Douglas Carswell MP Defects To UKIP

Comments

• Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect that byelection will be one of those that produces a higher than average vote plus there's be plenty of press coverage so local voters will certainly be aware that a byelection's going on.

Although he's taken a big risk, Carswell might actually pull this one off. As well a large increase in UKIP share of the vote, Carswell's the incumbent and that's usually worth a few thousand votes. Indeed, he's one of those MPs who actually got absolute majority support (< 50%) at the last general election.

The trouble is he will have to win the by-election on the policies of the party, other than evil EU and evil foreigners. The trouble with that is they have no credible policies. They have already back-pedalled on a flat tax, what next will they have to water down, to attract the mainstream voter. The other alternative is to revert back to the lunatic fringe policies they are better known for.
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realise that making up silly names for politicians makes you look a bit silly and does your credibility, as a political observer, no good at all.

Whereas the 'Daily Heil' is a work of intellectual genius, of course.
  • OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just who is Labour appealing to at the moment certainly not their traditional voter base methinks they are talking to the metropolitan elite,rather then the poor s-d who flogs himself to death on a production line.

IE They are talking to themselves.

Really well as a "poor sod who has flogged himself to death on a production line" for well over 40 years, I can assure you that they appeal far more to me than the Tories ever will, and Ukip are even worse than the Tories, some of the 'traditional Labour' voters who have deflected to Ukip might be in for a bit of a rude awakening when/if Ukip actually produce a manifesto, because in their previous one their proposals for the employment rights of workers, and for the welfare system, made the Tories appear like Marxists,

http://www.ier.org.uk/blog/ukip-workplace
    A bonfire of employment rights

They envision a radical transformation of the relationship between the employer and employee, virtually unregulated and free to respond to market forces. “UKIP would put an end to most legislation regarding matters such as weekly working hours, holidays … overtime, redundancy or sick pay etc. and provide a statutory, standard, very short employment contract template … those employers who offer relatively generous terms would be able to use this in their advertising and might be able to attract better candidates or pay slightly lower salaries, and the reverse would apply to employers who demand longer working hours, or offer fewer holidays or fewer days’ sick pay etc.”

UKIP also plan to reduce job security for employees. “UKIP would legislate to ensure the scope of claims which can be heard by tribunals will be greatly reduced. In particular, limits on unfair dismissal and discrimination claims will be re-instated and no unfair dismissals or discrimination claims would be admitted by the Tribunals in respect of employees with less than two years continuous employment.” These proposals would massively increase job insecurity for UK workers, encourage bad practices by line managers and damage workforce morale. This would in turn lead to a negative effect for the economy as a whole, as increasing numbers of workers experience insecure employment and low pay. Once consigned to this shadowy economy, they’d find themselves without many safety nets, as UKIP plans to simplify the welfare state by getting rid of all benefits and replacing it with a ‘Basic Cash Benefit’ of around £64 per week for parents aged 25 and above. Given Bloom’s view that massive redundancies in the public sector would not affect the economy, it is clear that a UKIP economy is comfortable with high levels of unemployment.

http://labourlist.org/2014/02/the-truth-about-ukip/
    Well, you may have heard of our “The Truth about UKIP” campaign, where we are telling a few home truths about what UKIP really stands for:

They want to abolish maternity leave in small firms.
    They want to scrap the European employment right to paid holidays and breaks in the working day.
    They believe those on permanent contracts should be paid less because they get greater employment protection.
    They want to introduce a flat tax rate – a tax cut for the richest, a tax rise for everyone else.

I know I know biased lefty propaganda and lies, hysteria, running scared etc etc, heard it ALL before,
    Except, one thing that is undeniable, is the fact that every time Farage is asked questions on any of these issues he laughs them off, shouts down the questioner, or changes the subject. I wonder WHY that might be?
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

LOL!!
  • MoxeyMoxey Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Labour supporter it would be so easy to just sit back and laugh at the Tories and UKIP at loggerheads - so that's my weekend sorted!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moxey wrote: »
    As a Labour supporter it would be so easy to just sit back and laugh at the Tories and UKIP at loggerheads - so that's my weekend sorted!

And Ed is in a wonderful state at the moment isn't he? Such a wide poll lead and great personal ratings. :D
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    The trouble is he will have to win the by-election on the policies of the party, other than evil EU and evil foreigners. The trouble with that is they have no credible policies. They have already back-pedalled on a flat tax, what next will they have to water down, to attract the mainstream voter. The other alternative is to revert back to the lunatic fringe policies they are better known for.

