Options

Amplified speakers for LG 19LS4R TV?

Hi,

I have just bought a LG 19" LCD TV but the sound quality is worse than awful and my wife is near to throwing out of the window!. It's only for the kitchen as I have a Panasonic Plasma with Surround Sound in the main room. Would a pair of 'cheap' amplified speakers be an optio to improve the sound or would I need to buy a seperate amp and speakers? Any recommendations on either option would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about a decent(ish) pair of PC speakers, you could connect them to the headphone socket - and if your LG tv is anything like mine, having them plugged in will disable the TVs internal speakers - and the volume work on the remote will still control your new speakers.

I don't know why they can't get these speakers right on small LCD TV's (or even big ones, for that matter) I know they don't have much space to play with..... but with all the modern technology we have today...
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why they can't get these speakers right on small LCD TV's (or even big ones, for that matter) I know they don't have much space to play with..... but with all the modern technology we have today...
    But you can't defy the laws of physics, no matter how much technology you throw at it :)

To reproduce bass frequencies properly you need a big drive unit and a lot of cabinet space to let it operate properly. That is why sub units are so much bigger than the rest of the speakers in a surround system.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17
    Forum Member
    How about a decent(ish) pair of PC speakers, you could connect them to the headphone socket - and if your LG tv is anything like mine, having them plugged in will disable the TVs internal speakers - and the volume work on the remote will still control your new speakers.

Thanks for the tip I'll give it a go. I'm also considering using a seperate amp or mini 2.1 system but I want one that's small and discrete. Any idea's
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I have a 22LG3050 in the dining/kitchen and the sound is similarly rubbish. I've tried various 2.1 amplified and non-amplified speakers (Thak goodness for Staples & PC World Returns policies!) and finally settled on a pair of Creative Gigaworks T20 SII speakers which are far from perfect but infinitely better than the LG on board sound.
    Having said that they are great with my cheap and cheerful Techwood LCD I bought from Morrison's for my study the on board sound on which is perfectly adequate anyway.
    My regret and advice to you is if you can take the LG back and exchange it for one with decent on board sound. Any few £s I saved buying mine have gone and much more by the cost of the speakers which I didn't want anyway. I wish I had!:(