Hello Ireland - the UK is NOT just England!

Comments

• woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I think the government down in London (in England) gets to decide what happens in the whole of Britain.

This. The UK government has the kind of power over its constituent nations that the EU could only dream of having over its member states - and look at how up in arms people get about the EU!
  • kalikali Posts: 10,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The border accents are intermixable between NI and Eire ....

The use of "Éire" annoys some people. It is the Irish language version of Ireland and is like saying "I had a lovely week end in Deutschland or I'm going to Espana for a week .

Rabid Republicans don't like "Brits" using the Irish version of it because they spent hundreds of years trying to wipe it out as our national language :confused:

Our cultures are so alike in ways and worlds apart in others :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kali wrote: »
    The use of "Éire" annoys some people. It is the Irish language version of Ireland and is like saying "I had a lovely week end in Deutschland or I'm going to Espana for a week .
    Rabid Republicans don't like "Brits" using the Irish version of it because they spent hundreds of years trying to wipe it out as our national language :confused:
    Y viva to that
    (I'm sorry I even know that song :o)
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Kali, made me lol..;) but you're right.
  • JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The use of "Éire" annoys some people. It is the Irish language version of Ireland and is like saying "I had a lovely week end in Deutschland or I'm going to Espana for a week.

I've never understood why we don't do that anyway.

I mean, if the German people say it's called Deutschland then that's what it's called surely. Why do we need another name for it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    rorybb wrote: »
    People from Northern Ireland can have an irish passport instead of a british one
    Correct, i,m from Northern Ireland and consider myself Irish I only hold an irish passport although my OH holds both,a british and an Irish passport, my children all have irish passports. Although you can choose to have both.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »

I mean, if the German people say it's called Deutschland then that's what it's called surely. Why do we need another name for it?

I suspect German people would rather hear it called 'Germany' by foreigners.

'Eire' is definitely incorrect for the Republic of Ireland. It's the official Irish language name of the state, but even Irish people don't use it in conversation.
  • LaneyhLaneyh Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D***** wrote: »
    Does anyone realise this is 5 pages long and there is no mention of what she said so other forum members can join in?

I have asked twice and have been ignored.

This is poor form :mad: :(

Emma asked her how she felt when she thought the public had been voting her out.
    She said she wasn't surprised as she's not known in England but that she was also a little upset.
    She has a strong affinitty with England and really likes it so
    was upset that the people of England actually went to the trouble of picking up the phone to vote.

'twas a bit thoughtless or silly of her
    Especially as both housemates and fans of the show would refer to Britain, the British, the GBP

Once they had discussed this they spoke about it really being the cult that had put her up for eviction and they showed her the video clip of the cult choosing her.

After seeing that she let slip that Sophie had free work done at her clinic which was a much bigger gaffe in my eyes.

She strikes me as the type that thinks Dublin = Ireland
    so I wouldn't take it too much to heart
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tq21 wrote: »
    I think but I could be wrong, in Ireland it depends on where you live & what school you go to as to what sport you follow, I am from South Dublin, went to a private school, Rugby is my first sport, when I lived in Dublin we all had season tickets for Leinster, next is Dublin for Gaelic & as I have family from Kilkenny, then it's Kilkenny for Hurling. Danielle has a D4 accent so I can imagine she was more of rugby fan.

Chances are she's not really a sports fan at all but she sounds like she is from posh part of South Dublin
    So, yes where she lives rugby would probably be the sport with the most overt support.

If Ireland were doing well in anything though most people would support it
    I doubt there were too many fans of women's boxing before the Olympics
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose it has to do with different languages.

eg.We have our own words for the Uk etc in Irish .

Oileáin Bhriotanacha = British Isles

Bhreatain Mhór = Great Britain

An Ríocht Aóntaithe = United Kingdom
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laneyh wrote: »
    Emma asked her how she felt when she thought the public had been voting her out.
    She said she wasn't surprised as she's not known in England but that she was also a little upset.
    She has a strong affinitty with England and really likes it so
    was upset that the people of England actually went to the trouble of picking up the phone to vote.

'twas a bit thoughtless or silly of her
    Especially as both housemates and fans of the show would refer to Britain, the British, the GBP

Once they had discussed this they spoke about it really being the cult that had put her up for eviction and they showed her the video clip of the cult choosing her.

After seeing that she let slip that Sophie had free work done at her clinic which was a much bigger gaffe in my eyes.

Thank you very much I appreciate that post Laneyh :):):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kali, made me lol..;) but you're right.

lol. It's all so complicated sometimes, a mine field !! :p

I tried to explain some differences in some of the some of the things Hazel said but I don't people understood (some wilfully ?) that we do have differences even in using the same language.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think she made a huge mistake for her business saying that about Sophie.

Lots like her think there is no life outside the Pale :p
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lol. It's all so complicated sometimes, a mine field !! :p

I tried to explain some differences in some of the some of the things Hazel said but I don't people understood (some wilfully ?) that we do have differences even in using the same language.

