Options

Humax PVR-9300T: Does Your One Do This?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Sadly the OTA software update HPTTF 1.00.23 for the PVR-9150T has not fixed the Family Guy and American Dad playback problems. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Have these symptoms across all channels with my 9300T, issues with power off, incomplete EPG, freezing after playback, loss of lip sync, issues with fast forward and jumping, plus loss of series links. All very annoying however all this started when I downloaded the latest software, previous to that it's been working fine this year with no issues.

Bought this in late October 09 shortly before the Winter Hill DSO, had some issues with the supplied software and mainly the retune popup which was rectified early in the New Year, been fine since, however as said all changed when the latest download came along....
  • Options
    TV KingTV King Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Roy_Batty please read my post which I posted today (Monday 23rd August) at 11.45 it is about the latest software for the Humax 9300T.

Link to it below

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1323029
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi
    New poster - I'm having the same playback issues with Family Guy recordings with a recently purchased 9300T. Latest firmare update (HPTTF 1.00.23). Video jumps sections and puts the audio sync out, mucho irritating.

Located in Perth, Scotland, so different transmitter to the ones mentioned previously.

Has anybody had any luck sorting this out yet? Have emailed Humax but no response yet.

Should I be sending this back as unfit for purpose, or is there likely to be a solution along soon?

Thanks
    Richard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I wouldn’t hold your breath if you are expecting Humax to provide a solution to the Family Guy playback problem. After thinking my first PVR-9150T was faulty (Humax support thought so too as I phoned them about it) I exchanged it for another and had exactly the same problem. Contacting Humax support this time by email explaining the problem in detail and telling them it must now be a common problem as this was the second to exhibit the fault I was told to retune the unit and make sure it had the latest software (1.00.18). That’s all they could offer as advice even when I told them about this thread and that others were having the same issue. Not happy with the lack of help from Humax I obtained a full refund for my second box. With the release of HPTTF 1.00.23 and the suggestion from an earlier post that this had fixed the problem I bought my third box only to find the issue still remains. Unlukily my third box was supplied with a remote which had an unresponsive button so I had to ring Humax support about this. Guess what they said, did my box have the latest software installed, a standard response regardless of your issue. After assuring them it did they posted me a replacement so no complaints there. But as for recording Family Guy and American Dad, I don’t bother anymore. I guess it is possible that there is some sort of copy protection on these programmes as I can watch the programmes broadcast live but can’t sucessfully play them back.
  • Options
    Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I record Family Guy and American Dad on my 9200 using AR/SL with no problems on playback so no copy protection as suggested in the post immediately above. I sometime use my 8000 also with no problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've tried to record Family Guy on my 9300 at software versions 19 and 23 over quite some time. It always gets corrupted and exhibits the skipping issues everyone else has described.
    My transmitter is Carmel so no chance of retuning to Crystal Palace for me.
    The skip corruption can occur on other programs too but only really if I stress the system - e.g By recording 2 shows whilst playing back a third, and ad-skipping/rewinding.
    Under the old software I found it possible to introduce a corruption during a simple playback, and clear that corruption by stopping and resuming playback.
    Family Guy is a whole different mess though. It consistently makes bad recordings even if the box is doing nothing else at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've started having this problem for the first time with the new series of Family Guy on BBC3 in the last few weeks. No other programmes are affected, but FG is almost unwatchable because of this problem where the sound suddenly skips ahead and remains out of sync unless you pause/stop/skip back to just after the affected point (missing 30 secs of dialogue each time because if you skip back to just before the problem point the same problem happens again and again). This only happens with the NEW FG episodes, and the old ones transmitted on the same evening are just fine.

I live in Yorkshire and receive signals from Emley Moor - so where do I retune to? I can just about get Belmont and the one up in Teesside but only just. Why is it only Family Guy and not all the other programmes I record (BBC3 and others)? This is obviously a widespread problem - has anybody had any kind of useful response from Humax on this?
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I thought it was just my 9150 that was going wrong. Then I found this thread...

Just recently my 9150 has exhibited the problems described in this thread. I first noticed it on BBC2 with the 2nd episode of "The Shadowline" - I had 2 or 3 20s jumps in the programme although, as others have spotted, all the programme seems to be there but it is impossible to play it all.

As there was a repeat of that programme I tried to record the repeat. There was at least one jump in the programme - very close to the position it was in the first recording.

I have also had problems recording "Points of View" ,"Andrew Marr" (BBC1) and "Have I got a bit more news for you" (BBC2). Not had a problem with HIGNFY on BBC1 though.

