because if you put a standard HDD in a consumer electronics product which relies on streaming video (such as a PVR) you are more likely to get stuttering images and/or frozen screens as the HDD continually tries to double check the data which has been written.
    In summary normal drives do work but be aware that they will a. run hotter because they are not designed to be put in such a small space b. potentially give stuttering images/freezing.
    You cannot buy ACE drives from the open market normally - they are sold directly by the manufacturers to the PVR companies.
    For reference Maxtor's equivalent drives are called 'Quickview'
    (Copy of Post by Darrow to PVRUK forum on 8000T in Feb 2005)

Q0027: I set timers for two consecutive programmes on the same channel and padded them. The second did not record.
    A0027: Don’t pad the end of the first or the start of the second in this ‘case’. It is safer possibly to set one timer to cover both and pad it at the beginning and end.

Q0028: One way to play a recording transferred from Humax to PC.
    A0028: Use the VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ (Free) to watch recordings on your PC.
    (Source: Post 240 by mbailey to crowsmiling’s forum.)

Q0029: A recorded tv programme file transferred from the Humax to a PC has no file type. What suffix should I add?
    A0029: .mpeg-ts
    (Source: Post 242 by jjn to crowsmiling’s forum.)
    (Although this seems to be the technically correct file type other people have used .mpg instead.)
    Q0030: Strange icon. This particular icon is more misunderstood than most.
    In the date box on the RECORDED PROGRAMME screen for one recording there is an unusual icon for which I can find no reference in the manual. It is a yellow box, overlaid at the bottom left hand side with a green oval. Inside the oval is a white rectangle (landscape orientation)
    A0030: Page GB 35 of User Manual says near the top that it means
    "Displayed when the recording is stopped because of an unexpected error,"
    Originally Posted by davhardy

Q0031: Some options are greyed out on menus.
    A0031: The options are not available because they would clash with something else.
    In the case of ‘Installation’ sdesign said:-

“It's obviously greyed out to prevent you messing with settings during recording (maybe to avoid losing recordings) but in case anyone wanted to bypass this I thought I'd post a workaround that I accidently stumbled across. Not sure if there's any reason why you'd want to do it though but here it is anyway.

You will notice that during recording the installation menu is greyed out. If you want to access this menu during recording you can still do so by pressing the number 4.”

Q0032: What all-in-one remotes work with the 9200T
    A0032:Consider a One for All Kameleon 6 in 1 second generation
    Originally Posted by ukrad

Hi. I have one of these, and although there are no specific downloads for the 9200 from One for All yet the learning function works fine, and I use my Kameleon to control the 9200 without ant problems.
    Post 9 on ‘multiply’s thread on remotes by roycymru.

Q0033: Help with all-in-one learning function.
    A0033: The OFA remotes are JP1 upgradeable, ie you can program the remote from your PC via an interface. see http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/. That's the only way I could get my OFA6 to control my Digital cable box and DVD and AV amp as well as TV and VCR.
    Post 12 on ‘multiply’s thread on remotes by aldaweb on roycymru’s thread

Thanks to all the originators and those who commented on the first edition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    brian9200T wrote:
    The Humax Global site only has general answers.
    Sdesign was pointing out that the general answers covered some of the 9200T problems.

Yes, the Global FAQ is more general, but some of the answers seemed relevant. There was also an explaination of how the System ID number is generated and what it meant. Not sure I understood it though.
    Forum Member
    Brian,

Good stuff. You deserve a lot of praise for compiling this - 2 points have really helped me out.

I wonder how youcould get access to re-edit your first post rather than adding new posts with updates? I don't know how the mechanics of a forum works.

Perhaps if you send a Private Message(PM) to a moderator?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian,

Good stuff. You deserve a lot of praise for compiling this - 2 points have really helped me out.

I wonder how youcould get access to re-edit your first post rather than adding new posts with updates? I don't know how the mechanics of a forum works.

Perhaps if you send a Private Message(PM) to a moderator?

Thanks but I am stretching the function of the Forum as it is and it seems to be working so I'll leave well alone.
    Thanks also for letting me know it is proving useful.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Very useful FAQs. However, I tried one of the answers and it didn't work (or I misunderstand it):
    "Q0008: How do I get information about the next programme quickly?
    Press the ‘I’ button which shows information on the current program then press the ‘I’ button again.
    "
    On my set this second press gives me the extended info on the current prog (and this is what the manual says should happen). I haven't yet found any way to see the 'next' prog info except via the Guide.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Catbed wrote:
    Very useful FAQs. However, I tried one of the answers and it didn't work (or I misunderstand it):
    "Q0008: How do I get information about the next programme quickly?
    "
    On my set this second press gives me the extended info on the current prog (and this is what the manual says should happen). I haven't yet found any way to see the 'next' prog info except via the Guide.

My mistake.
    Correction to Answer Q0008.
    As per Page GB21 of User Manual though not obvious.

Press the 'I' button(The General Information Bar will be displayed giving information on current program. If there is a next program you will see an icon for a right cursor, Number 7 in the illustration)

Press the Right Cursor (The information will now relate to the next program.)
    Press 'I' again and you will see details of the next program.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correction to Q0006/A0006: How do I record the program I have already been watching up to 2 hours as long as no more than 2 programs will be recorded simultaneously as a result?
    A0006: The answer in previous editions was wrong.
    I did a test and found as follows:- Rewind to the start of the program within the 2 hour buffer using the rewind key. Press the Record button. You can now fast forward to where you were and continue watching if you wish. You must leave the box tuned to that channel till the program is finished. (This seems to contradict the manual Page GB31 which says “….the recorder will not save what you are currently watching”.)