I get the impression that the voters are so brassed off with the 3 main lacklustre parties that they'd still vote for UKIP as a protest vote even if some of the more flaky policies remain in place for the time being.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Really well as a "poor sod who has flogged himself to death on a production line" for well over 40 years, I can assure you that they appeal far more to me than the Tories ever will, and Ukip are even worse than the Tories, some of the 'traditional Labour' voters who have deflected to Ukip might be in for a bit of a rude awakening when/if Ukip actually produce a manifesto, because in their previous one their proposals for the employment rights of workers, and for the welfare system, made the Tories appear like Marxists,

http://www.ier.org.uk/blog/ukip-workplace

http://labourlist.org/2014/02/the-truth-about-ukip/

I know I know biased lefty propaganda and lies, hysteria, running scared etc etc, heard it ALL before,
    Except, one thing that is undeniable, is the fact that every time Farage is asked questions on any of these issues he laughs them off, shouts down the questioner, or changes the subject. I wonder WHY that might be?

Old and since scrapped. Their new manifesto is being released in September.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    You'd better believe that the tories will now unleash the forces of hell.

There's nothing better than desperate Tories tearing flesh from weak Tories.

The time for Cameron and his lot is running out. A pathetic leader, a legacy of failed policies, weak in every way... I cannot wait to see the savages tear him apart!!
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Whatever you think about UKIP policies, I've looked here
    http://www.labour.org.uk/home

and I'm really struggling to find anything about policies, mind you here's Ed Milliband woffling on about, well something called "One Nation Labour"
    http://www.labour.org.uk/ed_miliband

And not a word about Rotherham>:(
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sun on the meadow is summery warm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    There's nothing better than desperate Tories tearing flesh from weak Tories.

The time for Cameron and his lot is running out. A pathetic leader, a legacy of failed policies, weak in every way... I cannot wait to see the savages tear him apart!!

So are you a Labour supporter?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    And Ed is in a wonderful state at the moment isn't he? Such a wide poll lead and great personal ratings. :D

I noticed the statistical acrobatics you came up with on the opinion polls' thread to try and deflect from Cameron's disastrous state. Any more hilarious wordplay on Ed Miliband's surname? It's positively side-splitting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are you a Labour supporter?

I'm a floating voter. I'll vote whoever kicks out this lame, weak bunch of Etonians.

I despise the local MP in this area as well. A Thatcher dinosaur
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moxey wrote: »
    I noticed the statistical acrobatics you came up with on the opinion polls' thread to try and deflect from Cameron's disastrous state. Any more hilarious wordplay on Ed Miliband's surname? It's positively side-splitting.

Not acrobatics, it's the truth. Labour are nowhere where they need to be to win an outright majority. With a potential 3% margin of error it's almost a dead heat. Nobody likes Ed. What award winning policies of his that will reform the country can you name please? I reckon I will have a long wait. I am not a Cameron fan either. I vote for UKIP. Although compared to the prospect of Ted, Cameron is outstanding.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a floating voter. I'll vote whoever kicks out this lame, weak bunch of Etonians.

I despise the local MP in this area as well. A Thatcher dinosaur

So if you're voting for Labour who are the only one's capable of "Kicking" cameron out, can you tell me what policies they have that will be better for our country? I await with baited breath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if you're voting for Labour who are the only one's capable of "Kicking" cameron out, can you tell me what policies they have that will be better for our country? I await with baited breath.

Cameron has been an absolute failure.

Wage freezes for so many, privatised utility bills up, food prices up, cuts to essential services, the failed privatisation of Royal Mail, tax cuts for multi-millionaires, immigration up.

All this from a party only just above a THIRD of this country wanted. Cameron is a disgrace.

And that is twice you have said I support Labour. Twice I have now said I am a floating voter. I will vote for whoever can remove the local MP who does nothing for this local area and who is just another rich Tory, another self-serving millionaire
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you talking about him putting his appearance fees through a limited company paying a lower rate of tax? That is perfectly legal.

No, you really do need to find out a lot more about the man you put so much store in.
    I want them to claim every penny their entitled too from the disgusting EU. It's been stated by Nigel Farage that he uses all the funds he receives for campaigning. That's good enough for me. At least they provide opposition and are not on the gravy train like the vacuous Kinnock family. Can you imagine the Kinnocks saying they want to disband the EU? I doubt it.

UKIP MEPs have been declared the laziest of all parties throughout the EU. Farage himself got paid extra for being a member of the fisheries committee (something which, at first, he denied, until he got caught), but didn't turn up for one single solitary meeting. Whilst on the other hand, in May, during the election hustings, he hypocritically told trawler men in Ipswich that he would fight for their livelihoods.

