Options

Who doesn't have a smartphone? I don't

13»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    As someone else said, if you have a desktop PC, why would you ever want to connect to the internet via a tiny phone screen. It's very easy just to wait until I get home. I really don't want to know what somebody's just posted on Facebook when I'm walking around in the town or countryside.

Well, I have a dual 27 inch HD monitor and high end PC at home, where I spend most time, but the mobile definitely has its place. For example:

- There are the 'free' phone calls (for £5 a month it saves me £7.50 a month on my landline).
    - the free text messages for when I'm not sure if someone will be able to answer the phone (they call me back when they can or tell me I can phone).
    - the bed time podcasting of radio programs I've missed (free via home wifi)
    - the built-in maps for use in an emergency when out and about (I don't use GPS though)
    - the alarm function for occasional use (I switch it off at night)
    - the calculator for occasional use when shopping
    - the camera for the rare occasions when I forget or can't carry my big DSLR

Not interested in Facebook, Twitter or anything like that, so apart from the above, I don't need one. The battery lasts 2 or 3 days between charges. It's an old Samsung S3 mini costing £90, weight 110 grams, I don't need 4G, bargain.
  • Options
    barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :
    idlewilde wrote: »
    DS Luddites, assemble.

:D:D:D:D
    I'm assembling :) ok I do have one of those little nokia phones that you can just call and makes texts on .I do take some stick about it but I can't be bothered with a phone that seems heavy and does a gziliion things I'd never use it for .
    I do have a car however and it's not a Reliant Robin !!!
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a mobile phone well over 20 years ago and it was crap - all it did was phone calls. I got rid after a year. I got some oth really crap Nokia type ones later (those horrible candy bar and flip type ones) but again apart from calls and texts they were useless.

However since 2009 I have had 23 different smartphones. I nearly always have 2 on me at a time, sometimes 3 (mind you at the moment I am down to 1 which isn't good). If you don't "get" smartphones then hard luck really. You are missing out on carrying all of humanities knowledge with you where ever you go. And of course you have all of the other functions that people have mentioned.

Also are people REALLY using desktops at home for anything other than gaming? Is this 2002?
  • Options
    slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I haven't got any kind of mobile phone or device

Pretty early on I decided they weren't for me with the small screen that I could hardly see and the little buttons that looked too fiddly

They got bigger, trust me when I say that. Plus, don't really see smartphones as a phone first. I see it as a pocket computer which lets me get shit done no matter where I am, provided i've got mobile data signal or wifi. The calling part for me, is a bonus. ;-)
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one but I wish I didn't. I hardly ever use the Internet on it because I find it so awkward to use on a phone and I can just hold off until I'm at a computer. And I don't get the point of apps. I need to think about getting an old style phone with buttons - coz I hate touch screen!

On the other hand whilst I don't like Whatsapp, it's what all my friends use, so I kind of have no choice. Does Whatsapp work with any non touch screen phones?
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    DS Luddites, assemble.

Present and correct Sir! *snaps heels*:)

I don't. I have a Nokia 6310i. It is a design classic and I love it. It does calls, texts and acts as an alarm clock which is all I ask of it.

It does give send service providers into a bit of a tail spin though. "What do you mean you don't want a shiny new posh phone?" "You have a what?" What is one of those? hang on I will speak to my supervisor?"

Posted from my ZX80. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Nowt wrong with that, OP
    I know a couple of people who still use the 'brick' style phones but I've GOT to yell you this..

I decided that as I've got a Windows laptop, Windows tablet and Pocket PC I might as well get a Windows phone. So I went into Carphone where house and saw one
    for ninety quid for the hand set only and fifty five quid with Sim. So I went into the O2 shop and bought the same one for fifty quid then went back to Carphone Warehouse and told one of the staff I got the LUmia 535 cheaper at the O2 shop,.

Cheeky or what?
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recent got my first smartphone and love it. Got it really because I have a long train commute each day and I can just idle away a bit of time checking my emails etc.
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    I do, a Samsung Galaxy, not that I use it as such. I use mine mainly for if I need to phone someone when I'm out - seldom, or texting. I might occasionally look at an email that's come through, but that's about it. I don't take pictures with it, I've got a perfectly good camera for that and I've also got a ipod for music. The best phone I ever had was a Samsung clam shell, I loved that phone it was very tactile, but unfortunately I dropped it down my sisters toilet. :(
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my colleagues was out and about today and wanted to know what her calendar was for the week, so I took a photo and sent it to her by using WhatsApp.
    I suppose she could have waited until she was next in the office to see her calendar...

However such phones are not a substitute for everything, as this item on radio 4's Today this morning shows
    Hikers in the Lake District have been warned not to rely on mobile phones to plot their route on the fells, as mountain rescuers in the national park voice concern about the current spike in callouts. Volunteers with the Coniston Mountain Rescue Team in the Lake District have already been sent into action 47 times this year – more than in the whole of 2014. Jeff Carroll is Deputy Leader of Coniston Mountain Rescue Team.

Make sure you have a proper map and compass if you are going out into the mountains.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    There are also lots of things that can relate to various hobbies. For example I use an app that logs different beers that I have.

You tried TROOPER?
    I agree with you about using it for hobbies as I need to keep notes for my writing (EG, the specs for a heavily armed and armoured robotic dragon)). It's alright uploading notes to cloud storage but it's getting the access right all the time I'm having trouble with. In my experience, Android have the best camera apps but as for gaming, I recommend emulkators as games for smartphones all follow the same theme..
  • Options
    Betty SwollaxBetty Swollax Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was away recently and lost my bearings, typed in the the name of my B&B and the street and it told me I was 11mins walk away, popped it in my pocket and it told me the way :D .

