Options

Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 18)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,838
Administrator
Continuation of: Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 17)
0rch1deam wrote: »
Watched most of that one, and sure BR enjoyed a lot of what was on show too. Majority of the team played superbly, and only Jones unable to control a silly tantrum spoiled an excellent match. Very entertaining with some brilliant footwork from 'Our Kids'.

Comments

• Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First post. :D
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to join us in having a new "Part"! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi!! I have first post, you two ^^^^ don't count anyways!
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi!! I have first post, you two ^^^^ don't count anyways!

:( That cut me deep, bro.

:p
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Happy new thread everyone. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Before any supporters of a certain other club bring it up , I wonder how long we'll be on part 18 ? ;):D
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Dangerman wrote: »
    Before any supporters of a certain other club bring it up , I wonder how long we'll be on part 18 ? ;):D

I brought it up at 21:39 :D on the united thread:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    I brought it up at 21:39 :D on the united thread:p

I meant on this thread , I try not to read that other thread if possible - the quality of posting on this one is so much better :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally got to watch a copied version from a friend yesterday evening :)

When Coutinho left due to injury we went in to meltdown and was unable to hold the ball. Which was pretty disappointing after such a good half.

I also think as much as I love Gerrard he needs to learn when not to play the long ball. As one of most creative players he should have been the one to dictate play from the back better than what he did. First time I have ever criticised the guy :( hoping he learns from this game.

Moses was awesome great start in a Liverpool shirt I hope we can buy him at the end of the season if he continues like this.

I really do feel as nearly everyone has said here that we need to play better second half. Southampton who are next league match are no mugs they have spent quite a lot over the summer and they are just gelling the team together. This could be a very hard game, not time to go complacent and think its Southampton and we should win easily.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depth of squad is possibly what separates us from the likes of Utd, City & Chelsea (maybe even Spurs after their summer spending). I think we now have a starting 11 to match pretty much anyone and in certain positions we do have quality back-up but over the course of a season where we're going to get multiple injuries and suspension at one time we're are going to be a bit thin. We didn't register a full 25 senior players for the PL squad which says a lot (Arsenal registered even fewer than us).

I guess the issue is that with a finite (if large) amount of money the club and manager has to decide whether to invest in players who are likely to be first team and therefore have a direct impact on results or on good squad players who are less likely to play, be a drain on club money if they sit on the bench the whole time but are critical to a season-long push for top 4.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gerrard sadly had a poor game on his 400th appearance, I really fear he is playing at times as he is the only "undroppable" outfield player (along with Sturridge until Suarez is back), he has yet to really impose himself in the middle when under pressure - if only one player is bought in January it must be a quality CM/DM. One has to ask why in the second half the side keeps falling back and failing to get the ball out successfully - the answer is Gerrard for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Gerrard sadly had a poor game on his 400th appearance, I really fear he is playing at times as he is the only "undroppable" outfield player (along with Sturridge until Suarez is back), he has yet to really impose himself in the middle when under pressure - if only one player is bought in January it must be a quality CM/DM. One has to ask why in the second half the side keeps falling back and failing to get the ball out successfully - the answer is Gerrard for me.

There is an irony in here. Not too long ago it was thought that Shelvey would be the natural successor to Gerrard, he just needed to stop getting sent off and making daft errors, but he was the rough copy for him. So we get rid of him?

Gerrards passes are still there most of the time, but the concentration for a whole match is waning and we are going to end up desperate for his relief/successor before too long. I honestly don't think he's fit enough now to carry for a full 90 minutes every game now - the spark is still there, but it's not firing 100% sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an irony in here. Not too long ago it was thought that Shelvey would be the natural successor to Gerrard, he just needed to stop getting sent off and making daft errors, but he was the rough copy for him. So we get rid of him?

Rodgers told Shelvey where he lay in the scheme of things, that he would be a squad player for two more seasons. He wanted to stay but he also wanted a regular game but he did not want to end up being loaned out here and there for a few seasons, so a sale was arranged. A few clubs were interested he probably choose the right one.
    Gerrards passes are still there most of the time, but the concentration for a whole match is waning and we are going to end up desperate for his relief/successor before too long. I honestly don't think he's fit enough now to carry for a full 90 minutes every game now - the spark is still there, but it's not firing 100% sadly.

Agree he just hadn't got the endurance for a full game.

With Coutinho out for a few games (it looks like) it'll be interesting to see what happens - play Hendo ahead of Lucas/Gerrard I guess.
  • Options
    edduk1981edduk1981 Posts: 2,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not good news on Coutinho

Liverpool have confirmed Philippe Coutinho will undergo a procedure on the shoulder injury he sustained in Monday evening's 2-2 draw with Swansea City.

The Brazilian was forced from the field during the second half of the contest at the Liberty Stadium following a challenge with Ashley Williams.

After being assessed by the Reds medical staff, it's been decided that Coutinho will now have surgical stabilisation on the AC joint in his shoulder.

Liverpool hope to have the 21-year-old back in contention again towards the end of October.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me Henderson is Gerrard's long term successor although I think Lucas might be our next captain before Hendo gets the nod.