If they are as honest in their dealings as you want them to be, why don't they let everybody know; what do they have to hide?
    They haven't.

So, no benefit claimants would be forced to do unpaid work under a UKIP government?
    You've totally ignored what I told you about most MEP's turning up and going home for their 300 Euros a day. At least UKIP are there to provide opposition to this system and want it stopped.

But we are not discussing other European parties. But as we are on the subject of fellow parties in the EU. He is very reticent to discuss the politics of his closest allies in Europe. I wonder why that might be?
    I explained that Nigel Farage has said he would disband the party if we vote to leave Europe as his job will be done. You saw fit to repeat that when I had already said it for some reason?
    :

And what is wrong with me re-iterating that point?

It seems to me that you don't really know a lot about Farage and UKIP, but you are willing to follow them blindly. What would it take for you to perhaps change your mind about him? At what point would you say, "erm....no, they are not the party for me?"

I also note that you have given up on accusing me of libel. Does the "integrity" of Mr Farage not concern you anymore?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is a newspaper (of sorts), not an actual person. It accurately describes the publication's historical links with Nazism and their current approach to anything not white, middle class or British.

However, referring to an actual person, the leader of the opposition, as "Ted Millipede," where there is no contextual link, just makes you look a bit silly. Now, if there some way where you could perhaps make a connection that he had more legs than any other human, or even that he once went by the name of "Ted," you might have a point; but as it is, it's a bit daft.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Cameron has been an absolute failure.

Wage freezes for so many, privatised utility bills up, food prices up, cuts to essential services, the failed privatisation of Royal Mail, tax cuts for multi-millionaires, immigration up.

All this from a party only just above a THIRD of this country wanted. Cameron is a disgrace.

And that is twice you have said I support Labour. Twice I have now said I am a floating voter. I will vote for whoever can remove the local MP who does nothing for this local area and who is just another rich Tory, another self-serving millionaire

According to this Labour is set for a majority of 40 but it will surely be on the basis of "kicking Cameron out" rather than any policies Labour may cobble together. Their front bench really are a sorry bunch.
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
    But those figures will almost certainly change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is a newspaper (of sorts), not an actual person. It accurately describes the publication's historical links with Nazism and their current approach to anything not white, middle class or British.

However, referring to an actual person, the leader of the opposition, as "Ted Millipede," where there is no contextual link, just makes you look a bit silly. Now, if there some way where you could perhaps make a connection that he had more legs than any other human, or even that he once went by the name of "Ted," you might have a point; but as it is, it's a bit daft.

Get a sense of humour. I bet Christmas is hilarious in your house. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    According to this Labour is set for a majority of 40 but it will surely be on the basis of "kicking Cameron out" rather than any policies Labour may cobble together. Their front bench really are a sorry bunch.
    http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
    But those figures will almost certainly change.

Cameron is a dangerous man and I cannot wait to see the back of him and his bunch of failures like Hague & Duncan-Smith. In fact, pretty much all the current cabinet are failures in their own way. Cameron couldn't even win an election!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not acrobatics, it's the truth. Labour are nowhere where they need to be to win an outright majority. With a potential 3% margin of error it's almost a dead heat. Nobody likes Ed. What award winning policies of his that will reform the country can you name please? I reckon I will have a long wait. I am not a Cameron fan either. I vote for UKIP. Although compared to the prospect of Ted, Cameron is outstanding.

Let's deal with the truth.
    What is the sample size for which you quote a (no such thing as "potential") margin of error of 3%?
    I haven't checked but would be amazed if it's merely 1000.
    I have total faith in you being able to stand over your post.It's not as though you'd just chance your arm. Now who did you say you'll be voting for...? Oh, I remember, now.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to him for acting on his principles and beliefs, I don't agree with Ukip..... but then I feel the same about the Tories, But it's refreshing to see an MP of any party standing up and being brave enough to go with their conscience rather than what they are told to think.

I wonder if this might open the floodgates?

You know, I don't agree with your politics, in fact we couldn't be further apart, but I agree 100 percent with you here. If all our MP's stood for what they actually believed rather than take the easy option politics in this country would be in a far better place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get a sense of humour. I bet Christmas is hilarious in your house. :D

Oh I have a sense of humour, it's just that your silly name calling is not very funny. It kind of smacks of desperation really. You can't debate real tangible things, so you resort to insults and name calling.