Gomorrah - Italian Mob Drama

Comments

• SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor doggy. :(
  • diplodocusdiplodocus Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Feeling quite thick but i can't work out what the extra ballot they had actually achieved?

Timing is a bit unfortunate with Genny's story about the American hostage.
  • Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Episode 8 was a real Genny episode. Genny has grown up it seems due to what happened to him in Honduras.

This show continues to be a great weekly watch.
    Forum Member
    :( They make us root for Ciro, then pull the rug out from under us like that. Lesson learned, there are no heroes in this show, just villains and victims.
  • pubeypubey Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    That was great. A real change up.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow what an episode. Agree with diplodocus about Ciro who seemed to have some endearing qualities until he showed what lengths he'll go to and his treatment of Manu was truly shocking. Young Daniele's romantic ideas of being involved with the mafia soon turned into a horrific nightmare and the ending was so heartbreaking,
    Forum Member
    Wow what an episode. Agree with diplodocus about Ciro who seemed to have some endearing qualities until he showed what lengths he'll go to and his treatment of Manu was truly shocking. Young Daniele's romantic ideas of being involved with the mafia soon turned into a horrific nightmare and the ending was so heartbreaking,

Slightly disappointing that yet another promising character comes in and lasts exactly one episode before (potentially) dying, and yet another suicide.

They definitely seems to want to focus on the trail of destruction that the camorra can cause, especially because it draws people in (the accountant, Daniele etc) and then spits them out.

Conte/Daniele's brother vs Genny vs Ciro is going to result in one almighty bust-up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pubey wrote: »
    Slightly disappointing that yet another promising character comes in and lasts exactly one episode before (potentially) dying, and yet another suicide.

They definitely seems to want to focus on the trail of destruction that the camorra can cause, especially because it draws people in (the accountant, Daniele etc) and then spits them out.

Conte/Daniele's brother vs Genny vs Ciro is going to result in one almighty bust-up!
    Daniele did last 2 episodes, so he did better than most. :p

Ciro is getting less attractive by the episode! What an absolute bastard. :o It did seem at the beginning that they were setting him up to be the anti-hero of the show. But nope! I guess all of the protagonists in this are just terrible, terrible people. :D I'm just rooting for Imma now.
    Forum Member
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Daniele did last 2 episodes, so he did better than most. :p

Ciro is getting less attractive by the episode! What an absolute bastard. :o It did seem at the beginning that they were setting him up to be the anti-hero of the show. But nope! I guess all of the protagonists in this are just terrible, terrible people. :D I'm just rooting for Imma now.

yeah fair point.

It's definitely a good move to show that side to Ciro, you don't get to where he is by being a fairly nice anti-hero!

Really into this now, and can't wait to see how they bring it to a conclusion. Everything about it (acting, directing, writing, cinematography) has been absolutely top drawer.
  • tigertimtimtigertimtim Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    With Ciro now being exposed for being as bad as anything before him theres no one to root for so you tend to be less invested in the show....shame :(
    Forum Member
    With Ciro now being exposed for being as bad as anything before him theres no one to root for so you tend to be less invested in the show....shame :(

Yeah I can understand that. Gomorrah (the film and book) was never about rooting for people, but a hyper-realistic look at organised crime (an antidote to The Sopranos and even The Wire which looked to highlight how every one had good and bad traits).

Gomorrah (the TV series) isn't quite going for the same hyper-realism, but it's definitely looking like it's being pitched that way rather than giving us a character to really get behind.

Also, let's see how it pans out first! Ciro is just as trapped by the system as any other character - it's a brutal world.
    Forum Member
    This week's ep was pretty brutal stuff. That torture scene with Ciro and Manu was rather difficult to watch. But I think this show is deliberately gritty and realistic so its brutal sequences are necessary.