Had no problems with BBC4 and "The Killing" but had problems with one episode of "Spiral" which didn't occur on the repeat.

Had no problems with any other channels until I had a problem yesterday with Film4 [possibly unrelated to the problems here] which recorded a whole film (so it said) but only had a 2 min ad break (I manually set a padded time because I find the automatic ones unreliable).

For the record- Humax 9150t, Hardware Rev 1, s/w HPTTF 1.00.23, transmitter - Waltham pre DSO.

I wonder if the BBC are inserting something into the data stream that Humaxes can't cope with. It is certainly making me lose my trust in recording using the Humax.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Just to chime in as another with the (new series of) Family Guy problem. Again on a humax 9150, and this time with a signal from Crystal Palace.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to add my voice, I bought a PVR-9150T a couple of months back. Just like some of the other posters, I've found that everything I've recorded plays back fine - except Family Guy and American Dad. Some play back fine, but the new series of Family Guy is a total disaster. Stuttering every thirty seconds, jumping minutes ahead etc.

Nice machine, but....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    simonselby wrote: »
    I've started having this problem for the first time with the new series of Family Guy on BBC3 in the last few weeks. No other programmes are affected, but FG is almost unwatchable because of this problem where the sound suddenly skips ahead and remains out of sync unless you pause/stop/skip back to just after the affected point (missing 30 secs of dialogue each time because if you skip back to just before the problem point the same problem happens again and again). This only happens with the NEW FG episodes, and the old ones transmitted on the same evening are just fine.

I live in Yorkshire and receive signals from Emley Moor - so where do I retune to? I can just about get Belmont and the one up in Teesside but only just. Why is it only Family Guy and not all the other programmes I record (BBC3 and others)? This is obviously a widespread problem - has anybody had any kind of useful response from Humax on this?

I have the humax PVR-9300-T. Everything except Family guy and American Dad work fine. FG and AD skip all over the place. I formatted it but stilll the same problem. However an older episode of family guy (season 2) worked fine. I'm in county Durham and get transmition for Teeside so can assure it wouldn't solve the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I'm so pleased I have found this tread as I was really starting to think I was going mad.

I too have a Humax 9300 and it had been working fine before the Nottingham transmitter had phase one of the digital switchover, after that I've struggled to be able to record Family Guy and American Dad (annoyed as the PVR is in the bedroom mainly to record these 2 programs),

I've tried everything, moved the aerial retuned, formatted manual tuning as suggested by Humax and nothing has solved the problem.

At least I now know it's not just me having a problem, but it's annoying that neither the BBC or Humax seem willing to accept that there's an issue with recording certain programs from BBC Three.

If this is never going to get sorted I may look into returning the PVR as not fit for purpose.

If someone does figure out what the issue is, please post on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so pleased I have found this tread as I was really starting to think I was going mad.

I too have a Humax 9300 and it had been working fine before the Nottingham transmitter had phase one of the digital switchover, after that I've struggled to be able to record Family Guy and American Dad (annoyed as the PVR is in the bedroom mainly to record these 2 programs),

I've tried everything, moved the aerial retuned, formatted manual tuning as suggested by Humax and nothing has solved the problem.

At least I now know it's not just me having a problem, but it's annoying that neither the BBC or Humax seem willing to accept that there's an issue with recording certain programs from BBC Three.

If this is never going to get sorted I may look into returning the PVR as not fit for purpose.

If someone does figure out what the issue is, please post on here.

I use the Nottingham transmitter for my 9200, I record Family Guy and American Dad regularly and have no problem. It seems many people have problems recording these two programmes on 9xx0 machines, it's a strange one.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-les wrote: »
    It seems many people have problems recording these two programmes on 9xx0 machines, it's a strange one.

I think this is a problem specific to the 9150/9300. The earlier 9200 amd the later HD models are not affected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a problem specific to the 9150/9300. The earlier 9200 amd the later HD models are not affected.

The 9200 is affected Martin, see here. Conversely my friend has a 9300 using the Waltham transmitter and while she doesn't record much Family Guy the episodes she has recorded have been ok.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I have this problem with my 9300 but not with my 9200
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only the new episodes of Family Guy fail to record properly. They are different to the older episodes in one other respect .. they are in widescreen. The others are 4:3. Can't think why that should make any difference but I thought it was worth a mention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    My 9150T has the same problem, mainly with Family Guy. Tried to replay Fox-y Lady, audio came through in short bursts a bout 1 second intervals, together with scene skipping, completely unwatchable.
    Contacted Humax mentioning this forum, they suggested retuning and default reset. Didn't fix it. Then Humax offered a repair quotation, which would be at my expense, unit is out of warranty. I guess I'll have to live with it.
    I must say however that the Humax is the best bit of kit I have ever used in the AV field. We never use the inbuilt tuner on the TV. Shame about the niggles with FG.Incidentally, the old 'Star Wars' Family Guy just recorded perfectly yesterday.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-les wrote: »
    The 9200 is affected Martin, see here.

