Options

Just listen to my rant please

KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
Forum Member
Just need to vent about my Cavaliers. Both have been really poorly. Zachary has to have monthly meds for his arthritis (he started at 4) and that's not the problem, it's all the continuous medical stuff. He scratched his eye and had to have surgery last month and before that it was a damaged paw. He cost me almost 3000 in surgery in 2012 (I'd cancelled the insurance the month before because I was endlessly paying out for small claims). d'oh!

And it's just endless. There's not been ONE week in the last YEAR I've not been to the vets for something. They're both insured but it's just endless bills and claims and trips to the vets.

Harley has been having cystitis and many many tests and he's got some kind of kidney disease which has been quite successfully treated. But NOW he can't walk for some reason and it's probably all linked but he's AGAIN in bed and hasn't been for a pee in almost 40 hours now and I just need to rant because I'm exhausted with it all. All the nights up and the continuous meds (he's on meds three times a day now).

This has been going on for about 18 months now and I'm just really tired and broke. I'm not normally anything but perky but I'm just upset that my bunny can't even pee at the moment and it'll be more tests on Monday.

Any advice. Today, for the first ever time I'm actually considering getting rid of Harley as he's so broken. It's a sad state when he won't help himself by going for a pee in the garden (even if I carry him out). I never EVER would but the thoughts are there in my mind and I feel horrible even for considering it!

It's just a massive test of my endurance and I think after another sleepless night - I wanted to talk about it with people who understand.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's about their enjoyment of life, if quality of life isn't there (not peeing can't be good) then I would be having a talk to the vet about how soon the animal will be fit, if the answer is never or causes me to believe the animal will be suffering long term then I consider whether I am keeping them alive for me or them.

Cost for me does come into the question too, some people will bankrupt themselves for their animals but having been there before I can guarantee it doesn't make their lives better as you start scrimping on other things and all the enjoyment goes out of life.

Only you can know what would be best for your pet, but you won't get any argument from me if you make the best decision you can for them.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis I sympathise. I have been where you are.
    Have you thought about joining the Yahoo kidney group? Vets don't get it right all the time and have even been known to suggest unnecessary tests! Plus people may be able to suggest diet etc that treats the whole dog not just one symptom.Just saying that holistic measures may reduce the need for so many medical interventions.
    The other thing to consider is a second opinion from a different vet - even one in the same practice. I don't think Poppy would be here now were it not for a vet we saw for the first time who found something all his colleagues had missed. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    For me it's about their enjoyment of life, if quality of life isn't there (not peeing can't be good) then I would be having a talk to the vet about how soon the animal will be fit, if the answer is never or causes me to believe the animal will be suffering long term then I consider whether I am keeping them alive for me or them.

Thanks, MP. Sorry to be moaning at all, but this has been going on for a year and the little chap must be in so much discomfort as he hasn't peed for almost 2 days now :(
    Karis I sympathise. I have been where you are.
    Have you thought about joining the Yahoo kidney group? Vets don't get it right all the time and have even been known to suggest unnecessary tests! Plus people may be able to suggest diet etc that treats the whole dog not just one symptom.

I'll check this out right now! Thanks!

I appreciate all your replies. Sorry for being so whiny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People speak highly of the kidney group - I am on the liver one and while I wouldn't suggest going off on a tangent without discussing it with your vet you really do get some good tips and at the least - suggestions to raise with the vet.
    Btw have always found the dogaware site useful
    http://dogaware.com/health/kidney.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's going back to the vets tomorrow, but right now, he has had a bit to eat (which is a good sign) but he can't walk and is just giving me those huge imploring eyes.

If I take him outside he just sits down and shivers. He can't even pee, which is close to 48 hours now!

It's just upsetting. He's OK right now, sleeping on his back (which I had to put him into but he seems to feel so much better in that position).

I don't see what can be done today. I could call out the emergency vet but he's OK, if you know what I mean. He's just OK. He's not showing any signs of dehydration and he's eaten, so maybe I'll give it a day and see what happens.

Thanks for ALL your support. I love you guys! x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it worth getting him to a place - ie a park - where lots of other dogs go? (my old vets used to be a good place for this because so many pets had a pee outside before or after their appointment).
    If that doesn't work I would phone the emergency vet as 48 hours plus the whole of today is a long time. It sounds as if he is uncomfortable and possibly in pain as well. Good luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know how long a dog can go without urinating but 48 hours seems a lot. I would phone the emergency vet as he sounds to be uncomfortable and possibly in pain and tomorrow is a long way away.. In the meantime I've read suggestions to even hold their leg up for them in the urinating position. Plus is it worth getting him to a place - ie a park - where lots of other dogs go? (my old vets used to be a good place for this because so many pets had a pee outside before or after their appointment).

His bladder isn't too full, so I'm not hugely worried about that! He's off at 8:00am tomorrow. He went for a LONG walk on Friday and hasn't drunk much since then (I've been syringing him water today) and fortunately, he's far from being dehydrated either.

I've spoken to the vet and he is fantastic - he thinks waiting until tomorrow and they're going to keep him in for a day or two.

So we'll see. It's just awful to see him so lethargic :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I would definitely try propping him up and holding his leg up. It may just be that he feels too weak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was admitted last night as he went downhill pretty quickly. I'll know more today.

On the plus side: I found out I have a fantastic insurance policy so there's nothing to worry about in that regard.

Feeling better today after all your messages so thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck Karis with whatever you decide, hope all works out well for you.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What insurance have you found that will cover a pre existing condition? I didn't think any would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The tests are back and he has spondylosis on his spine in a few places which is causing all the pain.

So it's treatable with meds. So he's on a bucket load of drugs but he's OK.

And best of all, my insurance will cover all of it, so I don't have to worry - a big weight off my mind.
    riversmum wrote: »
    What insurance have you found that will cover a pre existing condition? I didn't think any would.

It's not a pre-existing condition. He's been insured since this started - thank DOG as it's already around £2000.

Everyone: Thanks for listening to my rant. It helped :) xxx
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    The tests are back and he has spondylosis on his spine in a few places which is causing all the pain.

And best of all, my insurance will cover all of it, so I don't have to worry - a big weight off my mind.

It's not a pre-existing condition. He's been insured since this started - thank DOG as it's already around £2000.

Oh I see, I'd assumed because you cancelled one insurance that you'd cancelled both! Hope he's ok
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »

That sounds more positive Karis hope the meds work and you have a bit of joy with him and less vet visits !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    riversmum wrote: »
    Oh I see, I'd assumed because you cancelled one insurance that you'd cancelled both! Hope he's ok

I cancelled both policies 'cos I was endlessly forking out for minor things. And then when Zach was super sick last year (costing me at least 2500 - I stopped counting exactly after that) I took out a new policy. It doesn't cover Zach's regular treatments for his pre-existing arthritis, but it covers all new things and Harley's.

The lesson here is: GET A GOOD INSURANCE policy.