Last 3 eps should be fun given the setup of Conte returning to Italy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite bold to have have a show with no obvious "good" guy amongst the lead characters. Everyone is varying shades of awful and that is somewhat refreshing. And the lack of a crusading cop figure obsessively trying to bring the gangsters to justice is even rarer.
  • junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite bold to have have a show with no obvious "good" guy amongst the lead characters. Everyone is varying shades of awful and that is somewhat refreshing. And the lack of a crusading cop figure obsessively trying to bring the gangsters to justice is even rarer.

Yeah I never thought about the no boring cops chasing them all the time which does spoil lots of gritty shows in my opinion, does make a nice change.

I thinks its really good but not quite sold on the Genny character, I don't know what went on over there when he got taken hostage but it was some change and how he learned all about being a boss and running rackets in such a short time is a little too unbelievable for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    junipaire wrote: »
    I thinks its really good but not quite sold on the Genny character, I don't know what went on over there when he got taken hostage but it was some change and how he learned all about being a boss and running rackets in such a short time is a little too unbelievable for me.
    Yeah, his character change seemed a bit sudden. It would've helped if he'd been out of the action for more than one episode. He should've been gone for a few eps, at least, and then his big transformation would've been easier to believe.
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just caught up on all the episodes and my word, having watched a number at a time, came away with a feeling of dread. It's dramatised I know, but the senseless killing and violence is continuous and you see the characters take on such dark personas it almost frightening. Yet your emotions are taken to the other extremes for some as the power shifts between each.

Brilliant settings, acting and portrayal of the mafia in and around southern Italy,
    Forum Member
    Don't want to be too OTT but that was an incredible episode of TV. How it all came together was just amazing. Framing it around the drive back to Naples for Conte and Massimo was just brilliant. I've not seen an episode of TV like that for a long time, maybe Ozymandias from Breaking Bad.

The ending was brilliant, especially. I read something that said the best TV or film is where something unexpected happens but afterwards you can't imagine it any other way. That was exactly right.

The teaser for next week looked brilliant as well - that look between Conte and Ciro!!:D
    Forum Member
    Only two episodes left!

I was pretty sure Conte had something like that in mind, but it didn't make it any less gripping. The feeling of dread as they drove closer and closer.

The credits are always fantastic. Was that a sink filled with blood at the Savastano residence?
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The tension in that episode was immense :o

I was glad that Daniele hadn't killed himself and it looked as if the episode was going to end with no deaths until Conte showed his unforgiving side once he got the name he wanted from the boy, looks like his religious obsession doesn't do forgiveness. Massimo and Ciro are now crapping themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great episode.

I knew Daniele was a goner as soon as Conte got the name out of the him. What a fool Massimo was. It was pretty obvious that Conte wasn't going to forgive and forget.
    Forum Member
    Another great episode.

I knew Daniele was a goner as soon as Conte got the name out of the him. What a fool Massimo was. It was pretty obvious that Conte wasn't going to forgive and forget.

It made me think of The Wire. "If you come at the king, you better not miss".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pubey wrote: »
    It made me think of The Wire. "If you come at the king, you better not miss".
    Ah, the great Omar Little. :cool: Be interesting to see what Massimo does next. He's a bit of a wildcard now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hi, I'm Alba from Italy.

Glad to hear that you like the series. I think is one of the best series that we've produced in the last 30 years, if even more, together with Romanzo Criminale.

I loved this series and the ending was wow! :o;-)
    I can't wait for season 2. :)
  • WoodentopWoodentop Posts: 3,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The climax looks like a horrific clash of the families. Who survives for season 2 is the biggest question. As stated, your emotions are taken on a rollercoaster with feelings of fear and dread for each character after a almost gentle introduction to them and surely the leads are intrinsic to it's continued storylines.

The trust Massimo put in Conte was so naïve to say the least, to lead him to his brother was only ever to result in what it did. Where can he go now, the Savastano clan are unlikely to welcome him in!
    Forum Member
    Whilst I saw Daniele's fate with Conte at the end coming, another great episode.

I wonder who'll make it out alive for Season 2. Personally I can't see Gennaro or Conte surviving and I think Imma could be a goner too. Ciro is the interesting one - can he make it out alive from the war he started?

One other factor is Don Pietro. He is in prison but still alive.