Dog having throat spasms

fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
Forum Member
My 18 month old sproodle had a big drink of water this afternoon then about 10 mins later he started having these throat spasms. At first I thought they were hiccups but on closer inspection I realised they weren't.

Called the vets and they saw him straight away (they're very good to us like that), but the vet looked down his throat and couldn't see anything stuck in there, gave him some food and felt it go all the way down, and admitted she had no idea what was causing it but didn't think it was serious as there was nothing in his throat. He seems fine in himself and not bothered by them, but obviously I'm a bit worried. They're not as regular as they were 2 hours ago, but still happening.

Has anyone else's dog had these and how long do they last for? I'm guessing they're caused by some sort of irritation (maybe drinking his water too quickly beforehand) but just need some reassurance as I feel the vet wasn't too helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you describe the spasams? What does he do?
  • marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have chi's who get what they call reverese sneezing. Lola gets it a lot when she's irritated by air freshener. Rubbing the neck to make them sawllow helps plus covering over their nose and mouth for a moment.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    marieukxx wrote: »
    Can you describe the spasams? What does he do?

It's kind of like a hiccup/burp but without the sound. I think they've stopped now, hopefully. I still have no idea what it was.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    It's kind of like a hiccup/burp but without the sound. I think they've stopped now, hopefully. I still have no idea what it was.
    Do a video search for reverse sneezing and see if that's the sound.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Do a video search for reverse sneezing and see if that's the sound.

Woah, No it was definitely not that! It was more of a hiccup/burp like I say but without the sound, in fact, it was almost as if his throat was contracting. They've stopped now, but still confused!
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Woah, No it was definitely not that! It was more of a hiccup/burp like I say but without the sound, in fact, it was almost as if his throat was contracting. They've stopped now, but still confused!

Dogs are like us, things happen that we can not explain and then they stop just like that, as soon as they start.

I hope your pooch remains ok fizzle.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    I have chi's who get what they call reverese sneezing. Lola gets it a lot when she's irritated by air freshener. Rubbing the neck to make them sawllow helps plus covering over their nose and mouth for a moment.

Our hounds do this too. Will try the neck rub next time.