Options

Think my cat has cancer

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
(I'll try to keep this short), In December my cat called Bella (she actually has a beauty spot!) was looking down and kept sneezing, fiddling with her mouth a bit, we thought at first it was like a cat cold or something so left it. In the first week of January we took her to the vet as it had been over two weeks of her doing the same sort of motions. They told us she had an abscess in her mouth-which apparently had been getting bigger over some time and we were right to bring her when we did because apparently all the mucus that was being produced could travel to her brain and kill her! After that, we were so mad at ourselves for not taking her sooner, however it was only two weeks previous she'd started showing symptoms. How long the actual abscess was there I do not know. They operated on her to reduce it etc and she really did pick up (I should probably add she's 14 years old so that was a worry too).

Anyway, about three weeks after we noticed that although she looked better in spirits and was eating properly again, she still kept doing this gnawing notion with her paw on the right side of her mouth. We took her back again. They told us that they suspect it would be a tumor and until the antibiotics she was taking fully worked, they couldn't say for sure.

Anyway, after another kerffuffle of her point blank refusing to take the antibiotics, we took her back again for an injection which apparently lasts for three weeks and she's due back next week.

However what is worrying is she's lost a lot of weight. She used to be a very big cat funnily enough but over the past 5 years naturally lost weight anyway. However this past 3-4 months she's very thin, especially in her sides and it's quite upsetting to see because at the moment, we're thinking the worst, especially as the vet said about the tumor. Another worry is she's eating a lot too, and clearly not putting nothing on. It's like she's got better and got worse.

In herself she seems happy, content, still washes and goes in the garden for a little while etc, but it's stressing me out because I just so wish this wasn't happening to her. Of all our cats she is the loveliest, never seen her hiss or spit in her life! It just seems unfair.

Another thing I can't understand is (though I don't doubt them sadly) is, when she first went for the checkup regarding the abscess, why didn't they notice or think of a tumor before? :confused:

Comments

• Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear that about your cat. :(
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Keeping our fingers crossed that the results are favourable - but all you can really do is wait.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Best wishes, hopefully she'll be fine.:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little update:

She seems to be doing okay. She still has a form of an infection, had some more antibiotics and unfortunately last week she scratched her eye and caused herself a bit of pain there, but it's okay because we took her to the vet in time for yet another infection to begin.

As we speak, we don't know if she has any tumor or whatever because it's still hard to see. The vet said she's quite happy with her progress and hasn't lost any more weight thankfully. Bella (my cat) seems happy and we'll just keep making her happy until whatever fate decides. It's kind of limbo atm, but not a bad limbo. She's such a strong cat, so stubborn too! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed she's okay. :kitty:

It's a good sign when they're still eating, grooming themselves and going out obviously meaning they're feeling okay. :)
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member
    Lets hope for some warmer weather, she can then have a potter and sunbathe out in the fresh air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's doing really well. Not exactly hugely better but not declining or any cause for concern. Age is a big factor too, I wish she were 5 years younger atm!

Still, thank God for small mercies that's what I say
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor pussycat, I hope its not cancer. I'm glad she's still doing ok.

Have they ruled out diabetes or hyperthyroid? Both are common causes of weight loss in older cats.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she's eating well but losing weight, that would tend to suggest a thyroid problem rather than cancer, which would be more likely to cause anorexia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys I just popped in to say that we had Bella my cat put to sleep today. I have to say I feel really upset and it's hit me more than I actually thought it would.

It's been a really rocky road with her since her health took a decline, literally a matter of three months and it seems longer in some aspects but quite a lot has happened in the short period of time.

It hurts me so much because she genuinely was a beautiful cat (I know everyone says that about their pets) but she never got in fights, hissed or spat and never caused any bother at all really, so loving and affectionate for a cat. I have 4 cats left now (one is actually her twin sister but they look and are nothing alike really). My mum actually went in and was with her when they put her to sleep but I went in after, she looked very peaceful but it still hurts me because part of me feels guilty for having to end it like this even though I know that it was definitely the right thing.

Despite her weight being a huge problem (she used to be quite biggish but was pretty much able to see her bones in the end) she had such good spirits. In fact one hour before we took her to the vet today, she even went in the garden to do a wee, bless her. Her breathing was very shallow today and she was weak from lack of food. Apparently she couldn't really open her mouth any more with what the tumor (apparently it was still hard to tell) had done. Her last proper food was Saturday, since then she was drinking a lot of water which isn't a good sign for a cat to gulp loads and not eat.

