Any other fans of Glam Rock around here?

13»

Comments

• PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also the term 'glitter rock' which was used to describe the pop end of glam.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has become a very educational thread when it comes to the glam/not glam debate. I'm enjoying reading the posts. :)

Good, you started it.

There's a bit of misplaced musical snobbery around like somehow glam is a lesser music genre.

The glam/not glam thing reflects that a bit.

When Bolan was putting glitter on his face he wasn't necessarily trying to invent a genre, that came later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    There's also the term 'glitter rock' which was used to describe the pop end of glam.

I think that's what people may be confusing with glam rock.
    Glitter rock is part of glam rock, may be the slightly frivolous part, as you say?

We are tortured with genres and sub genres.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Thank you! I must have been very grown up pre-teen then :D :cool:

:D

I think in my case I was at university and all my mates were into Floyd, Soft Machine and all that crap..............I wanted to be different !

• ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

I think in my case I was at university and all my mates were into Floyd, Soft Machine and all that crap..............I wanted to be different !

My mates were into The Osmonds & David Cassidy :eek: :o

I was very different :cool:

Wasn't even particularly interested in 'pop' music. My Mum used to watch TOTP & I'd watch with her cos it was on. Until one glorious evening when this came on. That was it. I was in love. Completely hooked & have been ever since

Roxy Music - Virginia Plain TOTP 1972

Even Bowie was a fan :cool:
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fast Fuse wrote: »
    Slade were a skinhead band.

Manager Chas Chandler convinced them to jump on the Glam bandwagon.

....and were a mod act before that

nice to see sweet being refered to as sweet and not 'the' sweet as is becoming commonplace nowdays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

nice to see sweet being refered to as sweet and not 'the' sweet as is becoming commonplace nowdays.

Bit off topic, but isn't that infuriating? One of my favourite bands is Delays, and you can always tell the uninitiated so-called music 'jounalists' who refer to them as 'The Delays'. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I've seen archive editions of Top of the Pops where the likes of Tony Blackburn have referred to 'The Mud' and 'The Slade', so what's that all about? :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit off topic, but isn't that infuriating? One of my favourite bands is Delays, and you can always tell the uninitiated so-called music 'jounalists' who refer to them as 'The Delays'. :rolleyes:

Mind you, I've seen archive editions of Top of the Pops where the likes of Tony Blackburn have referred to 'The Mud' and 'The Slade', so what's that all about? :D

really?... i havnt! but lets face it, tony blackburn was a 'square', sure he got a dj ing job, but was hardly in the same league as peely...

groups in the 60's often used the suffix the, in fact off hand i can only think of cream that didnt use 'the' before 69... and often groups in the glam era who used 'the' were 60's left overs, the move, the bee gees for eg.

it wasnt until the sex pistols and punk did groups adopt the 'the' again. of course there were a few exceptions in the glam era 70's. the rubettes for eg.. but by and large 70-77 groups were usually just one word names with no suffix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    groups in the 60's often used the suffix the, in fact off hand i can only think of cream that didnt use 'the' before 69... and often groups in the glam era who used 'the' were 60's left overs, the move, the bee gees for eg.

There are a few 60s groups with just one name; Them, Love, Traffic, Steppenwolf. And a few more with no 'the'; Canned Heat, Procul Harum, Manfred Mann, Jefferson Airplane.....
    it wasnt until the sex pistols and punk did groups adopt the 'the' again. of course there were a few exceptions in the glam era 70's. the rubettes for eg.. but by and large 70-77 groups were usually just one word names with no suffix.

I have occasionally lapsed on (The) Sweet and I have actually seen them, sorry. Arrows is another one like that. The only other exception is The Tubes if they count as glam, I would count them.

But the rule generally holds for Glam and Prog groups.
    Forum Member
    really?... i havnt! but lets face it, tony blackburn was a 'square', sure he got a dj ing job, but was hardly in the same league as peely...

You have now! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFUMkkGGzc0
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, much prefer it to punk. My favourites are Wizzard, T Rex, David Bowie, Slade, The Sweet and Mott the Hoople. Not really glam, but I also like singers like Lynsey de Paul and Gilbert O Sullivan from this era.
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Not really glam, but I also like singers like Lynsey de Paul and Gilbert O Sullivan from this era.

Both are superb songwriters. In particular, Gilbert O'Sullivan seems to have a very negative 'nerdy' image, maybe that's the way he dresses, but I've heard a few of his albums now and the lyrics are quite sharp and well observed... kind of cynical coated in a chirpy melody. I like that. He's lulling them all into a false sense of security.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    There are a few 60s groups with just one name; Them, Love, Traffic, Steppenwolf. And a few more with no 'the'; Canned Heat, Procul Harum, Manfred Mann, Jefferson Airplane.....

I have occasionally lapsed on (The) Sweet and I have actually seen them, sorry. Arrows is another one like that. The only other exception is The Tubes if they count as glam, I would count them.

But the rule generally holds for Glam and Prog groups.

yeah i know there are exceptions to the 60's 'the' rule, but generally most acts did use it. no i wouldnt count the tubes as glam either.

aaarrrgggh.... thank you (not!) lol
  • ScratchplateScratchplate Posts: 798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An interesting little site here - http://www.doremi.co.uk/glam/index.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thats a good site, im pretty much in agreement with what he says, especially getting laughed at for having sweet records. i was sneared at for 'following the charts', (even though i wasnt very fond of most of it), but i thought f you, i cant be doing with prog.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    thats a good site, im pretty much in agreement with what he says, especially getting laughed at for having sweet records. i was sneared at for 'following the charts', (even though i wasnt very fond of most of it), but i thought f you, i cant be doing with prog.

I do remember the Roxy, Bowie, T-Rex & Cockney Rebel fans did used to look down on the Sweet/Slade etc fans.

Sorry about that :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is a good fun site. I especially agree with the sentiments about David Essex..started so well and should have stopped at 5.

I know some disagree but good to see Roxy and Harley in there.

And that rule about 'The' in names...the one exception, The Glitter Band.

Forgot about Alice Cooper, too.