You could have just asked someone the way. Oh I forgot, people don't talk to each other nowadays do they. ;-)
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have just asked someone the way. Oh I forgot, people don't talk to each other nowadays do they. ;-)
    People who knew the area would likely have no idea where the B&Bs were seeing as how they have their own homes ;)

Now granted if you wanted to know where the nearest pub was or a newsagent you could ask a random stranger. But even then you might get a list of instructions that take five minutes to dictate and you have no way of storing (a mobile phone would at least let you jot them down). I get asked for directions quite a lot because I do a lot of walking in my leisure time. In nearly all cases I have to start with "Do you have a pen and paper handy...?" :D

A couple of weeks ago I used my mobile phone to find the nearest postbox to my office. I just googled it and then got turn by turn instructions as I walked along listening to music.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    I had a mobile phone well over 20 years ago and it was crap - all it did was phone calls. I got rid after a year. I got some oth really crap Nokia type ones later (those horrible candy bar and flip type ones) but again apart from calls and texts they were useless.

However since 2009 I have had 23 different smartphones. I nearly always have 2 on me at a time, sometimes 3 (mind you at the moment I am down to 1 which isn't good). If you don't "get" smartphones then hard luck really. You are missing out on carrying all of humanities knowledge with you where ever you go. And of course you have all of the other functions that people have mentioned.

Also are people REALLY using desktops at home for anything other than gaming? Is this 2002?
    Is anybody else having trouble in working out whether this post is genuine or deep sarcasm? :D

Somebody else mentioned that their phone wasn't 'big enough' for their music. Surely there can't be any phone that won't hold enough to get you through a few hours worth?
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    I avoided having one for ages too.But the one
    I eventually got,the battery lasts around ten days
    with the phone turned on between 7.30 in the
    morning to around 8.30 in the evening.
    I am then home and can use my landline!
    Quite happy with mine although, I did get it
    primarily for phone calls, I also find emails quite
    handy on it too!
    Does NASA know about this revolutionary smart phone? Even my old C1 01 would struggle to last for more than five days without charging. My newer Nokia struggles to manage 24 hours.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anybody else having trouble in working out whether this post is genuine or deep sarcasm? :D

Somebody else mentioned that their phone wasn't 'big enough' for their music. Surely there can't be any phone that won't hold enough to get you through a few hours worth?

I think it's genuine :D

There are actually people like that. Thank goodness though as it keeps me in a job!
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That'd probably be me. I've a 16GB phone which is pretty much full with apps and photos. I've got over 100GB of music which I just store on a 160GB iPod Classic. I don't walk around listening to music much so only really use it in the car. Every time I go out I flick through to find an album that I fancy and listen to different stuff journey. I couldn't be bothered deleting and swapping music around on my phone every time I go out.
    motsy wrote: »
    You tried TROOPER?

Yes, it's OK, drinkable but I'm not too bothered about it. I've been exploring some Danish breweries recently and have had some cracking stuff from To Øl and Mikeller. I'm currently on 430 different beers and am aiming to hit 500 by new year!

Invariably if you ask someone the first two people you ask are holidaymakers or not from the area, then the third person doesn't know the place and then the fourth person gives you a big long winded 5 minute unmemorable monologue along the lines of "turn left, then right at the horse statue, then left, then left again, then right at the dead tramp, up the hill, right at the pub and then in 300 yards it's on your left behind a tree".
    I'd rather just tap it into my phone and either use the GPS to just walk towards a dot on a map or just listen to step by step instructions.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

finbaar has had loads of phones, so genuine.
  • Options
    mrgs12mrgs12 Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Wasn't there a report by OFCOM recently that said non smartphones were better for reception in rural areas because of a better antenna over a smaller smartphone antenna, certainly better reception here with a basic phone.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

I'm using a desktop at home to ready your post...I prefer the larger screen of a desktop...but do have a smartphone and a tablet as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I'm using a desktop at home to ready your post...I prefer the larger screen of a desktop...but do have a smartphone and a tablet as well.

My comment wasn't about using a phone instead of a desktop. Rather it was using a desktop instead of a laptop. Maybe you just like really big screens.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more or less the same as the OP. I have a Nokia Lumia 520 (I think) and I absolutely hate it. The touch screen never responds when I get a phone call and if I get through to one of those answerphone lines that require me to input a number, there's no way of bringing up the keyboard.

It's too heavy and bulky to carry around in my pocket and the screen's far to small to bother with web browsing – not that I hardly ever can anyway, because Vodaphone never seems to be able to connect to the internet.

Are you sure that your screen is not faulty? I've got a Nokia Lumia 520 and the touch screen is very responsive. There is also an option in the settings menu where you can change the sensitivity of the touch screen.

To bring up the keypad during a phone call, you just need to tap the keypad icon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread should have stayed in General. Of course anyone posting in here will have had a smartphone. But we are not typical. In fact we are all decidedly odd - taking such an interest in phones is odd.

As posted earlier I have had a lot of phones. It is probably some kind of syndrome. I am always looking for my next device. I have literally just picked up a OPO but I am planning to get one of the new Nexus 6 soon as well. And then there are the new Lumias to. They could be good.

But really I find it fascinating when people have no desire at all to own a smartphone.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    My comment wasn't about using a phone instead of a desktop. Rather it was using a desktop instead of a laptop. Maybe you just like really big screens.

I've got both a desktop and a laptop. But will always use the desktop for any serious use or web browsing due to the bigger screen.