Options

Ebola virus spreading

Comments

• Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Person in Wales being monitored for Ebola, just broke on the BEEB.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Person in Wales being monitored for Ebola, just broke on the BEEB.

The website says they have no symptoms but was worried they were exposed to it. So is quarantining themselves just in case.

Could be something, might just be a hypochondriac. Or just a concerned citizen not taking any chances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28663504
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't have been that concerned if they flew back normally, coming into contact with umpteen people.
  • Options
    HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BA have announced they are cancelling all flights to/from Liberia and Sierra Leone until 31st August. Source BBC, unable to post link on my phone.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    BA have announced they are cancelling all flights to/from Liberia and Sierra Leone until 31st August. Source BBC, unable to post link on my phone.

About time too. The same should apply to sea ports and boats as well.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All flights to and from those countries should be cancelled. The woman who died at Gatwick was on Gambia Airlines, just that name fills me with confidence.[sarcasm]
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet they haven't found the Commonwealth Games runaways who were scared of returning to their country because of the virus.;-)
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should get stopped in its tracks before it spreads anywhere here, Reminds me of a bug sometimes in Butlins where you can't go anywhere once you get it.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    They are talking about this on my local radio station this morning. Seem to be saying that a vaccine has not developed so far because of hard economics, i.e. a lot of money for a relatively small number of affected people so far. And a lack of political will to find a way around this.

The large pharmaceutical companies have not been working on this because there is no money to be made. There has been to little infected to make a profit and no government has contracted them out to find one. However, I know universities here in the states have been searching for a cure but have been unable to find one.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WHO were insane not getting better isolation units in places weeks ago. They have the money they have the planes to transport the units there. When you see the current facilities its no wonder this thing has spread. The Burial rights might be important but why did it take so long for local governments to inform people the dangers of touching the bodies of people killed by this Virus. MSF said almost two months ago more action was needed those calls were totally ignored
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should get stopped in its tracks before it spreads anywhere here, Reminds me of a bug sometimes in Butlins where you can't go anywhere once you get it.
    the jelly leggy virus?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Between 31 July and 1 August 2014, a total of 163 new cases of Ebola virus disease (EVD; laboratory-confirmed, probable, and suspect cases) as well as 61 deaths were reported from Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone. Three of these cases are in Nigeria and include two new probable cases — one in a health-care worker and one in a Nigerian who travelled to Guinea — and suspected case in a nurse.

http://www.afro.who.int/en/clusters-a-programmes/dpc/epidemic-a-pandemic-alert-and-response/outbreak-news/4239-ebola-virus-disease-west-africa-4-august-2014.html

10% increase in two days.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    When something like this happens, borders with the countries that have the outbreak should be closed, and all air traffic to and from the affected areas suspended. Had they done that efficiently and on time, I doubt we would have this problem now. The main issue of the governments in Africa is that they are so inept. I understand the whole region is rather poor and that they can't afford many things, but how much money is needed to close the borders in the wake of the deadly disease?
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    When something like this happens, borders with the countries that have the outbreak should be closed, and all air traffic to and from the affected areas suspended. Had they done that efficiently and on time, I doubt we would have this problem now. The main issue of the governments in Africa is that they are so inept. I understand the whole region is rather poor and that they can't afford many things, but how much money is needed to close the borders in the wake of the deadly disease?

What kind of border control do these countries have though? I am imagining there really is no border distinction between these countries like we have in westernized countries. I am sure people freely move between countries without so much as seeing a border guard. They could send in some type of troops but I bet these borders would be extremely hard to police due to the jungles.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First death from Ebola (if confirmed) outside of Africa:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-28673380

Seems he started showing symptoms after returning from a business trip to Sierre Leone.

Wonder if they will try to trace other passengers on the same flight.
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »

Seems he started showing symptoms after returning from a business trip to Sierre Leone.

Why can't every county on Earth just ban travel to other countries for 6 weeks.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Why can't every county on Earth just ban travel to other countries for 6 weeks.

