Cat scared of my dad...

CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On Friday my Dad "accidentally" broke the front room window and my little cat was right by it and it scared him and he ran off thankfully upstairs to my room, rather than running off outside, but now whenever my Dad makes a noise like when he's coming down the stairs or even slightly raising his voice my cat runs off and hides somewhere. He's ok if my dad strokes him and makes a fuss of him and he's alright with me and my mom and brother and doesn't run off and hide if we make a noise it's just my dad. I can see in my cat's face that he's scared :( when I see him in his hiding place. Is there anyway I can get my cat not to be scared anymore or will it just take time.

Comments

• timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He obviously just got a scare and associates it with your dad. I'm sure he'll get over it in time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CANDYANGEL wrote: »
    On Friday my Dad "accidentally" broke the front room window and my little cat was right by it and it scared him and he ran off thankfully upstairs to my room, rather than running off outside, but now whenever my Dad makes a noise like when he's coming down the stairs or even slightly raising his voice my cat runs off and hides somewhere. He's ok if my dad strokes him and makes a fuss of him and he's alright with me and my mom and brother and doesn't run off and hide if we make a noise it's just my dad. I can see in my cat's face that he's scared :( when I see him in his hiding place. Is there anyway I can get my cat not to be scared anymore or will it just take time.

Maybe your dad could hold some biscuits for the cat or a rattley ball or something and just kind of play with him to let him know that your dad is not some kind of terrifying ogre and that he is not gonna hurt your cat hopefully he will start to feel safe round him again:( Hope this helps:)
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    You'll have to have him put to sleep :)
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »

I assume you're talking about the Dad, and not the cat? :cool:
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tell your dad to move out and report him to the rspca for good measure.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Get your Dad to feed him from now on, the cat will forget his "trauma" in time (they are very fickle like that).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:eek::eek:
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member

Her Dad or the Cat? Either seems harsh.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a scaredy-cat :p

Some cats are more nervous than others. If they get a big fright it can take a little time for their nerves to return to previous calmness! Plenty of love and reassurance it'll be ok :)
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mines a complete wuss. he runs away whenever anyone knocks on the door and hides under the duvet. he's been like that since a kitten. some cats are just highly strung.
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat will jump at the slightest of bangs or noises that are unexpected, dont worry about it, your cat will forget very soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I scared my Dog in the same way when she was a Pup, she's 7 now and we get on famously!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    tell your dad to move out and report him to the rspca for good measure.

I presume you are joking?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    mines a complete wuss. he runs away whenever anyone knocks on the door and hides under the duvet. he's been like that since a kitten. some cats are just highly strung.

Some have good reason though. My mum's used to hide under the settee (which was only two inches off the floor :eek:) whenever anyone came to visit, including us, but they had been abominably treated before they were rescued as kittens by Cats Protection. They had obviously been kicked all over the place by someone as they hated the sound of shoes on the floor and were a lot more at ease once you had taken your shoes off.
  • Kiwi oneKiwi one Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get your Dad to give the cat alot of tender loving care that should fix it. Tell him to handle her gently perhaps he's a bit heavy handed.:eek:;):D