Options

dancin on ice

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree best performers and that Sean did so well (he looked soooo nervous at the start of the programme.

Hope Andi gets another chance.
  • Options
    digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Ice fans!
    Is there any reason that this forum is pink?
    Thought that I would see what DS users had to say on tonights performances...
    I have a quick question... I generally despise TV tallent shows and competitions but since I am passionate about Ice Skating so I am watching this to the end. Can anyone tell me please whether the format of the programme the judges the scoring and the presentation etc is based on other shows such as strictly come dancing, X factor, soapstar superstar, or any of the other talent based programmes? I have never seen any of them and I am curious to know how unique the presentation of this series actually is.
    Thanks!

PS Emailed the mods to see if Dancing on Ice can get its own forum section anyone in agreement try and do the same :)
  • Options
    CP30CP30 Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    Can anyone tell me please whether the format of the programme the judges the scoring and the presentation etc is based on other shows such as strictly come dancing, X factor, soapstar superstar, or any of the other talent based programmes?
    So far the format has been similar to SCD, but we are promised a "skate-off", presumably between the two skaters who get the lowest score. Nothing like that happened in SCD.

Have to say digimon, I'm surprised as a skating fan that you didn't watch SCD. All my skating friends were absolutely hooked on it. The two disciplines do after all share a lot of factors, eg two people working together, fitness, performance, interpretation, and perhaps most important the sheer joy of dance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, not really into talent type TV :(
    Skating yes, but competition by phone in No.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    Nah, not really into talent type TV :(
    Skating yes, but competition by phone in No.
    But don't you think that it's good to see some skating back on terrestrial TV? I realise they are jumping on the SCD bandwagon, as it were, but it was great to be able to look forward to some skating on a Saturday night. And great to see T & D back on the ice after all these years.

You never know it might spark a bit more interest in the wonderful sport of ice skating. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did my eyes deceive me, or did PS already have the results in his hands before the phone lines had closed???

Isn't the show live supposedly?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,668
    Forum Member
    Hooray! Bonnie & John are both through :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did my eyes deceive me, or did PS already have the results in his hands before the phone lines had closed???

I wasn't watching.. I was only listening.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes not sure what to make of that - the votes had obviously been counted long before the lines supposedly closed.

Digimon - another difference from SCD- a screaming crowd! Probably as there are more "real" punters there and a younger audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He didnt.
    He has cue cards in his hands and the results are on a monitor he is reading out of camera range
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The. idea of a dance-off - down to the judges - seems a fairer idea than SCD.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I don't think so. I think it's fairer to have the millions of public decide rather than 4 opinionated people. Also would be far less exciting as it would probably be pretty obvious who the judges would save.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you think that the public - for all good reason - are biased towards 'favourites' rather than skills shown.

I, for one, wouldn't dream of judging on the ice skating as I don't think I know enough about the technical side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seemed to be dragging it out a bit for me. Suppose they had to try and do something a bit different, but IMO it was unnecessary. And tonight the result was obvious. Also if they keep that format down to the final then the audience may lose interest if they don't feel they've got enough input.
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The dance-off is a great idea and at least gives a better chance of the good skaters staying in. The public have enough power to save people, especially in these early stages, so I think it's only fair that the judges have the final say on the bottom 2, because the best couple will almost always be saved (and let's face, when down to the public, that doesn't tend to happen :rolleyes: )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Well, with the bottom two tonight, the judges definately chose the technically better skater already. It'll probably become more relevant as the weeks go on, like it did in SCD.

Plus don't forget, part of ice skating has always been favoritism, I know I suffered under it for years in my skating days (i.e. I'd get marks deducted just because I was from the 'wrong' club and town!) ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't you think that the public - for all good reason - are biased towards 'favourites' rather than skills shown.

I, for one, wouldn't dream of judging on the ice skating as I don't think I know enough about the technical side.

But then we go back to that whole argument about it not being just about the technical skills but about the emotion and the actual performance - and also depends whether we agree with the judges' opinion. Even tonight there was a large difference in scores.
    The larger public may then offer a fairer result as there is a complete mix of opinions and things that make them tick :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they get less than a minute for their routine? I counted one couple at 45 seconds!
    Will the amount of time they skate get more as the show goes on and fewer contestants?
    It must do! The length of the programme is the same ?
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first show did a good enough job to keep me watching and FANTASTIC to see Torvill and Dean again. :D:D

Sean was a big surprise and John was great. Will carry on watching but the big drawback is the adbreaks, I HATE the ad breaks. And I miss Len's one liners. But maybe if they can relax more into the format and we get to know the people better it'll improve. :cool:

The ITV are such robbers, they nicked a celeb (Seaman) the format, and also 2 of the songs 'You're beautiful' and 'A little less conversation'!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The contestants chose their songs its nothing to do with ITV
    ITV will pay royalties if they are played for a certain length of time
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobblekat wrote:
    Plus don't forget, part of ice skating has always been favoritism, I know I suffered under it for years in my skating days (i.e. I'd get marks deducted just because I was from the 'wrong' club and town!) ...
    Well Tamara did herself no favours with that awful merangue dress. Bad taste = no votes :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote:
    Well Tamara did herself no favours with that awful merangue dress. Bad taste = no votes :D

How very true... my first thought was indeed 'WTF! Who thought of THAT costume!'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    I watched it - but was petrified someone was going to injure themselves!
    Did drag on too long though, perhaps could have had less couples!
    Enjoyed John ,Sean and Bonni also Stefan and Gaynor's (the 2nd time)

The girls costumes were a disappoint - but Tamara's was hilarious! shame she isn't in for next week to see what they would put her next week for pure comic entertainment (and to see Sergei !)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did Gaynor change for her second performance? I am sure she wasnt in red the first time?
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasn't a show you could relax into as like SCD because like takseem I was petrified that we were going to see an almighty purler.

I KNOW about the songs. It was a joke. :D:D:D

It was an injustice Gaynor had to dance again. Who voted for Andi Peters??!! :confused: