9300T no volume adjustment on HDMI

albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
Forum Member
✭✭
I have recently changed my TV to a Panasonic Veira. To connect the 9300T to it I had to change the link between them from SCART on the old set to HDMI on this one (there is only one SCART on the Panny and I need it for something else).

Since then, I have noticed that the volume control on the 9300T has no effect on the sound (it remains on full) even though the bar changes correctly on screen. The mute button, however, still mutes correctly. This happens both on playback and on live TV viewed using the Humax.

This is a feature that I have previously noted with some boxes when using SCART outputs designated as for "VCR", in which instance it makes sense that the volume stays on full for transferring recordings.

I have tried changing the HDMI connection at the TV end to a different input with no difference. I have searched the menus and manuals of both the Humax and the TV for anything which could affect this to no avail.

Does anyone know of this problem and of a way to overcome it?

PS. It is not a major issue for me, more an irritation.

Comments

• Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Since then, I have noticed that the volume control on the 9300T has no effect on the sound (it remains on full) even though the bar changes correctly on screen. The mute button, however, still mutes correctly.
    I don't have a 9300 but I believe what you have described is how it works and there is nothing you can do to change the HDMI volume from the 9300.

Is it feasible to use SCART from 9300 to TV and attach the other device to the VCR socket of the 9300?
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a 9300 but I believe what you have described is how it works and there is nothing you can do to change the HDMI volume from the 9300.
    Thanks Martin. Well, if that is how it works then I will just have to live with it. Not much hardship to pick up the TV remote instead. :)
    Is it feasible to use SCART from 9300 to TV and attach the other device to the VCR socket of the 9300?
    I don't think that would be practical, even if it would work.

The other device is my No. 1 PVR (a Topfield with no HDMI. The 9300 is just for when I want to record 3 or 4 things at once!) so I wouldn't want to have the 9300 switched on when I am not actively using it, which I assume that scenario would require. I prefer to keep them independent of each other.
  • Big-lesBig-les Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that would be practical, even if it would work.

The other device is my No. 1 PVR (a Topfield with no HDMI. The 9300 is just for when I want to record 3 or 4 things at once!) so I wouldn't want to have the 9300 switched on when I am not actively using it, which I assume that scenario would require. I prefer to keep them independent of each other.

It does work and the 9300 would only need to be in STANDBY, not ON.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big-les wrote: »
    It does work and the 9300 would only need to be in STANDBY, not ON.
    Interesting, however, I have just realised that the VCR SCART on the 9300 is already in use feeding to a DVD recorder.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    You could daisy-chain Toppy through Hummy through DVDR to the TV?

That said, since I changed from an old Panny CRT to my current Sammy LCD TV I found the PQ over SCART from the Toppy is visibly poorer than over HDMI from any of my other, newer PVRs (or compared to the TV's built in tuner) so I use the Toppy now just for recording radio often to rip to my MP3 player to listen to on the road.

You could also make live easier by using an activity-based remote control so that the volume control works the TV and the other buttons work the Toppy or Hummy or DVDR. I use a Harmony 555.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks S. That might stretch my capabilities just a bit too far (both rearranging it and controlling it)! I think I had better stick with what I have and just remember to use the other remote for the volume when on the 9300.

As I said above, it is not a major issue for me, more an irritation as I don't use the Humax all the time. I still use the Toppy (complete with your old remote) nearly all the time because I love MyStuff and I am quite happy with the PQ (easily satisfied perhaps :) ).
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    MyStuff is still the gold standard for a PVR UI in my book. I feel I have gone back ten years in how I have to control the other, newer PVRs. Have a load of searches set in MS just to flag up when programmes are due to be broadcast to remind me to set them to record elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    MyStuff is still the gold standard for a PVR UI in my book. I feel I have gone back ten years in how I have to control the other, newer PVRs
    Couldn't agree more. I dread the day when I have to avail myself of Andy's facilities because the caps need doing as I would really miss MS even for a few days.
  • creddishcreddish Posts: 5,285
    Forum Member
    Thanks S. That might stretch my capabilities just a bit too far (both rearranging it and controlling it)! I think I had better stick with what I have and just remember to use the other remote for the volume when on the 9300.

As I said above, it is not a major issue for me, more an irritation as I don't use the Humax all the time. I still use the Toppy (complete with your old remote) nearly all the time because I love MyStuff and I am quite happy with the PQ (easily satisfied perhaps :) ).
    I have similar sentiments. I have a Humax 9200 (SCART only) which produces noticeable poorer pictures on my recently purchased Samsung LED TV than my Humax HDR T2 and my DigitalStream DHR-8205 connected. via HDMI. However, the User Interface is more convenient on the 9200 than on the two HD PVRs. The HDR T2 compulsory "folder" storage of recordings means navigation of the Recordings List to play recordings and delete recordings is vastly more complex and for a typical evenings viewing requires approximately 70 button presses compared with approximately 15 on the 9200.

I also miss the convenience of SCART daisy chaining of the 4 or 5 AV devices I have installed.

Another factor is that my wife flatly refuses to control any device other than the 9200. Actually I guess this factor is probably the most important one,

Basically the above means that the despite its shortcomings the 9200 is used as our main PVR, with the others relegated to back-ups.

Colin