Will wigans Europa league campaign be fatal to their promotion hopes

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
First of many championship midweek games this week not for Wigan of course due to the Europa league involvement.

Looks like they will have to rearrange about three to four midweek games before Xmas.

Coupled with the poor start its not going to be an easy season.

This doesn't include if they get beyond the group stages where they would be even more games to rearrange.

I can't see them getting our the group as I don't think they will be good enough, but if they don't it may be a blessing anyway

Comments

• alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, its the question on everyones lips.

Yes, I think it will have an impact.

I wonder if Newport and Mansfields bids for back to back promotion could be impacted by their entry into the JPT.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen Coyle will, got a fantastic squad at Championship level yet their performance on Saturday was appalling for the quality they have.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Owen Coyle talks a good game but that's about it. Bog standard gaffer who won't take them back to the next level. I think people will realise Martinez's genius after this season.

On a side note, they take on Zulte Waregem, whose no.10 and star player is Thorghan Hazard, Eden's little brother. I wouldn't underestimate them since they finished a miraculous second (losing out on the title on the last day) in a tough belgian league (4-5 teams seperated by very few points and who play each other in play offs at the end of the season). Waregem is a tiny town in West Flanders taking on Anderlecht, Standard Liege and Club Brugge. To put into perspective, its the equivalent of a team from Wigan winning the...oh wait.

Point is, doesn't matter if it ''affects'' your league form. For these two sides and their small fanbases (which is nothing to be ashamed of, unless you build a stadium too big for it...oh wait..), its a real big deal to play in the Europa League. Maybe the owners don't give a shit, nor us supporters of big clubs, but the fans will hopefully enjoy the experience, and I wish them all the best.
  • HarryNelson1805HarryNelson1805 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    What promotion hopes?? Owen Coyle has already decided there is no point in having the best midfield in the league, plays them all out of position but that doesnt matter anway because he bypasses it constantly thus turning us into an ageing back four with a fat forward up top. That is why we have started so badly. Rant over.

We're loving the Europa league and are taking 2500 fans to Belgium on Thursday which is an awesome turn out, around 20% of our actual fan base!! This is what football is all about, we'll get promoted/relegated in the future many times, as do most clubs, but will be lucky to ever play in Europe again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's bound to have an impact. Championship is a difficult league and it's not hard to fall into a slump. Look at Bolton. Widely tipped to be a top six side and they have not won any of their opening games.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,849
    Forum Member
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Owen Coyle will, got a fantastic squad at Championship level yet their performance on Saturday was appalling for the quality they have.

Agreed, they looked awful on the highlights. Wolves proved last season that having a great squad means nothing in the Championship.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    If I was a Wigan fan, I wouldn't be that bothered if it did. Might be a romantic/unrealistic opinion, but there never gonna get another go at Europe so it would be good to see them give it a proper go even if it harms their promotion hopes.
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What promotion hopes?? Owen Coyle has already decided there is no point in having the best midfield in the league, plays them all out of position but that doesnt matter anway because he bypasses it constantly thus turning us into an ageing back four with a fat forward up top. That is why we have started so badly. Rant over.

We're loving the Europa league and are taking 2500 fans to Belgium on Thursday which is an awesome turn out, around 20% of our actual fan base!! This is what football is all about, we'll get promoted/relegated in the future many times, as do most clubs, but will be lucky to ever play in Europe again.

Can see your frustration, you miss Grant Holt no doubt, you have skill in Gomez, Maloney and McManaman, backed up by Watson and Perch with McClean, that's a strong starting point for second tier side.

I hope you embrace the Europa League, take thousands away and almost fill the DW. It's a one-off and well worth enjoying :cool:
  • AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen Coyle talks a good game but that's about it. Bog standard gaffer who won't take them back to the next level. I think people will realise Martinez's genius after this season.

On a side note, they take on Zulte Waregem, whose no.10 and star player is Thorgan Hazard, Eden's little brother. I wouldn't underestimate them since they finished a miraculous second (losing out on the title on the last day) in a tough belgian league (4-5 teams seperated by very few points and who play each other in play offs at the end of the season). Waregem is a tiny town in West Flanders taking on Anderlecht, Standard Liege and Club Brugge. To put into perspective, its the equivalent of a team from Wigan winning the...oh wait.

Point is, doesn't matter if it ''affects'' your league form. For these two sides and their small fanbases (which is nothing to be ashamed of, unless you build a stadium too big for it...oh wait..), its a real big deal to play in the Europa League. Maybe the owners don't give a shit, nor us supporters of big clubs, but the fans will hopefully enjoy the experience, and I wish them all the best.

I previewed the game here:

http://www.benefoot.net/zulte-waregem-wigan-preview-europa-league/
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    I hope so

I never want to see Wigan in the Prem again
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope so

Boo hoo Barry !!!
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like Birmingham a couple of years ago, Wigan have no chance of promotion
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,875
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Like Birmingham a couple of years ago, Wigan have no chance of promotion

Birmingham did quite well then getting to the play-offs which they haven't got near since.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always had the feeling that once Wigan did eventually go down. they wouldn't be going back up for a long time.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Owen Coyle talks a good game but that's about it.

So how did he get Burnley into the Prem then? I don't see anyone else doing that in the near future.
  • TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    AZ fan wrote: »

I read your articles a lot mate, I'm a big follower of Belgian football as I lived in Brussels for years (Standard Liege fan though :p). You're the only english speaking website I can find that does articles on belgian football.

Why are you an AZ fan though? Hmm...
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Birmingham did quite well then getting to the play-offs which they haven't got near since.

Good point, but without the Europa League Birmingham could have challenged for atomatc promotion with Reading, Southampton and West Ham
    Forum Member
    I hope so

Nor me. Not until that liar Whelan goes anyway.
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Standard looks really average in the Championship thus far. I suspect it will be possible/feasible for any team that's off the pace at xmas to still pull their finger out and shoot up the table and finish in top 6. Didn't Hull lose about 15 games and have a very mediocre goal difference last term? Wigan seem to have a lot of good players so I wouldn't write them off just yet.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering, if Wigan have a midweek league game on the same week as a Europa League match, couldn't that be switched to Monday to avoid a fixture backlog?
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The crowd looked tiny in their EL game the other night.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just wondering, if Wigan have a midweek league game on the same week as a Europa League match, couldn't that be switched to Monday to avoid a fixture backlog?

And would the Saturday game have to be switched to the Friday then as well?

With regards to the overall question, its not certain Wigan would go up if they were not in the Europa League.
    Forum Member
    Armi wrote: »
    The crowd looked tiny in their EL game the other night.

Without the huge amount of away fans they got most games in the PL their crowd always looks tiny.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I saw that as well with Wigan last week.

It looked like they were playing a reserve game.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They still have a chance of getting to the next stage of the Europa League thanks to thier win in their last game at home in that competition, so I wish them luck in both the Europa League and the Championship.

The more games that Powell gets, the better for them, us, and the England national side, which he shall soon grace I believe.