Xp

2»

Comments

• Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    Things are getting worse, even slim browser is crashing now !

Reinstall the operating system as advised above, get an ssd HD

Things will get worse if you don't do something about it. I used to do a clean install 2 or 3 times a year until I bought some imaging software which if I need a fresh fast OS only takes a few mins instead of 30 mins or so.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    henm2 wrote: »
    Just install LXLE http://lxle.net/ care-go for the 32 bit version
    works great on old computers

Indeed, henm2, and either LXLE or Linux Lite would work well with older specification equipment. These operating systems can be downloaded for free from their respective websites (guide here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=72555734&postcount=462) or the Linux trial and installation discs can be ordered from Ebay or Amazon for a couple of pounds only (compare that with the cost of a legitimate Microsoft operating system installation disc).
  • Options
    xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
  • Options
    henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member

If you use Zorin then it needs to be Zorin 9 lite for an old computer. Other ones to consider are Xubuntu, Peppermint and also Linux Mint xfce. I use Linux Mint 17 xfce on a netbook and it works very well much better than Windows 7.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henm2 wrote: »
    Just install LXLE http://lxle.net/ care-go for the 32 bit version
    works great on old computers
    I noticed on Distrowatch that LXLE is now hosted on Sourceforge but there seems to be no mention of this on the LXLE homepage :confused:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/
  • Options
    Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Am I missing something here?

xxtimbo has been told time and time again on this thread that his OS is borked (which is obvious to anyone that knows) and to sort that out but I haven't seen him acknowledge this once?

xxtimbo... just check youd HD and re-install XP... job done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, Ive pretty well made up my mind now, Im tired of the browsers
    crashing every 2 mins

Im going to go thru my desktop and put a few files onto my HD USB ...... the whole of my documents is already on there........

When I think everything of value is over on the HD usb

Ill go ahead and download .. prob Zorin 9 lite... and install it .

Ill then see how I go with Linux zorin and if things dont work out Ive got the option of buying a new desktop comp with the latest windows operating system.

So far as I can see... the biggest loss for me on linux is not being able to use photoshop !

but then theres always Gimp !

There must be someone on DS who has done this changeover from xp ... surely ?

Maybe he can tell us how it went
    ( and perhaps warn of the pitfalls and downside )
  • Options
    max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member

Ill go ahead and download .. prob Zorin 9 lite... and install it .

You run Linux from the disk first. If it all works well and you're happy with it, you can then install it properly. As you've also mentioned the machine is blue screening, there's a good chance you have a hardware issue, so even more reason to test Linux first before installing it.
    There must be someone on DS who has done this changeover from xp ... surely ?)

Two people from this very thread:
    Once support for XP ended earlier on this year, I switched my laptop's operating system over to LXLE Linux and Firefox has been perfectly stable for me since the switch over.
    Running LXLE here on an old XP machine ... it's superb :)

OP, you really need to read people's replies, otherwise everyone is just wasting their time.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There must be someone on DS who has done this changeover from xp ... surely ?

Maybe he can tell us how it went
    ( and perhaps warn of the pitfalls and downside )

Using Cinnamon Mint on one of my PC. Its close enough to Windows that getting used to it was reasonably easy. Slight different in that you get mount points instead of drive letters but GUI is fairly intuitive. Picked up all hardware in my PC except my colour laser printer doesn't work and neither did my webcam. There is supposed to be a work around for the printer using CUPS but I couldn't get it to work.

It's pretty quick and most of my time is spent online, chrome works fine as does LibreOffice. Aside from that there are linux ports for VLC and XBMC though that is some of the fun starts with regarding to versioning and compatibility. Most software has some equivalent in linux though quite often just not as polished.

I won't lie to you, you do need to be more technical. There is plenty of help out there but even things like finding the right version can be a pain as not linux are the same. Mint is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS which is one of the more popular distributions. So as long as the app is compatible with that, it should work OK.

Good news is that you can try all this out using USB memory stick to boot from. Not sure about USB harddrive, might be support from your PC to support that ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you can try it out by burning a dvd and running it
    from that
    but Im so fed up now with xp Im prepared to just go for it and
    install .... maybe mint... ?

there ll be no going back but ... wot the hell !
  • Options
    Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,900
    Forum Member
    Im going to go thru my desktop and put a few files onto my HD USB ...... the whole of my documents is already on there........

All your documents/files on just one device? Hope you've got another copy somewhere just in case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you can try it out by burning a dvd and running it
    from that
    but Im so fed up now with xp Im prepared to just go for it and
    install .... maybe mint... ?

there ll be no going back but ... wot the hell !
    Personally I recommend testing your Linux distros using a usb stick first.
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    makes me wonder though.... Ive got a lot of info
    written in windows notepad....

will that open in linux ????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes it will.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Yes, there are Linux equivalent of Notepad such as Gedit that will read plain text files perfectly well and Libre Office Writer will have no problem in reading Microsoft Word files in .doc or .docx format.

Tbh, perhaps the easiest way of trying out Linux Lite or LXLE would be to buy a relatively cheap DVD disc or USB stick with these operating systems installed. Some examples are below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LINUX-LITE-2-0-Operating-System-32-OR-64-bit-CD-Libre-Office-Gimp-Firefox-/261513576444?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item3ce36c7ffc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LXLE-12-04-4-Live-Install-DVD-32-Bit-Linux-Operating-System/161439083856?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25400%26meid%3D3e9178c691444fe287af26eb7b95b758%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D10670%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D161428059271

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LXLE-12-04-4-32-Bit-Linux-on-a-Stick-Superfast-USB-3-0-8GB-Flash-Drive/161428059271?_trksid=p2054897.c100204.m3164&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140407115239%26meid%3Dffda499f751f4aecb5af6793dee221d7%26pid%3D100204%26prg%3D20140407115239%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D20%26sd%3D161427987756

I have assumed above that, given the age of your equipment, you've probably got a 32-bit computer set up but if the event you have a 64 bit system (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsxp/ht/windows-xp-32-bit-64-bit.htm) so buy the relevant discs accordingly. Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im on Home edition xp so that will definitely be

32 bit
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I'm running XP Professional on a 9 year old Dell Dimension 3000 accessing the internet up until recently using the Windows 8 Browser.

The only websites I had access problems with was the popular Daily Mail Online (the world's most visited website, I understand) and Digital Spy. Access speed on both was like trying to do the breaststroke in a swimming pool full of porridge. In other word, everything happened in very very slow time.

As I rely on Comodo for my firewall and virus protection I thought I try the Comodo Dragon browser. The results were impressive...full page loads on Daily Mail Online are now instantaneous and a faster performance on Digital Spy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tHINGS have been quite calm for me over the last 2 weeks or so

f fox used to be crashing every five mins..... now it seems very stable.

I go to turn of comp everynight and hit ....... standby ....
    instead of ... turn off.... maybe thats something to do with it.

Im on BT now instead of talk talk

Things were getting so bad I was on the verge of switching over to linux
    but things are suddenly ok .. I might as well keep rolling with xp
    for the time being .
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I'm running XP Professional on a 9 year old Dell Dimension 3000 accessing the internet up until recently using the Windows 8 Browser.

What's the 'Windows 8 browser'? Do you mean IE8?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

I refer you to my post in Dunroamin's thread. FFS. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »

Windows Internet Explorer 8.....

The Windows 8 Browser

as opposed to the Windows 8 Browser
  • Options
    Forum Member
    shhftw wrote: »
    I refer you to my post in Dunroamin's thread. FFS. :(

I was recent asked by a computer novice to take a look at their laptop.

"What's wrong with it", I asked

"Please delete Google" was the reply

:o:o:o