Options

LCD TV Flicker

Hi,

I have recently bought a LG 32inch LCD HDTV...I have noticed some flicker when watching HD content through it, specially when plugged up to xbox360 (Im using MS component cable.)

Can anyone tell me if this 'flicker' is common on lcd tvs of may i have a problem.??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    They shouldn't flicker really, maybe if it was a CRT screen, but LCDs generally seem to get rid of noticable flicker.

Maybe some settings need changing (especially on the Xbox, if you've picked 1080i, that could be why, it's doing..... something weird that I think I know, but can't explain! 720p would be better at reducing flicker).

If you can't fix it through settings on the Xbox and TV, it may have a problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    thanks for the quick reply...iam running at 1080i so will try and drop 2 720p. Its only noticeable on bright bold colours...mainly blues...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    Ashypants wrote:
    thanks for the quick reply...iam running at 1080i so will try and drop 2 720p. Its only noticeable on bright bold colours...mainly blues...
    The i in 1080i is for interlaced, which I think means it refreshes half the screen every other frame (so a sort of 30fps), and the p in 720p is for progressive, meaning it refreshes whole whole screen each frame (so effectively 60fps).

I think I have that right anyway, I'm sure someone'll correct me if not. But p is a lot better than i. 1080 will be better for a still image than 720 (as it's a higher resolution), but p is much better for moving images than i, so that seems to be the best at the moment (although there's an update coming out for the 360 that'll let you have 1080p, so then you can pick the best of both!).

I have to turn the colour saturation down, the contrast up, and the brightness and sharpness down a little on my 360 to get a good image on my TV, but that might vary between TV sets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Ive tried both settings and there is still a visible flicker on the screen when displaying bold colours. Looks like electrical interference type flicker...