Options

Has hell frozen over ??

Comments

• Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this just not a review that fits in with the general consensus?

Regardless of which criteria you use, most seem to agree that the iPhone is no longer the leader of the pack, with product or innovation.

Bit early and far too presumptuous to say the king is dead, but he had a bit of a mini stroke.

There has always been a choice. I never got the 3GS at the time due to it having a poor camera.

Iphone 5 is selling millions so to anybody who says it lacks innovation that's fine as many people are still buying Iphone.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Iphone 5 is selling millions so to anybody who says it lacks innovation that's fine as many people are still buying Iphone.

That is a stupid argument. Apple have a very loyal fanbase, that will buy any apple products no matter what. Apple could cover a brick in a shiny kitchen foil, put an apple logo on it and will sell. It says more about these loyal people than apple products.

Its funny with the iphone 5, more and more apple fans are turning away. Still not enough to make a huge difference to apple, however enough. If they iphone 6 lacks similar innovation, I can see more leaving and choosing an alternative be it android or windows.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has always been a choice. I never got the 3GS at the time due to it having a poor camera.

As ACU says, the iPhone 6 really could be the tipping point. More of the same duff innovation and people will leave them in their droves. Their fans may be more loyal than others, but the vast majority are not stupid.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As ACU says, the iPhone 6 really could be the tipping point. More of the same duff innovation and people will leave them in their droves. Their fans may be more loyal than others, but the vast majority are not stupid.

Has their really been any innovation on hardware this year by any company?

For the most part it's similar shapes with a bump in CPU/GPU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Has their really been any innovation on hardware this year by any company?

For the most part it's similar shapes with a bump in CPU/GPU.

The difference is that apple were seen as innovators, they were the one pushing the boundaries and coming out with cool features. This is no longer the case. When the release a phone now, the features are on other phones. The headline features are things like siri and facetime. Which frankly are a bit meh. Its the public perception of apple dont innovate anymore, which is probably going to be the issue for them and what could push people away.

To be fair, I am not sure what else can happen with phones, part from CPU/GPU and better screens. I think someone who can pull of some proper 3D screen, without the need for glasses would be quite interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    To be fair, I am not sure what else can happen with phones, part from CPU/GPU and better screens. I think someone who can pull of some proper 3D screen, without the need for glasses would be quite interesting.

There already are phones with 3D screens with no need for glasses, the issue is your hand distorts the image and the is no way round that so it's only real use is watching movies.

I think there are plenty of innovation left such as proper wireless charging with a decent range so I can charge my phone by putting it on the desk with the wireless receiver on the floor, the current methods really isn't much better than plugging it it.

Also I think interesting things can be done making phones flexible or transparent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There already are phones with 3D screens with no need for glasses, the issue is your hand distorts the image and the is no way round that so it's only real use is watching movies.

I think there are plenty of innovation left such as proper wireless charging with a decent range so I can charge my phone by putting it on the desk with the wireless receiver on the floor, the current methods really isn't much better than plugging it it.

Also I think interesting things can be done making phones flexible or transparent.

I just cant get excited about wireless charging, it just doesnt seem 'sexy' enough for me, if you know what I mean. Yes it would be be handy, yes it would be useful, but not the kind of feature that makes you say wow...thats cool.

Due to my lack of imagination, I am not sure what use flexible or transparent screens will provide. For me it seems more of a gimmick, than have any practical use for your average Joe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just cant get excited about wireless charging, it just doesnt seem 'sexy' enough for me, if you know what I mean. Yes it would be be handy, yes it would be useful, but not the kind of feature that makes you say wow...thats cool.

Due to my lack of imagination, I am not sure what use flexible or transparent screens will provide. For me it seems more of a gimmick, than have any practical use for your average Joe.

I remember Nokia has a concept of a phone that wraps around your wrist for use as a watch but can be detached to use as a phone.

As phones are getting bigger it could be useful when walking about texting if it could be slightly opaque too, I'm just throwing our some ideas :D.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    To be honest I think that Apple have let the quality slip recently. It was one of the main items they could always quote but antenna-gate, scratches on the iPhone5, maps, and a whole raft of other issues - all point to a company that is either resting on its laurels or has lost the plot.

Previous iphones may have had a 'premium' feel but this latest thing feels no better (and probably no worse) than a top end HTC, Sony or Samsung IMHO.

Antenna-gate - blown out of all proportion.

Scratches on the iPhone 5 - blown out of all proportion.

Maps - a disaster.

A whole raft of other issues - such as?

I think to a large degree people have wholly unrealistic expectations of Apple, expecting them to pull a new product like the iPhone or iPad out of their arses every time Cook takes to the stage.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't really get the bid deal of wireless charging.

Doesn't the pad still need to be plugged in, so all you're doing is putting your phone on a pad, rather than putting it in a dock?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    I don't really get the bid deal of wireless charging.

Doesn't the pad still need to be plugged in, so all you're doing is putting your phone on a pad, rather than putting it in a dock?