What no goods no food and lots of other things not coming and going into other countries, you would find your supermarket with empty with in a few days as panic buying sets in. Alot of milk you drink comes does not come from the uk
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find interesting is how we try to convince ourselves there is no vaccine for any reason other than financial influence. So long as the problem remains in Africa the pharmaceutical giants simply aren't interested

Tim highlights an excellent point regarding the UK's imports

The real problem is the longer it takes to contain the outbreak, the closer we get to winter and cold/flu season (which also have respitory symptoms) and our health service is under strain as it is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    nobodyhere wrote: »
    What I find interesting is how we try to convince ourselves there is no vaccine for any reason other than financial influence. So long as the problem remains in Africa the pharmaceutical giants simply aren't interested

Ebola is a very rare disease, in total around 2000 people have died from it.
    Tim highlights an excellent point regarding the UK's imports

The real problem is the longer it takes to contain the outbreak, the closer we get to winter and cold/flu season (which also have respitory symptoms) and our health service is under strain as it is.

Since the virus can survive outside the body for several days, banning imports of food and goods from West Africa might not be such a bad idea.

SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days. Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4°C for several days, and indefinitely stable at -70°C. Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilisation (freeze-drying).

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/psds-ftss/ebola-eng.php
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain now, Priest with its been flown back to Madrid.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

Regarding Ebola the Foreign Sec Philip Hammond is 'Considering' extra precautions,
    with the comforting news that (the replacement of) what was known as the UK Border Agency until sacked for gross incompetence - will be 'looking out' for possible suspects. So thats alright then.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an idea: Lockdown infected countries, ban travel in and out of the areas where they have it, there is no excuse for living in dirty conditions that spread diseases, force them to be educated about hygeine, some of the affected people don't trust soap because its imported. How else can we protect the rest of the world when even the doctors are getting infected wearing protective suits? What chance do the rest of us have if it spreads.

Yes, because all these people elect to live in poverty without running water, flushing toilets or any of the basics that you take for granted. Have you any comprehension of the conditions that billions of people have no choice but to endure. Here in the UK we are lucky enough to live in luxury that most of the inhabitants of such countries can only dream of - and you have the temerity to write that there are no excuses as though it's their ****ing choice!!

I suggest that you visit somewhere and see what it's like with your own eyes and then hang your head in shame at your callous and selfish opinions.
  • Options
    ati_qtimportaati_qtimporta Posts: 165
    Forum Member

Here you have a picture:
    http://www.abc.es/Media/201408/07/camilla-ebola-ok--644x362.JPG
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »

With the Hajj coming up in October, things have the very real possibility of starting to get very nasty very quick. Time to move to Madagascar methinks.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got an idea: Lockdown infected countries, ban travel in and out of the areas where they have it, there is no excuse for living in dirty conditions that spread diseases, force them to be educated about hygeine, some of the affected people don't trust soap because its imported. How else can we protect the rest of the world when even the doctors are getting infected wearing protective suits? What chance do the rest of us have if it spreads.

How about you take a peek at a map of Africa and look at the size of the countries. Yes, it would be possible to 'lockdown' the airports, trains, buses, etc ., but the actual borders run for many hundreds of miles and are basically just a line on a map - impossible to patrol.

As for 'dirty conditions', not everyone who lives in poverty does live in dirty conditions; many do keep their sparse living areas and their bodies quite clean despite the difficulties. However, many others do not have access to clean water or sanitation, nor do they have the money to buy luxuries such as soap, shampoo, disinfectant, etc. Nor do they have access to medical treatment. Plus you simply cannot 'force people to be educated' as some simply will not believe what is being said especially if beliefs and customs run deep. It also takes a long time, an awful lot of money, and an awful lot of 'educators' to educate a whole population especially a widespread rural population.

In the west, most of us have access to clean running water, sanitation, electricity, medical services, washing machines, fridges, adequate clothing, a reasonably good diet; billions of people in this world have none of these things!