I was listening to two top Irish television producers yesterday on the radio, and they were saying that there are definite cultural differences between Ireland and the UK : programmes that might work on Irish TV may not work on British TV and vice versa. It's certainly not the case that Ireland is just another region of the UK in disguise.
  • tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is not the first time she has said it, there is promotional material on the web for her 'clinic' that shows Sophie & Stacey Solomon as clients Advert for DermaFace

In saying that she was on a real housewives type of show in Dublin, and in her set, she's probably a big fish in a rather small pond, often when those type of people move into a larger pond they can't make the transition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eg.We have our own words for the Uk etc in Irish .

Oileáin Bhriotanacha = British Isles

Bhreatain Mhór = Great Britain

An Ríocht Aóntaithe = United Kingdom

That makes more sense because 'Isles', 'Great', 'United' and 'Kingdom' are words in and of themselves......and 'Bhreatain' is close enough I suppose.

But 'Japan' isn't a word. Why don't we call it Nippon or Nihon like Japanese people do? Where did the word 'Japan' come from?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, that was very poor judgement on her part.
    She is obviously very ambitious and seems to want to work in telly in 'England' ;)
    The fact that she changed her surname so that it would be easier to pronounce / understand says a lot.

Breaking client confidentiality is a major error though
    It makes no difference if Sophie didn't pay for the treatment

We had all figured out that's how they met / knew each other anyway but for Danielle to actually 'out' Sophie was a dumb move
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes more sense because 'Isles', 'Great', 'United' and 'Kingdom' are words in and of themselves......and 'Bhreatain' is close enough I suppose.

But 'Japan' isn't a word. Why don't we call it Nippon or Nihon like Japanese people do? Where did the word 'Japan' come from?

Because Nippon is the Japanese word for Japan, I think the derogatory word for Japanese people used during WWII (Nips) is derived from Nippon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that was very poor judgement on her part.
    She is obviously very ambitious and seems to want to work in telly in 'England' ;)
    The fact that she changed her surname so that it would be easier to pronounce / understand says a lot.

Breaking client confidentiality is a major error though
    It makes no difference if Sophie didn't pay for the treatment

We had all figured out that's how they met / knew each other anyway but for Danielle to actually 'out' Sophie was a dumb move

She didn't out her last night though, she outed her whenever she released promotional material for her clinic with Sophie's face on it. Sophie would have agreed to that in exchange for the free work, it's like any celebrity who for example uses lighter life to lose weight & then their picture and 'success story' is posted on lighter life's website.
  • D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was in England. She has an affinity for England so was directly addressing this by saying she was sorry English voters had voted for her.

She said nothing about the rest of the United Kingdom, presumably because she doesn't have an affinity for anywhere else in the UK.

It doesn't mean she doesn't know what Britain or the UK means... England is a country in its own right after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not the first time she has said it, there is promotional material on the web for her 'clinic' that shows Sophie & Stacey Solomon as clients Advert for DermaFace

In saying that she was on a real housewives type of show in Dublin, and in her set, she's probably a big fish in a rather small pond, often when those type of people move into a larger pond they can't make the transition.

Ah didn't realise that, I still think it didn't reflect well on her how she said it but I guess she was genuinely insulted at being nominated by Sophie

She doesn't have too much going for her if she wants to break into show business. However, props to her agent or whoever got her the CBB gig
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Nippon is the Japanese word for Japan...

How can you have a foreign word for a proper noun?

They wouldn't call me JuanDoe in Spain or IvanDoe in Russia.

My name is JonDoe whatever country I'm in. I'd have thought the same applied to all proper nouns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah didn't realise that, I still think it didn't reflect well on her how she said it but I guess she was genuinely insulted at being nominated by Sophie

She doesn't have too much going for her if she wants to break into show business. However, props to her agent or whoever got her the CBB gig

I think there is a new TV exec at C5 who used to work for TV3 in Ireland (the channel her show was on) who got her the gig.
    It is believed former TV3 boss Ben Frow, who has since taken control at Channel 5, was instrumental in convincing ‘Big Brother’ producers to give the Trinity graduate a place on the show.

That was taken from this article in the Irish Independent Newspaper
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BRITAIN = England + Wales
    GREAT BRITAIN = England + Wales + Scotland
    UNITED KINGDOM = England + Wales + Scotland + Northern Ireland

Thus we then have our collective identity which is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

New poster, I see! Welcome to the forum, Comfy Chair. :)
    Sorry to start off on a note of disagreement, but there is no such thing as Britain = England and Wales.

Britain is shorthand, colloquial usage for either the UK or for Great Britain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can you have a foreign word for a proper noun?

They wouldn't call me JuanDoe in Spain or IvanDoe in Russia.

My name is JonDoe whatever country I'm in. I'd have thought the same applied to all proper nouns.

As someone above pointed out we call Spain Spain but the spanish refer to it in spanish as Espana. We call Russia Russia but in Russian it is Россия. Like if my name was John Murphy in Irish that would be Seán Ó Murchú.