I feel really sad and I know I'll be okay but it really does hurt, especially when I came home and it feels all horrible knowing you're never going to see them again. I keep crying lol I need to get my act together but it's been a hard day.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Guys I just popped in to say that we had Bella my cat put to sleep today. I have to say I feel really upset and it's hit me more than I actually thought it would.

It's been a really rocky road with her since her health took a decline, literally a matter of three months and it seems longer in some aspects but quite a lot has happened in the short period of time.

It hurts me so much because she genuinely was a beautiful cat (I know everyone says that about their pets) but she never got in fights, hissed or spat and never caused any bother at all really, so loving and affectionate for a cat. I have 4 cats left now (one is actually her twin sister but they look and are nothing alike really). My mum actually went in and was with her when they put her to sleep but I went in after, she looked very peaceful but it still hurts me because part of me feels guilty for having to end it like this even though I know that it was definitely the right thing.

Despite her weight being a huge problem (she used to be quite biggish but was pretty much able to see her bones in the end) she had such good spirits. In fact one hour before we took her to the vet today, she even went in the garden to do a wee, bless her. Her breathing was very shallow today and she was weak from lack of food. Apparently she couldn't really open her mouth any more with what the tumor (apparently it was still hard to tell) had done. Her last proper food was Saturday, since then she was drinking a lot of water which isn't a good sign for a cat to gulp loads and not eat.

I feel really sad and I know I'll be okay but it really does hurt, especially when I came home and it feels all horrible knowing you're never going to see them again. I keep crying lol I need to get my act together but it's been a hard day.

Best wishes x

Sometimes the right thing is the hardest to do. Remember the wonderful times you had together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoughts are with you, Derek. It is so so hard to lose a much loved pet x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Like I said, this past 3 weeks in particular (and more so this weekend) it was actually upsetting me to see how rapidly she declined. It had to be cancer because she was just losing so much weight and the tumor was getting bigger the vet said today. It just really pained me to see her like that, though her spirits were always high, I think you try to fool yourself a bit.

She was just so lovely, I don't think I ever had to tell her off out of all the cats I have! I have like this hollow emotional feeling inside me that isn't very pleasant, I think it's because I still feel a teeny bit guilty at putting her down despite knowing it really was 100% the best thing. I just miss seeing her already.

I thought I'd post this pic of her, it's only from last year when she was well, best to remember her like this:

http://i1378.photobucket.com/albums/ah99/cfoxx14/IMG_9201_zpsegtoyb4g.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member

Like I said, this past 3 weeks in particular (and more so this weekend) it was actually upsetting me to see how rapidly she declined. It had to be cancer because she was just losing so much weight and the tumor was getting bigger the vet said today. It just really pained me to see her like that, though her spirits were always high, I think you try to fool yourself a bit.

She was just so lovely, I don't think I ever had to tell her off out of all the cats I have! I have like this hollow emotional feeling inside me that isn't very pleasant, I think it's because I still feel a teeny bit guilty at putting her down despite knowing it really was 100% the best thing. I just miss seeing her already.

I thought I'd post this pic of her, it's only from last year when she was well, best to remember her like this:

She looks a lovely cat

RIP Bella

I lost my little cat a few months ago and still miss her every day. The hollow, empty feeling does get better
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was beautiful Derek, I'm so sorry you had to have her put to sleep, I know how you must be feeling, *HUGS* I've had to have 2 of my cats PTS in the past.

You never really get over the loss, but you did the right thing, it wouldn't be fair to let her suffer any more & she knew she was loved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies

It feels really strange today, like one minute I'm okay and then I feel quite overwhelmed. Beginning to miss her presence.

I seriously think I have cried more over animals in my life than humans.. no lie either!
  • Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    So sorry to hear about Bella :(:(:(

We lost our beloved cat Tom from exactly the same a few years ago :cry:.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lovely photo, a beautiful cat. It's never an easy decision to make but I don't think you should feel at all guilty. You made the kindest and most important decision on her behalf.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The weirdest part is that all the way through, we were never 100% sure what was actually wrong with her. In the end it seemed inevitable it must've been a tumor because on Monday, when we took her to the vet (we were taking her to be put to sleep but of course if for whatever reason she could come home and they could do something, we would've bought her back) before we came to that decision, the vet took a look in her mouth and she could barely open her mouth... so not only did that make us feel really bad, we knew there was no coming back from it really, because of her age and how weak she was at that point.

