Loyalty to one and Im not talking fanboyerism

LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So recently I have noticed a move to try and grab loyalty. Apple used to have a broad appeal it had its imac, ipod, ipad, iphone, iTelevision they all linked in together and worked in harmony.
Now we have Xbox, Windows phones, windows computers, smart tvs that all link into one.
With Sony announcing their gaikai system and the new wikipad using it also could it be that they will eventually link together to create another system to use to link with each other. I believe the wikipad will be similar to the wii U remote and has the ability to play PS type games.

I for one found myself buying a windows phone because it could link in with my xbox, and I currently have an ipad and would consider changing to a windows tablet but I cant afford it ! I am firmly a microsoft fan, probably because Bill Gates gives a lot of his money to great causes. :D and hes a geek and I Heart Geeks x

Comments

• KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say I've got a loyalty to Sony out of all the "groups". I'm not a big fan of Apple after owning an iPod classic and an iPhone 3gs and realising how much they don't let you do so I stay away now although my parents are loving Apple at the moment and own the iPad, iPhone 5 and Apple TV. I've owned both of Microsoft's home consoles and all of Sony's too but I've always leaned more towards Sony and am probably going to buy a Vita this year and the PS4 depending on games. So yeah I think that it's good that people can have a loyalty without being fanboys.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im loyal to no company

i simply choose to own sony consoles as imo they are better and have better games

ive never owned an xbox as i never needed one , my ps3 does everything i need and if i want to play halo i can play my pc

looks like i will get ps4 too as it looks pretty awesome....might get the next box too if it offers me something i dont have
  • heyrehairheyrehair Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is nothing particularly new for Sony - the handhelds have linked up for years and the Xperia phones can already hook up to your TV via HDMI and a Dualshock to play games bought from the store.

Cross connectivity is nice, but for me it's not a must have when making a buying choice.
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    No particular loyalty either;

Phone - Galaxy S3
    Tablet - iPad
    Consoles - 360, PS3, Wii-U
    TV & BD Surround - LG

Compatibility and link-ability are nice, as with LG's simplink, but not a deal-breaker for me.
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There really is no point in staying loyal to one company.

Nokias were the best phones for years, then Sony Ericcson's took the crown until the smartphone era erupted and Apple became the go to brand. Now Samsung have the upper hand and Apple are falling, both Sony and Nokia are left in there dust. If I'd stayed loyal to sony I'd be rocking an Xperia, and they are awful.

Likewise Internet browsers. I used Firefox for years until they released shoddy browers after shoddy browser. Now I'm with Chrome, but as soon as they drop the ball then I'm off.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think chrome are dropping the ball as we speak. It's been awful all week. :cry:
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not particually loyal.

Phone - galaxy s3
    tablet - acer icona a500
    console - ps3 , xbox360
    tv - toshiba
    blu ray - philips.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Well, I don't have a games console but I guess I used to have some loyalty to Sony products.

At one point I had a Sony hifi, a Sony TV, a Sony digicam, and then I decided that, rather than buying another laptop which could play games, I'd by a Sony sub-notebook and a PSP for mobile gaming.

Alas, when my 3 year old Sony TV stopped working and Sony told me that it'd cost £500 to replace the power supply and then, just after that, the DVD player stopped working on my hifi and Sony charged me £100 for an "inspection" and THEN told me that they didn't have spare parts for that hifi and then, soon afterwards, I found that Sony didn't bother to create new drivers for my laptop so I couldn't upgrade from W98 to XP I decided that Sony could, in future, go and f**k themselves.

Now I just use PCs for all my home entertainment stuff; I play games on a PC and I have Zotac Z-boxes bolted to the back of my tellies to make them do clever things.
    I also have an iPhone which I use for making telephone calls.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not really loyal to a company. I tend to buy the product the gives me the features I want at a price I am happy to pay.

I do often look first to the next product in a companies line if I have had a great experience with an earlier product. I bought the Wii because I really enjoyed the Gamecube before it but when the Wii wasnt really for me I quickly changed to the PS3. Because I have enjoyed my PS3 so much I am more interested in the PS4 than the Nextbox but should MS do something really special with the Nextbox I will buy that instead.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm another with no loyalty to one brand. I simply buy whatever suits my needs. Though my exsiting product e.g Playstation console naturally leads me too its successor, because at present i'm a satisfied consumer. Making it likely my first referance for the next gen console, as i know its to be an upgraded version of something i already like.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    im loyal to no company

i simply choose to own sony consoles as imo they are better and have better games

ive never owned an xbox as i never needed one , my ps3 does everything i need and if i want to play halo i can play my pc

looks like i will get ps4 too as it looks pretty awesome....might get the next box too if it offers me something i dont have

STOP..right there..and cool your jets....