Current generation yes but the range will increase which means it will charge while in your pocket.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Antenna-gate - blown out of all proportion.

Scratches on the iPhone 5 - blown out of all proportion.

Maps - a disaster.

A whole raft of other issues - such as?

I think to a large degree people have wholly unrealistic expectations of Apple, expecting them to pull a new product like the iPhone or iPad out of their arses every time Cook takes to the stage.

maybe blown out of proportion for any other company but for Apple, who always quote high quality, they just looked like shoddy implementations and indicated a slip from premium to standard IMHO.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Current generation yes but the range will increase which means it will charge while in your pocket.

Only when they work out how to send power without wires though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Only when they work out how to send power without wires though.

This can already be done using Near Field Magnetic Resonance, I'm sure we will see the first product in a couple of years.

http://www.witricity.com/pages/technology.html

This is already how RFID works such as the Oyster Card, ofcoarse that only requires a very small current.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be very efficient, unless it involves a steam engine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It has to be very efficient, unless it involves a steam engine.

You just need more transmitters/repeaters such as what is planned for smart roads.

Evidently range will be limited to begin with but this area is moving very fast.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well to be honest, in a week I've gone from an iPhone 4 to a Nexus 4 and now to an iPhone 5 and the iPhone is definitely a better phone all round than the Nexus. It's as quick in use (even if specs say otherwise), the battery is better, and the camera is noticeably better. Don't even get me started on the build quality!
    I really wanted the Nexus to be a great phone as I already have a Nexus 7, but in my opinion it's not even in the same league. Yes I know it costs more but it's worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jwball wrote: »
    Well to be honest, in a week I've gone from an iPhone 4 to a Nexus 4 and now to an iPhone 5 and the iPhone is definitely a better phone all round than the Nexus. It's as quick in use (even if specs say otherwise), the battery is better, and the camera is noticeably better. Don't even get me started on the build quality!
    I really wanted the Nexus to be a great phone as I already have a Nexus 7, but in my opinion it's not even in the same league. Yes I know it costs more but it's worth it.

I assume you havent got the black iPhone 5 with scratches then :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kinetic charging is the future I tell you. Imagine a phone that charges it's self!!

I also like the sound of felxiphone a phone that can wrap around you arm, or other limb, no more need for pockets, plus the drop test would have to be extreme to break it.

But the true near future is all about seamless connectivity, between any phone/ TV/ laptop/ tablet, this I think is where Apple will struggle as although they are good with connectivity it has to be between Apple only products, I can never see Apple allowing me to connect to a Sony TV without the need for a Apple box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alcdrew wrote: »
    Kinetic charging is the future I tell you. Imagine a phone that charges it's self!!

I also like the sound of felxiphone a phone that can wrap around you arm, or other limb, no more need for pockets, plus the drop test would have to be extreme to break it.

But the true near future is all about seamless connectivity, between any phone/ TV/ laptop/ tablet, this I think is where Apple will struggle as although they are good with connectivity it has to be between Apple only products, I can never see Apple allowing me to connect to a Sony TV without the need for a Apple box.

good call regarding connectivity. One of the (few) jealousies I have against Apple is the wealth of docks and peripherals that they seem to have .... however with the move to more wireless connectivity this might start to sway in Androids/Windowss/Blackberrys favour - I can already use DNLA to wirelessly stream stuff from phone to TV, and have a bluetooth speaker dock. I think Apples change of connector might end up killing the Apple-centric dock market. If companies are going to have to redesign for a new connector then they may as well go wireless and make use of Bluetooth .... therefore opening themselves up to a MUCH larger market than the iPhone brigade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you havent got the black iPhone 5 with scratches then :p

Yes black with no scratches. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good call regarding connectivity. One of the (few) jealousies I have against Apple is the wealth of docks and peripherals that they seem to have .... however with the move to more wireless connectivity this might start to sway in Androids/Windowss/Blackberrys favour - I can already use DNLA to wirelessly stream stuff from phone to TV, and have a bluetooth speaker dock. I think Apples change of connector might end up killing the Apple-centric dock market. If companies are going to have to redesign for a new connector then they may as well go wireless and make use of Bluetooth .... therefore opening themselves up to a MUCH larger market than the iPhone brigade.

I've not used a dock since I bought my Sonos a few years ago. They are a bit old hat nowadays ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone noticed that The Gadget Show is sponsored by Windows 8 Phone now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes black with no scratches. :cool:

give it a few weeks ;)

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've not used a dock since I bought my Sonos a few years ago. They are a bit old hat nowadays ;)

Looked at a Sonos but bearing in mid that i only wanted it for kitchen and bedroom i couldnt really justify it.

Went for a Philips fidelio thingy instead which i am very pleased with.

My point though was that if you go into an electrical shop almost every mini-hifi or speaker system has a bloomin' ipod dock stuck on the front. i really dont want or need that and i find it very offputting.