Only 2 weeks ago we bought her back from the vet and was really contented because she apparently hadn't lost any more weight and she had an antibiotic jab, however every time she was having these jabs (I think she only had 2 actually), when they wore off, her body wasn't able to continue alone, so she was getting by medically basically.

I have cried every day this week for her! I was doing fine yesterday until I heard a song that seemed to play quite a bit around 2012 when my dog died, so that just sent me blubbering! It's ridiculous but a cry is never a bad thing.

What is kind of frustrating me is I seem to keep thinking of her difficult final days, rather than the other 15 years where she was chubby and used to sit on top of the recycle bin refusing to get off :D (I have pictures to prove it!). I know in time the sad part will pass.

When we went to get her nearly 15 years ago, we also had her twin sister too (that wasn't the intention but we didn't want to leave them both), however as it turned out they weren't that close at all :D So we still have Tippy her sister, but nothing seems to feel the void at present.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to mention this:
    We noticed about 3-4 days before she died, she was sitting on one of our dining room chairs, the backs of them are quite tall and high, on numerous occasions when she was on the seat we'd notice her looking up to the top of it, almost in a kind of relaxed but "looking to the light" kinda way, I even started calling her name to snap her out of it. I'm wondering now if she could see or feel something we couldn't? Is that a bit silly to say? I don't know, but it was quite strange, animals do get by on intuition after all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, its not silly at all.

Cats are incredibly sensitive and know before anyone else that something is wrong, they are also very good at hiding problems.

There was little sign that there was anything wrong with my little Boo before we lost her, one night she simply went to her favourite place and lay down. An hour earlier she had been sitting on my knee eating treats. She went to the angels without waking up.

Still miss her every day ❤❤❤
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    No, its not silly at all.

Cats are incredibly sensitive and know before anyone else that something is wrong, they are also very good at hiding problems.

There was little sign that there was anything wrong with my little Boo before we lost her, one night she simply went to her favourite place and lay down. An hour earlier she had been sitting on my knee eating treats. She went to the angels without waking up.

Still miss her every day ❤❤❤

Aw :(

Yes, I think it's right that they can hide what is wrong because in character she acted exactly the same, it's only because we could see the physical health issues we went to the vets etc, but otherwise she was still the same cat.

It's so crap afterwards :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek, everything you say makes sense.

I wasn't certain what was the matter with Amber and right up until the time I took her to the vet for an exploratory op, and then got a call to say it was an inoperable tumour (which was not surprising she'd lost so much weight) and had they got my permission to put her to sleep, I still thought there was a chance.

clm2071 is absolutely correct, cats are incredibly sensitive. A couple of days before I took Amber to the vet for that last time, my girlfriend had visited, and not long before she left that night, Amber jumped on her knee and just stared at her for what seemed like ages. She'd never done that before.

When I told Vicky that she'd been put to sleep, she said that Amber already knew she was departing this world, and that staring at her was her way of saying goodbye to Vicky - who had known her all the years I'd had her.

I think that might have been true.

I did a lot of blubbing alone and in private over Amber, who I felt very close to. Even now I cry sometimes. Although I've got another cat who is just as lovable in her own way.

What gets me sometimes is such a small thing - it is that I'll never see her little face with her nose pressed against the glass in the front door waiting to come in. Still breaks my heart even now.

Oh well. Anyway, no shame in crying. You have to let the grief out.

Sorry for rambling on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww BlueBlade, that's sad and lovely at the same time :(

Regarding Tippy, the twin sister of Bella who died, I have noticed that since around Wednesday onward, she seems a bit down...but because they were never close (at all) it's kinda hard to tell. I don't know if she actually does seem down or if it's just me, but she does have a look in her eyes for sure, whether that is about Bella or not I do not know.

Remember we actually took Bella to the vets to be put to sleep, she didn't die at home, so I'm not sure how they (or Tippy rather) would be able to pick up if Bella had actually died or not?

Even writing this I still feel awful for putting her to sleep, even though it was 100% the right thing, it's still slightly tinged with guilt- though surprisingly as the week went on I felt rather okay, which made me feel guilty even more! I'm a sap :(