Options

Virgin train E-tickets...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
Forum Member
Hi I recently booked a ticket and apparently you need to take the card used for payment but it was on my dad's card and he won't be coming. Does anyone know how important is to take the credit card? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    according to Virgin Trains web site

"To travel, you must bring the printed e-ticket and the payment card used to make the booking.
    If you don't have them, a new ticket at the full fare will have to be bought to travel."

My advise is to contact Virgin trains on the number at the bottom of ur E-ticket
  • Options
    LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know the last time I got my tickets I just put in a payment card and it just printed out my tickets, I didn't need enter my booking number

I expect the original payment card is need for security, as the email with the booking number isn't sent securely
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm ok thanks, they will probably just tell me to book new tickets. :( I really need to read the small print from now on!
  • Options
    That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    It's pot luck to be honest. Sometimes they conductor will check the payment card, but most of the time they won't. Could you borrow your dad's card for the trip?

Since e tickets are only available when you've booked a specific train I suspect you've got a none refundable ticket. I'd be tempted to give virgin a ring and see what they suggest.
    Lakeuk wrote: »
    I know the last time I got my tickets I just put in a payment card and it just printed out my tickets, I didn't need enter my booking number

I expect the original payment card is need for security, as the email with the booking number isn't sent securely
    That's for the Fast Ticket machine rather than e tickets which are just printed out at home.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    last Saturday my e-ticket wasn't checked at all. :confused:

pot luck I guess.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi I recently booked a ticket and apparently you need to take the card used for payment but it was on my dad's card and he won't be coming. Does anyone know how important is to take the credit card? Thanks!

There must be loads if instances where someone who is not travelling buys a ticket for someone else.
    You say E ticket - can you print it out online in advance? If you can then it is probably just a standard line left in the information.
    The same line is added to airlines bookings, but there is also a question when adding the passenger names, saying 'Are you paying for the booking?' to clarify the passenger/payer.
    But in my experience, i've never been asked by an airline to show the CC that purchased the ticket, and I reckon Virgin trains will be the same.
    You cannot provide the CC that paid for it, as it isn't yours. You won't be the first person in this situation. But have a copy of the booking, with ticket number to take with you. They'd be really mean if they allow a 3rd party booking to be made, with no intention of honouring it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ff999 wrote: »
    There must be loads if instances where someone who is not travelling buys a ticket for someone else.
    You say E ticket - can you print it out online in advance? If you can then it is probably just a standard line left in the information.
    The same line is added to airlines bookings, but there is also a question when adding the passenger names, saying 'Are you paying for the booking?' to clarify the passenger/payer.
    But in my experience, i've never been asked by an airline to show the CC that purchased the ticket, and I reckon Virgin trains will be the same.
    You cannot provide the CC that paid for it, as it isn't yours. You won't be the first person in this situation. But have a copy of the booking, with ticket number to take with you. They'd be really mean if they allow a 3rd party booking to be made, with no intention of honouring it.
    The ticket has the last 4 digits of the card number on it. In theory the conductor should check the card number when checking the ticket, but the reality is that most of the time they don't bother. The problem is that you can't guarantee that they won't :(
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don’t have the card you paid for the ticket - then you could be in trouble.
    They may make you pay for another ticket. They can be right funny.

On a recent journey this week, the eticket was checked and the card was checked as well.

I had to cringe when the conductor and a passenger sitting at the same table as me got into a heated argument. The passenger couldn’t find one of many appendix tickets you get with those normal tickets from the machines. I am not sure which part was missing - but the conductor was going to make him pay full price again if it wasn’t found.
    The passenger was getting very high rate indeed. He found it though

I got my first eticket last week. I never read everything properly and didn’t print it out. I just assumed that I would need the reference number and I would use my card at the ticket machines to print out the tickets (it’s what I normally always used to do). when this didn’t work, I queued up at the counter for ages - them behind the counter told me I needed to have already printed out of the eticket and refused to print it for me when I asked (I know, it does say very clearly print out your email first and that the station wont print it our for you - but it always said that for the other type of ticket) However, I was lucky that they had an internet cafe nearby at London Euston to print the bloody thing out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got my first eticket last week. I never read everything properly and didn’t print it out. I just assumed that I would need the reference number and I would use my card at the ticket machines to print out the tickets (it’s what I normally always used to do).

This option is still available, but its separate to e-ticket.

I hate the 'fastticket' machines requiring not only your card but an obscure, long reference number ; because anyone stealing your credit card is going to want to collect your train tickets obviously! ;)
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    This option is still available, but its separate to e-ticket.

I hate the 'fastticket' machines requiring not only your card but an obscure, long reference number ; because anyone stealing your credit card is going to want to collect your train tickets obviously! ;)
    Last time I picked up my tickets from the machine they only needed my card, not the reference number aswell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last time I picked up my tickets from the machine they only needed my card, not the reference number aswell.

maybe its just me - the Euston ones have always needed a code as well for me.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats the station I use too. Strange!
  • Options
    alr837alr837 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you go along with your Dad and collect the tickets before you need to travel? I have done that before and they've never checked the tickets once they are in hand.
    If I've gone on the day to collect tickets that were booked by someone else, then you can usually get away with it, but some are a bit funny - I always wonder how business people manage as their tickets are usually booked by someone else!
    When I've booked tickets myself to collect at station, I've also got asked for the card and Ref nos - although this was also a train to Euston!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alr837 wrote: »
    Can you go along with your Dad and collect the tickets before you need to travel? I have done that before and they've never checked the tickets once they are in hand.

the problem is that etickets are not 'collected', they are printed off at home. Sometimes they are checked before you board, in which case having Dad along would do the trick, but sometimes they are checked on board instead/as well.....
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a way around it however - before boarding the train - find one of the crew members who will be aboard for that journey. explain it too him that the card that was used cant come with you because its your dads. and show the eticket and card to him. so when the conducter comes around - refer to the person you saw previously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thats the station I use too. Strange!
    I think it's down to whether you have any active bookings on the card (including in the recent past). I've had a couple of times where I haven't needed to give the reference number and it's always when I haven't had any tickets for a few weeks and have just booked a single ticket for that journey.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to try and take the card, don't really wana risk wasting money on another one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I took the card but wasn't needed - there weren't any barriers and the inspector didn't ask to see it!