Glee: Will they re-cast Finn?

cheesebigginscheesebiggins Posts: 337
Forum Member
After the shocking and devistating news of Cory Monteith's passing- I was crying for about an hour! :cry:
I have prayed many times for his family and friends, also can't imagine the pain they are gowing through- especially Lea considering they'd just got engaged!
This leads on to my question; what do you think Glee/Fox will do? Hire a new love interest for Rachel? Re-cast Finn? Or just forget about a love interest?
If i'm honest, I think Fox should just pull the plug on Glee, it'd likely be for the best and out of respect for Cory.

RIP Cory Monteith, you will be sorely missed! xx

Comments

• SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a chance in hell of them recasting Finn. They'll probably just respectfully write him out.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. They'll just write him a happy ending that doesn't involve being on the show. They can't write him being dead or in trouble or that would be cruel to the cast.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch the show myself but I did read earlier on that it had been given a 2 season renewal, so I certainly don't think they'll just pull the plug and cancel all of that - I suspect the actor himself wouldn't want people he considered friends to lose their jobs because of him.

I suppose it'll depend on whether or not the cast want to give him a suitable send off and remember him on screen. If they feel it would be too hard, you might find they'll write the character out by saying he's landed his dream job and gone off to be a star - something like that.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re-casting Finn would be little short of disrespectful. The character will be dropped; if Lea Michelle quits as Rachel (which she may considering the situation) they'll write them as going off into the sunset together. If she decides not to leave then I have a feeling they'll treat him as an off screen character, possibly not even mentioning him at all. Everyone knows what has happened.
  • lil_boolil_boo Posts: 1,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    definitely not! I really don't know how they will incorporate this on to the show, the only thing we can be certain of right now is that Glee won't be back in September, with filming due to start next week, it will have to be put on hold until they figure out how/if to continue with the show.

They are in an impossible situation with this, if they gloss over it and say Finn has moved away, there will probably be an uproar at that, at the same time, if they decide to kill him off could you really expect Lea to act that storyline?
  • Carlisle156Carlisle156 Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so.

Lea Michele was his real-life fiance so it'd be very disrespectful and rude when Finnchel would still presumably exist in some capacity.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best thing they could do is write him out with a happy ending off screen and dedicate the episode/season to him.

It would be terrible to have Lea act out any death or accident and it wouldn't be fair to the other actors to cancel the whole show either. As long as it's respectful to Cory's memory.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they'll ask the rest of the cast (Lea Michelle in particular) what they want to do.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine anything they could write that Lea could possibly be a part of - the poor girl has lost her fiance and every moment on the Glee set will be a massive reminder. Such a tragic thing to happen. I enjoy Glee although I've drifted a bit in the last two seasons. But the news today was just absolutely devastating - it hit me much harder than a lot of celeb deaths, probably because he was so young and seemed to be sorting himself out. So so sad.
  • ElectricBoy171ElectricBoy171 Posts: 20,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They'd never recast him.

I don't know what they'd do with his character. I agree with Gulftastic in that they'll probably ask the cast so they can get a fitting tribute. I would also expect the season to probably be cut to just 12 episodes because I believe they were gonna do it in two blocks of 12.

This would give them time to re write and a longer time before they have to start filming.
  • cheesebigginscheesebiggins Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    If i'm honest, I expect to hear soon that Lea cannot carry on with the show (it'd just be too painful for her!); and without her and Cory, there is no Glee, therefore the show will be pulled. :(
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    They'd never recast him.

I don't know what they'd do with his character. I agree with Gulftastic in that they'll probably ask the cast so they can get a fitting tribute. I would also expect the season to probably be cut to just 12 episodes because I believe they were gonna do it in two blocks of 12.

This would give them time to re write and a longer time before they have to start filming.
    Being America when I suspect money counts I wouldn't be surprised if Filming commenced with minimal delay and rewritten scripts until a exit can be written. I don't think they would cancel as Fox would be worried by the money they would lose.
    RIP Cory.
  • xxLoopy_louxxxxLoopy_louxx Posts: 21,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way they could cast somebody else as Finn. IMO it would be disrespectful to Cory to do that and also to Lea as I would imagine they would only recast him so that Finchel could still be together.

