SPOTY 2014 Discussion Thread

Comments

• D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really would love to see Jo Pavey win it, what a story! I was incredibly proud last night watching her win that race.

To Hell with those driving cars, riding horses and hitting balls with sticks, that was a truly wonderful sporting moment!
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    I really would love to see Jo Pavey win it, what a story! I was incredibly proud last night watching her win that race.

To Hell with those driving cars, riding horses and hitting balls with sticks, that was a truly wonderful sporting moment!

Indeed it was but in the context of the opposition strength she wont.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,988
    Forum Member
    I think she would be a good contenders for the top 3/4 ATM.
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewis is now favourite to win the WDC now.

There's no way he could topple Rory could he?
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »

Could do, I think the final race is only about 3 weeks before the voting so it will be fresh in people's minds. Funnily enough I think he stands more of a chance of winning if it goes down to the wire rather than if he streaks away and wins the rest of the GPs.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wasn't Europe's outstanding player but 3 out of 5 points and being part of another winning Ryder Cup team must help McIlroy a bit.
  • The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    He wasn't Europe's outstanding player but 3 out of 5 points and being part of another winning Ryder Cup team must help McIlroy a bit.

Help out a bit yes but nailed on winner for me despite what he did this week. Hamiltons penchant for throwing his toys out the pram sort of turns me off him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone here think Rory will go down in time as Britains greatest sportsman ever? I mean he's young enough to win quite a few of these spoty's.

Apparantly Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Henry Cooper have the record for most wins with a meagre 2 each. LOL.

You could see Rory winning around 5-7 of these and totally p1ss that record miles clear of anyone else if of course he fulfils his potential and wins a colossal amount of majors (which I assume he will do).
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone here think Rory will go down in time as Britains greatest sportsman ever? I mean he's young enough to win quite a few of these spoty's.

Apparantly Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill and Henry Cooper have the record for most wins with a meagre 2 each. LOL.

You could see Rory winning around 5-7 of these and totally p1ss that record miles clear of anyone else if of course he fulfils his potential and wins a colossal amount of majors (which I assume he will do).

I really don't see anyone ever winning the award that many times regardless of how good they are or how popular they are. With something like SPOTY I think there is an element of sharing the award around a bit, illustrated as you point out by the fact that so few people have won the award more than once in 60 years.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I really don't see anyone ever winning the award that many times regardless of how good they are or how popular they are. With something like SPOTY I think there is an element of sharing the award around a bit, illustrated as you point out by the fact that so few people have won the award more than once in 60 years.

Yeah, no one is ever going to win SPOTY 5-7 times, there are too many great sports men and woman. Often times too, the winners are people that win for big defining moments like olympic gold medalists olympic years, of the moment winners. as it were.

Certainly wouldn't be saying someone who has yet to win it even once is going to do so!
    Forum Member
    I guess the Ryder Cup team will win Team of the Year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I guess the Ryder Cup team will win Team of the Year?

They usually are every 2 years aren't they? :p
    Forum Member

Yes unless its an Olympic year!
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surprisingly not. Only twice since this century
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could Carl Frampton get a nomination? He's probably the most popular boxer in the country right now.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Could Carl Frampton get a nomination? He's probably the most popular boxer in the country right now.

I'd be surprised, only boxer likely to get a nomination is Carl Froch. I think with the lack of boxing on terrestrial television it is going to be increasingly harder for boxers to get the recognition they deserve. The last boxer to make the top three was Joe Calzaghe in 2007.

BTW the panels for SPOTY and Young SPOTY have been announced, so if anybody wants to do any lobbying via social media then you know who to tweet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/29711556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised, only boxer likely to get a nomination is Carl Froch. I think with the lack of boxing on terrestrial television it is going to be increasingly harder for boxers to get the recognition they deserve. The last boxer to make the top three was Joe Calzaghe in 2007.

BTW the panels for SPOTY and Young SPOTY have been announced, so if anybody wants to do any lobbying via social media then you know who to tweet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/29711556

I think the 'not on terrestrial TV' excuse is very over used and totally inaccurate these days. There simply aren't the boxers stirring the public imagination like before. You mention 2007 when Joe Calzaghe won it, you don't mention that Ricky Hatton came 3rd that years too, so two in the top 3 but both big names. Before that you have to go back to 1999 to Lennox Lewis for a top 3 finisher. Even when TV boxing was at its zenith with Benn, Watson and Eubank, none of them got a look in. There aren't the great fighters around at the moment ( Froch aside ) that the public think are world class and worthy winners.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    As we're about a month from the nominations being announced I thought I'd put together a predicted list of the nominations -:
    Gareth Bale
    Mo Farah
    Claudia Fragapane
    Carl Froch
    Lewis Hamilton
    Paul McGinley (?)
    Rory McIlroy
    Jo Pavey
    Greg Rutherford
    Lizzie Yarnold
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laddergoat wrote: »
    As we're about a month from the nominations being announced I thought I'd put together a predicted list of the nominations -:
    Gareth Bale
    Mo Farah
    Claudia Fragapane
    Carl Froch
    Lewis Hamilton
    Paul McGinley (?)
    Rory McIlroy
    Jo Pavey
    Greg Rutherford
    Lizzie Yarnold

Swap McGinley for Johnny Wilkinson and/or Sam Burgess and you may be close
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Gareth Bale
    Mo Farah
    Claudia Fragapane
    Carl Froch
    Lewis Hamilton
    Paul McGinley (?)
    Rory McIlroy
    Jo Pavey
    Greg Rutherford
    Lizzie Yarnold
    Swap McGinley for Johnny Wilkinson and/or Sam Burgess and you may be close

Yep I'd be fairly sure Jonny will be nominated alright.

Two European titles on the bounce and an end to a tremendous career. There's always plenty of sentiment associated with these awards
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    The rugby nomination really should be Mike Brown though

Player of the 6 nations and a superb season for Quins
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a League fan I would love to see Sam Burgess make the 10. I am under no illusion he will go any further, but for a RL player to make the 10 is a huge achievement. He is ( or should I now say was ) regarded as the best player in the world. He won the Man of the Match in the NRL Grand Final despite breaking his cheekbone in the opening few minutes. Amazing player.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    As a League fan I would love to see Sam Burgess make the 10. I am under no illusion he will go any further, but for a RL player to make the 10 is a huge achievement. He is ( or should I now say was ) regarded as the best player in the world. He won the Man of the Match in the NRL Grand Final despite breaking his cheekbone in the opening few minutes. Amazing player.

Ah now you've reminded me of Sam Burgess, I do think now he'll probably be nominated for the main award. Just can't see Jonny Wilkinson being nominated, maybe he'll win Lifetime Achievement being England's World Cup winner the year before the RWC comes to England?
  • spindiddlyspindiddly Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to see Adam Peaty and/or Fran Halsall get nominated as they've both had fantastic years becoming Commonwealth & European champions, beating the best in the world to do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gareth Bale
    Mo Farah
    Claudia Fragapane
    Carl Froch
    Lewis Hamilton
    Paul McGinley (?)
    Rory McIlroy
    Jo Pavey
    Greg Rutherford
    Lizzie Yarnold

Call me picky but but should Froch really be nominated for beating the same guy he beat last year?

I'd forgotten all about Yarnold, perhaps Kelly Gallagher instead of Greg Rutherford.