ADSL Cables.

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Does it matter if they have only 2 pins as I have leads that also have 4 pins showing?

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you mean the cable that goes from the phone socket to the router? If so then only two wires are needed. There after all only two wires carrying the signal from the exchange.

Some cables do have four wires in if they are intended for a phone or fax as the other wires could be used for other purposes. Or as the RJ11 plug is four pin they could have all four contacts available in the plug even though only two are actually needed.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Do you mean the cable that goes from the phone socket to the router? If so then only two wires are needed. There after all only two wires carrying the signal from the exchange.

Some cables do have four wires in if they are intended for a phone or fax as the other wires could be used for other purposes. Or as the RJ11 plug is four pin they could have all four contacts available in the plug even though only two are actually needed.

Ah Cheers, I thought that might be the case.

I've got plenty of leads now so will hopefully be OK.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Cheers, I thought that might be the case.

I've got plenty of leads now so will hopefully be OK.
    Ah well maybe, maybe not.

I have come across two variants of these cables. One has the line pair connected to the outer two contacts of the RJ11 plug and others to the inner two contacts. Which can be a real pain in the wotsits if all four pins are connected as you often can't see how they are wired at the BT plug end (and no you can't rely on the plugs being wired 1 to 1!)

And more than once I've plugged a cable in to find it's wired the "wrong" way for the device I'm using and have to try a whole bunch to find one wired the "right"way :eek::mad::D