Who knows what they will do? I don't think having a storyline where he dies is really appropriate either considering his relationship with Lea.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I think they'll ask the rest of the cast (Lea Michelle in particular) what they want to do.

I agree. I can't see Ryan, Ian or Brad doing anything without speaking to the rest of the cast, they were like a family.

I disagree with other posters though about them not doing a story about Finn dying because it would be disrespectful. I think it could/would be done absolutely respectfully and it would be my preferred choice for how they deal with Cory's death.
    I would find it such a huge cop out if they had Finn off screen somewhere being referred to but never seen considering all the emphasis that there has been on his and Rachel's story and journey together.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    I agree. I can't see Ryan, Ian or Brad doing anything without speaking to the rest of the cast, they were like a family.

I disagree with other posters though about them not doing a story about Finn dying because it would be disrespectful. I think it could/would be done absolutely respectfully and it would be my preferred choice for how they deal with Cory's death.
    I would find it such a huge cop out if they had Finn off screen somewhere being referred to but never seen considering all the emphasis that there has been on his and Rachel's story and journey together.

There's no such thing as a cop out when real life is forcing something to happen within the show. The writers never would have wanted such a storyline to happen in Season 5 and there's no reason why they should do just because Finn's character has had to come to a sudden end.

We all know what's happened to Cory Monteith and there are many ways they can round off the characters of both Finn and Rachel (possibly) without reflecting what's happened in real life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a cop out when real life is forcing something to happen within the show. The writers never would have wanted such a storyline to happen in Season 5 and there's no reason why they should do just because Finn's character has had to come to a sudden end.

We all know what's happened to Cory Monteith and there are many ways they can round off the characters of both Finn and Rachel (possibly) without reflecting what's happened in real life.

You are right in that it's not a deliberate cop out because the circumstances could never have been imagined. However, the show has dealt with such an issue before, the sudden absence of Sam Evans due to Chord's contract negotiations breaking down, Damien McGinty's character being given a throwaway off screen reason for no longer being around for example.
    Both of those decisions came in for criticism by both fans and TV reviewers alike for the ephemeral nature in which two characters absences were dealt with and that was when the actors portraying them were still available to appear on the show. The repeated absence of Joe, Sugar and Unique, none of whom are main characters, have also been criticised for being ignored or treated with a passing reference to "bird flu" or other excuses. These are minor characters whose screen absence is noted by the people who watch and the people who review.

Having Finn somewhere in the "off screen" world would be such a disservice to the relationship he (obviously the character) had with that of Rachel Berry. It was the heart of Glee, even if the show expanded to create more "stars" and it was central to the premise of the story they were telling.

For the show to ignore, or seem to ignore by virtue of creating an off screen fate for Finn which isn't then directly addressed by the cast on screen in some capacity would be cop out in my opinion.
    I'm not asking to see Lea Michele distraught on screen, I don't think anyone who calls themselves a fan of the show would be expecting anything similar, but Cory's death needs to be addressed in show through the medium of the character he brought to life - Finn Hudson.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Cadiva wrote: »
    You are right in that it's not a deliberate cop out because the circumstances could never have been imagined. However, the show has dealt with such an issue before, the sudden absence of Sam Evans due to Chord's contract negotiations breaking down, Damien McGinty's character being given a throwaway off screen reason for no longer being around for example.
    Both of those decisions came in for criticism by both fans and TV reviewers alike for the ephemeral nature in which two characters absences were dealt with and that was when the actors portraying them were still available to appear on the show. The repeated absence of Joe, Sugar and Unique, none of whom are main characters, have also been criticised for being ignored or treated with a passing reference to "bird flu" or other excuses. These are minor characters whose screen absence is noted by the people who watch and the people who review.

Having Finn somewhere in the "off screen" world would be such a disservice to the relationship he (obviously the character) had with that of Rachel Berry. It was the heart of Glee, even if the show expanded to create more "stars" and it was central to the premise of the story they were telling.

