Death Proof - Anyone else this this is Tarantino's most underrrated work?

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
Being a fan of Tarantino, I was surprised to come across one of his movies that I'd never heard of, Death Proof, and watched it on Netflix.

Having done some reading up on it, it seems there was little love for this movie and some of the reviews were terrible.. but I thought it was great. Slow to start but all leading to one of the most exhilarating film finales I have ever seen.

Any more love for this movie?

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a fan of Mr Tarantino but i came across this film on netflix last year and enjoyed every minute of it. I remember when it was first released, it wasn't well liked.
  • BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Hated Death Proof as it was just some women sitting about talking for most of the runtime. Much preferred Planet Terror as that was done tongue in cheek & didn't try to be so serious.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred Death Proof to Planet Terror, but I did think it highlighted the difficulties Tarantino has creating female characters.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Death Proof suffered badly because the Weinstein's mucked about with it too much. Grindhouse bombed big time in the States, and despite assurances that Europe would still get it un-split, that's exactly what happened, which created a lot of negativity towards the individual films.

Death Proof, as the stand-alone film we eventually got, isn't too bad, but I think it suffered from a) having to be extended to make it feature length and b) not having the benefit of the promised trailers and quick-cut, fast-paced style of film we were expecting. Having said that, the first half is great - it's sexy, violent and gory, even if it doesn't go actually go anywhere with it. It's the second half, where the style changes even more jarringly than From Dusk To Dawn to a straight-up revenge seeking 90's action flick that lets it down IMO. No problem with the idea, I'd have just have preferred that it remained as a 70's 'chicksploitation' movie a la Russ Meyers or Roger Corman or something.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanziBaby wrote: »
    Hated Death Proof as it was just some women sitting about talking for most of the runtime. Much preferred Planet Terror as that was done tongue in cheek & didn't try to be so serious.

This.
    Quentin " I can write great dialogue for chicks, me " Tarantino.
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,927
    Forum Member
    It is his film which has the most flaws, but has some decent scenes here and there. It's not the disaster many reviewers were implying at the time - it's just rather misjudged.

Which is strange for Tarantino since he normally gets his films to feel right, even if the subject matter is hard to swallow. Quite an interesting oddity, but feels like it's just Quentin lazily mucking around.

Django and Inglorious are very decent though so he seemed to gee himself up a bit after Death Proof.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say what you want. It has the best car chase in the last ten years....
  • Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Being a fan of Tarantino, I was surprised to come across one of his movies that I'd never heard of, Death Proof, and watched it on Netflix.

Having done some reading up on it, it seems there was little love for this movie and some of the reviews were terrible.. but I thought it was great. Slow to start but all leading to one of the most exhilarating film finales I have ever seen.

Any more love for this movie?

Love that movie ! Bought it on DVD for £2.99 + free p&p :)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BORED ME really, rather would have seen the shorter version in the GRINDHOUSE release
    ironically LOVED planet terror, and wanted it LONGER!
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Loved Planet Terror. Found Death Proof a bit...meh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's garbage from start to finish. I remember when I got the script to read before the movie came out (friends in low places) and I thought this looks like it has been written by someone who wanted to write like Tarantino. Thankfully a lot of the 'girl talk' was cut from the script.

No likeable characters at all.
  • intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Yeah, the script was absolutely awful. Thankfully Tarantino returned to form with Inglourious and Django.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,268
    Forum Member
    No. The most underrated is the basically now forgotten Jackie Brown.