Options

HUMAX PVR-9300T - Picture quality

The picture quality when receiving the signal through my Humax PVR-9300T (either recorded or live) is significantly poorer than when I route the signal direct to the TV.

My PVR is linked to the TV via RGB cables.

Has anyone a suggestion as to how this could be improves?

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your question isn't very clear, what do you mean by signal?

I think you mean the broadcast digital signals (via the aerial)

If that's what you mean then you are saying that when the aerial is plugged into the TV the ANALOGUE channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV1,Ch4,FIVE) are perfectly fine but when you plug the aerial into the Humax box the DIGITAL channels are not very good with lots of picture breakup.

Is that right?

If that is the case then your aerial (or aerial cable) will need changing or some kind of repair work doing on it. You might need a new aerial or you might be in an area that is rubbish for digital signals.

Please give more info.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Almost right!

My TV is a digital, so I get a digital signal direct to the TV as well as through the PVR. And the signal direct to the TV gives a better picture than through the PVR.

Also, there is no picture break up - it is the focus is not so sharp. In fact, it is only I looking at it critically who notices it, the other member of the household finds both pictures acceptable.

It could be interesting to swap the aerials and see if that swaps the picture quality. I shall have a go.
  • Options
    nancyboynancyboy Posts: 1,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be just a difference between the tuners in the PVR and the tuner in the TV. My Humax pictures are softer than my Sony tuner. It's not the signal, it's what the tuner does with the signal.

There is also a Humax output setting you could check, it is in Menu/Preferences/AV Control/TV Scart on my Humax.

If the aerial/signal works fine after it has been through the PVR and onward to the TV's internal tuner, then the aerial/signal sound OK to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the picture is a bit softer from the Humax?

If you havn't then check that the scart output (on the Humax) is set to RGB and not composite or S-Video.

As 'nancyboy' says it's in that menu somewhere.

Also make sure that the scart lead is in a scart socket (on the TV) that actually "does" RGB. Not all of them do.

Otherwise there won't be much that can be done, no point swapping aerials because it's a different thing entirely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Oooops - you have inspired me to look behind my fitment again. The RGB lead which I thought connected the HUMAX to the TV, in fact conects my DVD player to the TV. The HUMAX is indeed connected by a scart, and when I checked the HUMAX setting, the scart was set for VIDEO(S). I have changed this to RGB and my picture has improved.

All ends well. Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news.

Your DVD "RGB" lead is a COMPONENT lead (not actually RGB but basically the same) Not to be confused with Composite which is rubbish and seems what you had from your Humax all along.