Sorry but that is a single report and most other reports I have seen suggest the 9200 is not usually affected. I will need more evidence to be convinced otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I bought a brand new PVR-9150T last week. Set it up, programmed a few recordings, the first of which was Family Guy. Needless to say I was unimpressed when I went to watch it back and the audio problems made it unwatchable.

Luckily I found this forum (new member now) and am grateful.
    I wrote to Humax and even sent them a link to this page.

Today I got the following email from Humax customer support.
    Its a bit vague, but at least it acknowledges the problem!
    (see below.)

Still can't decide whether to send it back and spend twice as much on a good old (infallible, i.m.o) Panasonic..

Thanks guys,.

__FWD__

RE: PVR-9150T : errors upon making recordings from BBC3- Family Guy

Dear Sir

This is a problem that we’re aware of. We are looking into what the problem is and there will hopefully be a fix for this soon.

Many Thanks

Adam Smith
    Humax Customer Support
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    if it's of any interest my old digihome pvr does this with family guy too.
  • Options
    Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    01001101 wrote: »
    1) One some recorded programmes it will suddenly jump forwards in time, missing out whole sections, which is accompanied by the sound going miles out of sync.
    01001101 wrote: »
    With my unit, the problem seems to exist in programmes around the same part of my play list, despite old ones being deleted and new ones recorded. I wonder if it is using the same part of the hard drive and there is something wrong with the file table structure or something.

I have this problem too. I don't want to format my hard drive as I have a lot of stuff I haven't watched yet, so as a work around I used the Protect option in the Edit File menu so that a skipping program cannot be deleted.

This means no new programs get recorded over that section of the hard drive & the result is no more glitchy recordings (so far).

Eventually I will get round to watching everything and then I'll format the HDD in the hope that that fixes the problem permanently.
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I have this problem too. I don't want to format my hard drive as I have a lot of stuff I haven't watched yet, so as a work around I used the Protect option in the Edit File menu so that a skipping program cannot be deleted.

This means no new programs get recorded over that section of the hard drive & the result is no more glitchy recordings (so far).

I've had problems similar to these and used the same workaround - however I'm not convinced that this is the problem this thread is referring to.

It would seem that people are reporting skipping programmes on the BBC multiplex with BBC1/2/3 on it (pre DSO). Whether this continues after DSO and includes BBC4 I don't know. I don't think the problem as described seems to occur on ITV1/2/3/4 C4/More4/Film4/E4 or 5/5*/5USA.

The fact that people here are mainly reporting the problems with newer episodes of programmes on BBC3 and not with older ones seems to suggest it is not an individual Humax disk that is at fault but either a BBC data error or a Humax software error or a subtle combination of both.

If Humax are now claiming they are aware of the problem maybe it will get solved before I throw mine out the window when it messes up a programme I want to watch!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    My 9150T has the same problem, mainly with Family Guy. Tried to replay Fox-y Lady, audio came through in short bursts a bout 1 second intervals, together with scene skipping, completely unwatchable.
    Contacted Humax mentioning this forum, they suggested retuning and default reset. Didn't fix it. Then Humax offered a repair quotation, which would be at my expense, unit is out of warranty. I guess I'll have to live with it.
    I must say however that the Humax is the best bit of kit I have ever used in the AV field. We never use the inbuilt tuner on the TV. Shame about the niggles with FG.Incidentally, the old 'Star Wars' Family Guy just recorded perfectly yesterday.

Sounds a bit harsh of Humax to expect you to pay to fix something that so many people are having. It's either a fault with the software or hardware that Humax should fix.

I brought a humax because it was a brand name I recognised and read many good reviews but as my box is useless until they fix this issue I would never buy another Humax box again.
    I don't know how true it is, but if you purchased on a credit card you can contact the card provider with evidence that the box isn't 'fit for purpose' as it's a PVR it should be able to record a program without skipping and being unwatchable.

I still have had no reply from Humax and my box should will be in warranty. If I don't get a reply soon I will be looking into my options for returning the thing before it gets a hammer thrown at it ;)