New DVD Recorder/Player

My grandson want a new dvd recorder/player to record sky but he does not want a SKY+ box so can anyone advise me about the best DVDRecorder/Player he could use.

Ken

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    One that has the Guide Plus+ feature:-

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First question.

Does he want the ability to record one Sky channel at the same time as watching a completely different Sky channel? Esppecially the Sky subscription channels?

If so then I don't know of a single DVD recorder with built in Sky receiver. Panasonic do a range with built in Freesat however. But as far as I am aware the only way to record one, watch another with Sky is to use the Sky+ service, though I stand to be corrected on that one.

A recorder with satellite receiver built in but no Sky card would record the free to air channels while you watch something else on the Sky box. A recorder without a satellite receiver built in will only be able to record what is being watched on the Sky box or from it's own terrestrial tuner if you plug up an aerial.
  • TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    Current Guideplus DVD/HDD recorders
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,465
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    One that has the Guide Plus+ feature:-

http://www.europe.guideplus.com/

GuidePlus is so fraught with problems and complaints, I would suggses it's an advantage NOT having it.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    I defer to your experience of the system as I bought my current HDD/DVDR before it existed so it is just one of those things on my wish list if and when I come to change it.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandson want a new dvd recorder/player to record sky but he does not want a SKY+ box so can anyone advise me about the best DVDRecorder/Player he could use.

Ken
    Do you know why he doesn't want Sky+? It is by far the best option for most people as well as being the cheapest.

Knowing the reasons (which aren't at all obvious) would help everyone come up with better suggestions.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The latest Sony HXD-RDR series are one of the best makes of DVD Recorder/HDD on the market IMHO and are Guideplus+ enabled. The difference in models (& price) relates to the hard disk size (120GB to 500GB).
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have a sony HDD Recorder - super, and once you get used to the editing, better than panasonic (which i also have)

if you want to archive stuff, its the best by far i think (and i save dozens of things, although I never watchnig half of them!)

only things worse than panasonic are
    a) cannot save editing titles, so you have to enter them all from scratch
    b) no insert chapter button
    c) Sony DVD Burning title screens are not as nice IMO

but editing/title management etc are much better, and more than compensate. you get an edited programme much quicker with the sony

These devices are freeview - you can only record 1 channel at a time, although you can watch recorded stuff at the same time. you can chase play the recording also - this is ok if you have a freeview TV, or some other TV source

the other issue with recording from another source eg SKY - is trying to automate it (I never bother!) is that you have to coordinate both bits of equipment - so that the sony turns on at the right time, and the SKY also turns to the right channel.

I am sure you can use magic eye type things (sony comes with one) but it seems so much hassle, I have never bothered.

for archiving stuff its absolutely great

Freeview recordings are digital. Edit out the adverts, and dub a 2hr recording to DVD in about 12 mins.

You can also do a dsk-to-disk digital copy of a DVD (not copy protected ones) - which you couldnt do digitally with my panasonic (although perhaps you can now)
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree, the editing facility on the Sony is a great feature once you understand how to use it. I was pleased with the quality of the recordings onto DVD-R from the HDD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies the reason he doe not want SKY + or should I say can't is because he lives in sheltered accomadation and the owners of the complex will not pay out to update the system so that he and a couple of others can use a SKY+. He would want to record one channel while watching another.
    If I bought him a sky+ box is it easy to connect up?
    Thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Sky+ box requires two connections to the LNB to work fully. Especially to record one channel and watch another. I'm not sure just what you would get with only a single connection.

And no it is not possible to split the single connection to make two.

From doing a modest amount of research it seems getting a Sky+ box to record off one LNB feed is a faf and it also appears that it is then impossible to record one channel and watch something else at the same time.

Basically the Sky+ box appears to use Input 1 primarily for watching and Input 2 for recording. If there is no input 2 it fails to record anything. So you have to fool it into using input 1. Which means setting up a dummy recording that will pick input 2. Then setting up your real recording which will pick input 1 because the box thinks input 2 is in use.

The dummy recording will fail so you don't waste any hard disk space. But because you now only have one tuner in use you cannot watch something else while the real recording is being made.

That kind of throws a large spanner in the works really.

The only alternative I know of is the Humax Freesat recorder. This can work off a single LNB feed with some limitations on what channels you can record and watch at the same time. Fairly obviously however you won't get the Sky subscription channels with that so no Sky Sports or Sky movies channels etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As Chris said with only one feed it is not realistic to record one Sky channel and watch another whatever equipment you have (it is technically possible to record one channel and watch a limited number of other channels but it's a pain in practice).

Does he get Freeview? If so (and obviously depending on finances) then it might make sense to get a DVDR as this will record off of either Freeview directly or via SCART from Sky, it would then be possible to watch Sky and record Freeview and if the TV got Freeview to watch Freeview and record Sky.

All of this can be a bit complex to use, you mention your grandson is in sheltered accommodation but don't say if he has any special needs (I'm not trying to pry, just help). If he might have difficulties then a Freeview PVR may be easier to use.

If money is not an issue (within reason) and he is capable then I would suggest a DVDR to record Sky and a Freeview PVR for anything that is on Freeview. Alternatively Sky+HD now has a single feed mode that is easier to use than a DVDR but there will be a £10 a month charge for the first year.
    Forum Member
    I think the best idea is go for freesat but will he be able to watch SKY?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best idea is go for freesat but will he be able to watch SKY?
    Not really.

They are competing systems. You most certainly will not get any of the Sky subscription channels and I am not completely certain you will get any of the free to air Sky services like Sky News

This will give you an idea of what is on.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main&PHPSESSID=objfqbc2qcdafpm3tndkoln3d4

As you will see no mention at all of any Sky services, which is not that surprising really.
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for help. We will have a chat over the weekend.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think a real question is whether he wants to save reocrdings on DVD

if he does then you need a DVD recorder, and a HARD DISK recorder is leagues better than a non-hard disk one.

you can feed a sky signal in and record that

the only difference between this and sky plus is you can only record one thing at a time

if he wants to save stuff on DVD - then a HDD DVD Recorder is a absolute requirement.

Personally, I would rate this higher than a Sky Plus facility, especially as it doesnt cost each month!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think a real question is whether he wants to save reocrdings on DVD

if he does then you need a DVD recorder, and a HARD DISK recorder is leagues better than a non-hard disk one.

you can feed a sky signal in and record that

the only difference between this and sky plus is you can only record one thing at a time
    This is not correct, there is a huge difference in convenience and ease of use, have you tried Sky+ or another PVR? This is more even than the difference between an HDD DVDR and a Freeview PVR because you are recording off a Sky box and so have to ensure that is on and tuned to the right channel.

Personally, I would rate this higher than a Sky Plus facility, especially as it doesnt cost each month!
    Whether being able to make a permanent copy is more important than proper PVR functions is as you say a matter of personal choice, I would think most people would disagree with yours but all we can do is give our own opinion on that. However I must point out that Sky+ does not cost anything for anyone with a Sky subscription.