;)
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No real loyalty here, either. My phone is Samsung, I have an iPad and a Mac but also Win PCs, Xboxes as well as PlayStations, PSP as well as a DS and my telly is a Philips!

The driving factor behind every console I've bought has been killer app/game related. Phones depend on what deals I can get. Computers are work driven, including the iPad.

Brands don't really show much consumer loyalty so why should they have ours?
  • fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No loyalty here, had a PS2 & was set for getting a PS3, then it wasn't out in the UK for months, gave up waiting and got a 360. I then proceeded to get fed up with Sony fanboys saying how *powerful* the PS3 will be, it finally launched with a really poor lineup of games, in the meantime I had built up a nice collection of 360 titles, so had little reason to switch.
    If MS gets a big a jump as it did last time, then history could repeat itself, if they launch a bit closer together, I'll just judge the features/games at the time.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the OP meant more along the lines of buying a Sony TV, a Sony phone and a Sony tablet to go with your Sony PS4, rather than PS1 -> PS2 -> PS3 -> PS4
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loyalty my arse. I will buy what is best to play games on, it doesn't matter who makes it what it looks like or what else it does.
  • LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm I am surprised maybe its just me
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    I have usually had both the playstation and xbox consoles up until now, however I think this time due to financial restraints I will only pick up the new xbox when it gets released.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

FWIW, I do get what you mean about sticking to one brand for compatibility reasons (rather than just cos you happen to like a particular brand) and there's a lot of merit in that way of thinking.

The main reason I bought a heap of Sony stuff was, believe it or not, largely because of their memory cards.

I bought a Sony stereo cos it could talk to my Sony telly to give me proper surround sound through the stereo and the stereo had a slot for Sony memory sticks so it could display pictures from my Sony camera on my telly and play music from my PSP.
    My Sony laptop also had a memory-stick slot so that could accept the memory sticks from my camera and PSP too.

These days, with the ability to stream movies, music and games on various devices, if you can manage to network all your stuff together properly it can yield huge benefits.

I've now got a PC in the living room and another PC in my command module and I've also got Z-box mini-PCs bolted to every TV in the house and they're all networked together, and a laptop/tablet can also access that network via wifi.

As a result of this I can record telly programmes using the Z-Box attached to my living-room telly and watch it on any TV (or laptop/PC/tablet) in the house and my main PC also acts as a "server" to store movies and music which can, again, play through any other device.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not loyal 2 any company cause there only after 1 thing!!!!! ... ya cash!!! ... Your a statistic nothing more!!! :rolleyes: (fanboys are the biggest fools on earth) :rolleyes:
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I for one found myself buying a windows phone because it could link in with my xbox, and I currently have an ipad and would consider changing to a windows tablet but I cant afford it ! I am firmly a microsoft fan, probably because Bill Gates gives a lot of his money to great causes. :D and hes a geek and I Heart Geeks x

Maybe a good time to start saving as it's widely rumoured MS will be releasing an Xbox surface gaming tablet. :)
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member

It's not just you and there's nothing wrong with it.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not brand loyal

My phone is a Samsung, my TV is a Samsung (a coincidence :p), I own 2 xbox 360's, have a PC, a cheapo made in china tablet of some unknown brand and have owned a PS1 and PS2 in the past.

I must admit the PS4 has impressed me but I'll wait to see what the new xbox has to offer because it will be one or the other for me.
  • RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Companies obviously love you being loyal as its easy money for them.

But if you do just stay loyal to one brand, you usually lose out.

I've currently got a PS3 and love it but if I like the look of the next Xbox or any other new console, I would switch no problem. Same with everything else I buy.

Just this month switched my broadband over to a new company and will save money as they gave me a new customer offer.

I would say to everyone don't just stick with brands as you feel its your team or tribe as thats stupid, look at what they are offering you is it the best deal? if not go elsewhere.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No real brand loyalty here either, TV is a Samsung, stereo is Phillips, DVD player is a Sony, VHS player is a Phillips, phone is a Sony, only have a Wii and a Nintendo DS, desktop PC is an OverClockers build and laptop is a Dell. All bought for specific reasons at the time including best price and features available.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    not really brand loyal to any gadget/electronics though for trainers i only buy adidas :D

used to get sony ericsson phones but have an iPhone now, had ps1 and ps2 but bought an xbox360, have a ps3 and wii as well but rarely play them.