Does your town still have a launderette?

Deaf LeppardDeaf Leppard Posts: 2,682
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A dying breed. The last time I used one was 1995 on my wu home from school with my sisters. Was pouring with rain, so we put our coats in one of the huge driers to make them cosy and warm for the second half of the walk home.

Most people surely own their own machine now? My errand each week used to be to cart the washing down in 2 bin bags and sit whilst it washed and dried. My payment? A refresher chew bar and other assorted sweets with any 20p pieces left over!!

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are two launderettes within a mile. Mind you there are plenty of rented houses around here and it's not compulsory for a landlord to provide a washing machine.

Haven't used one in years though. The first place I rented didn't have a washing machine and I was too tight to buy one for myself.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there might be one somewhere, but I've never used it, nor am ever likely to.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Sat Nav says they are just one down ST Osyth Road Wash & Tumble Laundrette I thought there were more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see as many of them as I used to, but they're still around & I hope they're around for years to come. Years ago I used to go to one on a Sunday morning & read the papers while my washing was being done - it was like a little meeting-place: the regulars would get to know each other, help out with folding sheets etc.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed the ads at the top and bottom of this page for washing machines??

Spooky...
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There use to be about three around here, but there's only one now. It's always pretty busy when you pass it though. I think they still get a lot of business in areas where there are a lot of students living. I don't think student houses tend to have washing machines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they still get a lot of business in areas where there are a lot of students living. I don't think student houses tend to have washing machines.
    Same applies where there are tourists (independent travellers, hikers etc) or higher numbers of short-term workers. Some guys working with my OH are only going to be there a couple of months. They're renting really cheaply, so their rooms are very basic - bed, chair, a bit of storage, kettle and a two-ring stove. They're happy with that, as they're not in most of the day anyway and don't see the point in spending money on facilities they won't make use of.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect laundering down the arcade, I think there's a launderette still too though :p:D
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one i knew of in this are is now, no more!..... they were handy for washing your quilt in as the machines were that bit bigger and so you could get your quilt in!.....sadly now i find i am having to buy a new one where i would have popped to the launderette years ago and washed it....:cool:
  • JazzyPJazzyP Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One right near me, the missus gets our duvet done there.
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A dying breed. The last time I used one was 1995 on my wu home from school with my sisters......

Epic typo by the way!!!!!
  • pinot_noirpinot_noir Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are two in my town. Quite a bit of our housing stock is small terraced houses, many of which have the old scullery as a small galley kitchen and there isn't really room for a washing machine.
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a friendly local one down here in Walford. Mrs Branning can get any stains out of anything :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    There's one a few minutes from my house. They advertise washing football kits and horse blankets which puts me off! When my son comes home for the weekend from the Navy with his kit bag crammed full of dirty washing I spend all weekend washing, drying and ironing. Think it would be easier if I dropped it all off at the launderette for a service wash,
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rose Budd wrote: »
    We have a friendly local one down here in Walford. Mrs Branning can get any stains out of anything :p

Even Phil Mitchell's crack stains?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it's a 20 mile trip into the nearest city - if the one I saw there years ago still exists!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Has anyone else noticed the ads at the top and bottom of this page for washing machines??

Spooky...
    Ive noticed similar spooky stuff. Like i was looking at halfords car radios and since then halfords adverts in abundance here.
    Are you with virgin?
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is one just down the road. Never used one in this country though.
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There used to be at least 3 that I can remember but I don't think there are any now. It would be useful to still have one so I could wash my duvet instead of attempting to wash it in the bath!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    Yes there's one 5 mins away from me, I've never used them but it's quite popular.
  • GabbitasGabbitas Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    There are 2 within 5 minutes' walk of here. Both seem to attract a lot of business.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    There's one where my local shops are and there's one in the town centre. I think they are the only ones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well there's one near us, and it only opened a year ago ...
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 within walking distance and another two a short drive or bus ride away. Always do my duvets and blankets every few months and the washing machines are bigger for that.
  • McLovin85McLovin85 Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're coming back and are all the rage.

People in this day & age are using them simply for the service wash, making it one less chore for the busy/lazy person.

I take my clothes down, they get wash, dried and folded up. It isn't really that expensive either.