Slingbox launched in UK

See the press release here

What do people think - anyone seen one of these in action, what's the quality like?

Comments

• stephendstephend Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm picking mine up from PC World this afternoon. Will post pros and cons once I've had a play with it.

I thought it would never get here. No SCART I see.

User Guide HERE if anyone wants a look.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    looks pretty good, i might need one of those, will be interested to read reviews after you have installed it
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    stephend wrote:
    No SCART I see.

No, there is a SCART adapter in the sales package though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a pile-o-crap. Okay, maybe a bit harsh....

It installed really easily - took me about 15mins in all. No hitches, even when selecting to port-forward on my router manually (never trust uPNP on a router!).

HOWEVER, off all the devices pre-loaded into the software to control your AV hardware, there is NO support for the Telewest TVDrive (the HD DVR), and there is NOT A SINGLE Philips DVR supported either.

So that's me up sh1t creek without a paddle.

The streaming seems to work well, but that was within my LAN, so the data rate was huge. The acid test will be at work tomorrow....
  • Troy TempestTroy Tempest Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Fancy getting one of these so as my brother can watch the cricket in Hong Kong.

First impressions and screenshots from this guy here
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a Gadget-o-the-year! Having had a chat with a helpful chap at Sling, I discovered that the Philips DVRs are listed under DVD set-up menu (pretty daft of me not to check there, given that it is a DVR with a built-in DVD too!). Unfortunately it is their 'default' remote rather than a clone of the real thing, but it's good enough.

Thanks Jeremy ;-)

Streaming to my work PC was terrific. A bit jumpy at times (probably down to my PC), but with Telewest limiting upload speeds to 384kb/s, I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.

You can gain access to the basic functionality of the Telewest TV Drive by selecting NTL as your cable provider, but you can't access the PVR features of the TV Drive with that remote. I'm told they are working on it, and to watch out for future updates.

There is a slight latency in the response to remote control commands, but if you have a Telewest set-top-box, you will be used to that.

Cancel my last message (a case of newbie-itus) - this is an excellent product. The only downside, in my view, is it would be nice to have a full selection of exact-replica remotes for all the popular hardware.

Perhaps if creating the 'virtual remotes' was an open-source type thing, it would solve this drawback.
  • NFLFanNFLFan Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the slingbox have an home network mode. i.e when your within your own home wireless network it doesnt need to use oyur broadband connection.

Deciding between this and the sony location free tv model. I know the sony has the home mode and I love the idea of getting home tv on my psp as well as laptop for ultimate portability
  • Troy TempestTroy Tempest Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    No, internet connection not required if all you want do is watch from another part of the house/network.

It also has an in built DVB-T tuner so you can watch Freeview on a PC.

See here Sling Media
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stephend wrote:
    Having had a chat with a helpful chap at Sling, I discovered that the Philips DVRs are listed under DVD set-up menu (pretty daft of me not to check there, given that it is a DVR with a built-in DVD too!). Unfortunately it is their 'default' remote rather than a clone of the real thing, but it's good enough.

You can gain access to the basic functionality of the Telewest TV Drive by selecting NTL as your cable provider, but you can't access the PVR features of the TV Drive with that remote. I'm told they are working on it, and to watch out for future updates.

Having had my slingbox for a few months now, let me just say that all the good words and promises from Slingbox about supporting the Telewest TVDrive came to absolutely nothing.

The problem is the 'virtual remote' they provide has only basic functionality (same for my Philips PVR), and one of the many things NOT included is a button to set or access the recordings (even the four coloured buttons don't work correctly).

I was given one assurance after another that they were 'working on it' and it was 'coming soon' - but this was all hot air, and it never happened.

In my view there is nothing worse than false promises from Customer Support, and that is what you get from Sling Media.

If you want a box that lets you flick the channels over the internet and view what happens to be on the telly at the time - this is the product for you. But if you have a Telewest TVDrive, or a Philips PVR, and you want to remotely set or view a recording - forget it.

The seem to treat the virtual remote as a frilly extra, and only have a one ot two that actually look like your branded remote. The default for most devices yu own is a crappy 'generic' remote with half the buttons missing. Don't be fooled by their PR. It is NOT like you are sitting there with your actual remote in your hand.

What they need to remember is that as far as the user is concerned, the remote is the TOP OF LIST of things they need to get right. The whole experience hinges on it.

If you are listening, Sling Media, don't contact me telling me you are all concerned about my experience, and hoping I'll edit my post like you did last time.

I meaure by results, so just get the effing thing fixed.
  • JohnWJohnW Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks like it might be an acceptable alternative - Hava Wireless

It has an IR blaster - so it might be usable with Sky boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked one up the other day, though first off I got the Sony Location Free model, and to be honest it was crap.
    Took it back and got the sling box, £50 cheaper and so much better in quality and no £20 charge per install on each machine.
    Though bit miffed you have to pay for the PDA software, but even thats pretty good.
  • LaggyLaggy Posts: 3,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Received my Slingbox yesterday from Play.com - Very impressed so far with it, did the software/firmware update first off, which went without a hitch. It has the Sky + remote design built in, which was a nice little surprise and makes it much more user friendly than using a generic design.

Picture & Audio quality is good on my home network, I have yet to try it yet outside of the home (that will come on Monday) but it seems to be all set up correctly for use. I have got the software installed on a USB key and it seems to be running ok off of it.

The in built Freeview tuner seems a little slow, and not as good PQ as my Sky+ which is connected via s-video, but its still very, very watchable.

Should be interesting on how it performs over the internet rather than just over my LAN.. I’m not expecting a perfect picture with ntl's 400k upload, just as long its watchable & controllable!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Does any one know if the UK version of the PDA software will be released? If it is released where I can get a copy?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow look good first i know about these ... how do thay work?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Fantastic toy...

I love mine.. I have one in New York and one in the UK. Basically you connect it to your sky box/DVR and to your router.

Once its' set up and working you log onto it from a pc and watch your TV from anywhere in the world.

If you have Sky+ you control your programme guide from your pc.

Total control. pretty good picture quality, and no missed TV when you can't be in the same place as your DVR.

by far my favorite purchase(s) this year

(and no I don't work for Sling media) :-)