I'm really not sure what BR should be doing about Aspas and Sterling. We've learned not to simply write players off after a few bad games as BR has a knack of improving players over a period of time. I suspect what they both need is some game time to gain experience and confidence in the PL. The problem is, can we afford to carry one or both of them for half a season while they gain that experience and confidence? This is where involvement in Europe is a benefit. Without it we're stuck with a few LC games to test these players.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Countinho went off, Gerrard no longer had a conduit to pass to in order to maintain possession, so was almost forced to go long. I'm not sure Henderson can be that player and the other forward options at the time were Aspas, Moses (later Sterling) and Sturridge. To be fair to Aspas, it's not his natural role to be a Number 10 type player. Alberto, in time, maybe?

When Suarez returns, he can naturally drop a little deeper behind Sturridge and help in this respect and be a decent out ball for Gerrard/Lucas. Lucas must take some of responsibility for Liverpool's regression in the second half as he, as the defensive midfielder, should also be able to dictate play.

It's a dilemma as I'd rather see Gerrard a little further forward if Coutinho is absent - but we need someone alongside Lucas ideally to facilitate that (much like when Alonso and Mascherano were there). Perhaps when Allen's fit he can sit there with Lucas and allow Gerrard to move forward should Coutinho be unavailable.

I'm not saying Gerrard had a good game but I am saying there were a variety of other reasons the game panned out the way it did. The longer ball was probably our best chance of creating something (as Sturridge continued to make great runs) as the others simply weren't retaining possession well enough when they did get it.

Perhaps Alberto's performance earlier in the week will see him promoted ahead of Aspas in solving the Coutinho puzzle before Suarez comes back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See if Liverpool had bought Williams that (probably) would not have happened! :mad:

This is what will happen most games I'd say

Aspas
    Suarez----Moses
    Sturridge

Or
    Hendo
    Suarez----Sturridge---Moses (stick in Aspas or Sterling for the Southampton game)

Alberto did himself no harm last night, dunno if he is ready for 90 in the PL though.

I forgot about Allen!

Suarez
    Allen
    Moses
    Sturridge
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's somehow wrong that a defender can be banned having been sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity yet Williams can cynically deny us of Coutinho through an unnecessarily cynical challenge and stay on the pitch.

Anyway. after the Southamption game, I'd temporarily go with...
    Henderson Suarez Moses
    Sturridge

...as our front four. For Southamption, I'd be tempted with Alberto in the Suarez position considering his form and that we are at home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    It's somehow wrong that a defender can be banned having been sent off for denying a goal scoring opportunity yet Williams can cynically deny us of Coutinho through an unnecessarily cynical challenge and stay on the pitch.

Anyway. after the Southamption game, I'd temporarily go with...
    Henderson Suarez Moses
    Sturridge

...as our front four. For Southamption, I'd be tempted with Alberto in the Suarez position considering his form and that we are at home.

Williams will just be gloating about this, no secret he despises Liverpool.

What about Ibe, is he not capable of coming in somewhere? Another tough and talented youngster we have.
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    See if Liverpool had bought Williams that (probably) would not have happened! :mad:

This is what will happen most games I'd say

Aspas
    Suarez----Moses
    Sturridge
    You're joking right?
    If Rodgers had bought Williams I'd have seriously started doubting him!
    No way will/should Aspas be in at the minute either.
    We can only hope that Aspas & Borini do a "Henderson" and come good after a couple of seasons, although I'm not convinced they have what it takes, time will tell I suppose!Front 3 of Suarez Moses Sturridge for me with Coutinho injured.
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I agree. I was raging at the time over it and I still am now knowing that Coutinho is to miss over a month :mad:

I know the challenge itself didnt cause the shoulder injury but Williams would have stopped Coutinho by just leaving his leg out, it was that extra bit of bite he put on it that I think winded Coutinho and stopped him protecting his fall properly.

I hope Rodgers has/does speak out about that cynical tackle from Williams. I'd like him to recommend the FA look at it.

I know thats unrealistic but as Sloth says we now miss one of our best players for up to six weeks because Williams is a plank! He carries on with his one yellow card to his name, Grr!
  • Options
    taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,955
    Forum Member
    News breaking that Coutinho will be out for up to six weeks, missing most of October. Good thing we've got Suarez coming back soon. Maybe...just maybe in the run up to Christmas we'll eventually get our first 11 on the field for a few games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously I was joking.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    News breaking that Coutinho will be out for up to six weeks, missing most of October. Good thing we've got Suarez coming back soon. Maybe...just maybe in the run up to Christmas we'll eventually get our first 11 on the field for a few games.

:(:(:(

Dilemma for BR now.
  • Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    For me Henderson is Gerrard's long term successor although I think Lucas might be our next captain before Hendo gets the nod.

I'm really not sure what BR should be doing about Aspas and Sterling. We've learned not to simply write players off after a few bad games as BR has a knack of improving players over a period of time. I suspect what they both need is some game time to gain experience and confidence in the PL. The problem is, can we afford to carry one or both of them for half a season while they gain that experience and confidence? This is where involvement in Europe is a benefit. Without it we're stuck with a few LC games to test these players.

Agger will be the next captain

Even though it is a great loss to lose Coutinho at this point of the season..But not as bad as we think with LS coming back in....I'm more worried about our lack luster displays in the 2nd half of matches
  • Options
    Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure Lucas is anywhere near ready to be captain right now. The role he plays in the team sees him in a lot of scuffles and always a risk of a booking (or worse!). I'm not certain that's quite right for a captain.

I think Agger will take over from Gerrard and, if he continues as he is right now, Henderson will take over from Agger.
This discussion has been closed.