2»

Comments

• Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    I suspect you know the answer to that ;-):D

Mind you I was up at Emley Moor tower a few weeks ago and on the top of the buildings at the base of the tower there is a high gain TV aerial pointing at a weird angle towards the top of the mast as that is the only way Arqiva can receive telly from the site! So being able to see the mast from your window doesn't necessarily mean an indoor aerial will work :D

There is a transmitter on a hill very close to the centre of Ashbourne in Derbyshire. Although some aerials are pointed upwards to the top of the tower, many are pointed directly at the hillside. The aerials need to be angled about 45 degrees upward to work properly, the local aerial cowboys are presumably blind.

I remember doing a job at the Oxford transmitter many years ago and several aerials across the road from the site were pointing at the base of the mast.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    Just a suggestion but maybe they're buying a second aerial cos they're putting their old TV in the bedroom and there's no easy way to extend from the existing point - or maybe the two things are completely unrelated and they just happen to be buying an aerial for their Aunty Ethel or to go in their caravan (I once bought two things from Tesco and didn't eath them both in the same meal - who knew) - or maybe they absolutely DO know that there's a signal where they live and just want or need to install a new aerial for whatever reason.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    No need for a wideband aerial in the majority of cases. A correctly grouped aerial for your transmitter is best. This is especially true for group A areas as wideband types are poor at ch 21/22.

Quite right and there's some guidance here:
    http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/wolfbane.htm
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    There is a transmitter on a hill very close to the centre of Ashbourne in Derbyshire. Although some aerials are pointed upwards to the top of the tower, many are pointed directly at the hillside. The aerials need to be angled about 45 degrees upward to work properly, the local aerial cowboys are presumably blind.

Unfortunately many modern aerial clamps don't allow such angling :(

I was in Ashbourne earlier this week, and from where we were had a great view of the relay - like you say it's very close, and aerials should preferably be angled upwards. However, as it's so close it probably doesn't matter that much :D
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I think I must be pretty lucky because I can pick up almost all Freeview channels with my indoor aerial. My nearest transmitter is the Wrekin, but I assume I actually get all my channels from Sutton Coldfield because I can also pick up Com7.

The only channels I can't pick up on the indoor aerial are the local Sutton mux (for Big Centre TV) and Com8, though I can pick those up on my main TV which uses an aerial in the loft.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    ...thumbing thorough the in-store catalogue before buying a 40" Samsung.

The wife: "Don't forget, we need an aerial."

So they're buying a Freeview TV without even knowing if there's a signal where they live! :o

I didn't say anything, I doubt they would have thanked me for telling them what a proper aerial costs to install.

Probably under the impression they need a digital aerial that some fitters have claimed you need.
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's understandable. Man people don't seem to understand what "digital" means. For example, many people don't believe that printed text in a book is digital.
  • Options
    BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother had an analogue book - it was a talking book for the blind. :)
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bizman wrote: »
    My mother had an analogue book - it was a talking book for the blind. :)
    Very good. . :)