For the show to ignore, or seem to ignore by virtue of creating an off screen fate for Finn which isn't then directly addressed by the cast on screen in some capacity would be cop out in my opinion.
    I'm not asking to see Lea Michele distraught on screen, I don't think anyone who calls themselves a fan of the show would be expecting anything similar, but Cory's death needs to be addressed in show through the medium of the character he brought to life - Finn Hudson.

In an ideal world, I would agree with you entirely. But I just can't see how they could possibly confront Finn's death on screen without Rachel ever mentioning it. And there's every likelihood that Lea Michele will not be prepared to do so. In which case, the story would not be done justice and would leave some real problems in where they go forward with Rachel.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If i'm honest, I think Fox should just pull the plug on Glee, it'd likely be for the best and out of respect for Cory.

I wouldn't say that was respectful at all. They'll write him out. How they do it will be interesting though, as it isn't a usual death since Lea was in a relationship with him - so either way, it's going to be hard for her, which is very sad :( On the other hand, maybe Lea would want to do a proper tribute to him in the show also - after all, presumably it was through Glee they met? So in my opinion, respectfully killing off the character followed by an amazing tribute episode would be a good option.

I can't imagine Lea leaving Glee though. At the end of the day, Glee made them. I think out of respect to both Cory and her fans, she'll stay.
  • gemmaovwales03gemmaovwales03 Posts: 7,183
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

This. I think when the time is right they will sit down with the cast and ask what they would like to do. I'd be very surprised if we had a full series this year I can't see them starting production anytime soon at the most I'd say there would be half a series. It's such a hard situation because they were all so close and Cory was a main character. Ugh such a horrible thing to happen :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    In an ideal world, I would agree with you entirely. But I just can't see how they could possibly confront Finn's death on screen without Rachel ever mentioning it. And there's every likelihood that Lea Michele will not be prepared to do so. In which case, the story would not be done justice and would leave some real problems in where they go forward with Rachel.

I think it's going to be the hardest thing this show has ever had to confront but Ryan Murphy et all have shown they are not afraid of controversy, hardship and potential failure in the way they deal with things on screen.
    Whether Finn "dies" or is shipped off to some "happy ever after" on screen is going to be tough for all involved because they're going to have to address his character's future one way or another and that will have to involve Rachel Berry if Lea chooses to remain with on Glee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd never recast him. If he had quit maybe but not now.

The options are;

Finn has gone off somewhere to work - They may decide to do this, it will be a sad end to character but what can they do

He dies in the show. I think if Lea wasn't his real life partner then they would do this. But how could they do this and have her act the loss. I just can't see it happening.

Rachel doesn't return and she and Kurt are referred to off camera. I am not sure Lea will return. How do you get over this.

It's sad
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    double post:o
  • OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    Never in a million years will they recast Finn - that would be hugely offensive to the Corey and his fans IMO.

If Lea stayed on the show I imagine Finn may well be killed off off screen, possibly beginning the series with his funeral. I do not think they would just say Finn was off somewhere or something - I just don't think it would feel right when watching the show we all would know that Corey wasn't there any more. If they went with the death route, there is no denying the episode could be immensely powerful, but then again, the death of Finn would obviously greatly affect the show, and I doubt a grieving Lea would want to play a grieving Rachel if you get me.

If Lea decides to leave (which I feel she might - she has a lot of grieving to do and I imagine carrying on with Glee would be a very painful experience for her) I think they will be written off together - perhaps with them moving abroad together or something.

Whatever they decide it is going to be tough for all involved, very tragic.:(
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will all due respect , why was a 31 year old man still in High School?
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Never in a million years would a recast be even considered for the character. It just seems too disrespectful to not only Cory but to the other cast members who, by all accounts, thought very highly of him. Not only that but Glee fans would never accept another actor taking over the role.

At this point, how the character's departure will be addressed seems to depend on Lea Michele and if she wants to / is able to portray the story.

But this is very early days - I'd expect an announcement from Fox stating they're postponing any further production for the time being.