Options

Anyone else think Dizzee Rascal has no talent?

Comments

• Options
    burbsburbs Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry what?:confused: His first album was huge and his songs such as "Fix up look sharp" made him hit the big time. Having commericial number one songs, as he does now, does mean he's "hit the big time". Recently he's just become more popular in a different genre then he started in. The fact that people knew about him before meant that he hit the big time. His music definatly did set the music scene alight, hence the reason why he won a Mecury Award.

You seem to think that commercial success in the charts is the only kind of success. He also isn't the biggest UK act around.

His frst album was huge? Are you being serious? What do you class as huge then? His first album failed to break the top 20, hardly a huge album.
    I understand that its not just the charts that matter but thats what artists want now, they want albums and singles topping the charts.

Ive loved Dizzee since when he was on underground radio but he was never a massive artist until recently when he went after the different crowd they you comment on. To become this massive artist you have to be accepted in the mainstream.

I know chart success isnt the only form of success but if people are not buying your music then how can you be classed as a success, just because certain people think you are?

Take Giggs for example. Probably the biggest unerground rapper on the UK scene right now but still most people dont have a clue who he is because he hasnt crossed over to the mainstream.

And as for Dizzee not being the biggest UK act around right now, you fail to mention who is? 3 number 1 tunes in a row in a totally different musical genre to the usual Dizzee music, all 3 of them going number 1 on I Tunes within the first hour of release!! Who on earth is a bigger UK act right now then as that will take some beating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    burbs wrote: »
    His frst album was huge? Are you being serious? What do you class as huge then? His first album failed to break the top 20, hardly a huge album.
    I understand that its not just the charts that matter but thats what artists want now, they want albums and singles topping the charts.

Ive loved Dizzee since when he was on underground radio but he was never a massive artist until recently when he went after the different crowd they you comment on. To become this massive artist you have to be accepted in the mainstream.

I know chart success isnt the only form of success but if people are not buying your music then how can you be classed as a success, just because certain people think you are?

Take Giggs for example. Probably the biggest unerground rapper on the UK scene right now but still most people dont have a clue who he is because he hasnt crossed over to the mainstream.

And as for Dizzee not being the biggest UK act around right now, you fail to mention who is? 3 number 1 tunes in a row in a totally different musical genre to the usual Dizzee music, all 3 of them going number 1 on I Tunes within the first hour of release!! Who on earth is a bigger UK act right now then as that will take some beating.

Biggest UK act is someone in the UK who sells more of which there are several...Leona Lewis for example has sold 6 million copies of her album 7 million copies of Bleeding Love and had 3 UK number ones, 6 top 10 hits all in the past 2 years. So using your theory on biggest UK act, she is bigger then Dizzie Rascal.

With your other points I'm not going to bother because it will just go round in circles. Dizzie Rascals album was still mainstream but in a genre that wasn't/isn't popular. Giggs on the other hand hasn't released a commericial album. Even though DR first album didn't make top 20 he got a lot of recongnition for it, and everybody soon knew he was.
  • Options
    BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet the OP hasn't heard Dizzee's first album which was outstanding but he has gone commercial which kind of bothers me because his lyrics are just dire now
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not rap BTW, technically its called Grime and its an evolution of garage music.

Its not intended to sound like american rappers.
  • Options
    NoNoDramaNoNoDrama Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Boy In Da Corner and his grime sound that album is great but his recent stuff is clubland TV fodder, it's terrible. Can't blame him for selling out though (which he blatantly has done) his music can't be described as grime or hip-hop anymore.
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought Dance Wiv Me was brilliant - as a one-off - but all this new Dizzee stuff is getting a bit boring now. his earlier music was what set him apart from others in his field, but i think he has lost that uniqueness now.

that's just my opinion but it's up to the man himself what he wants to do. it will be interesting to hear if the new album continues the trend of the last 3 singles or contains more of the older kind of stuff as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    No offense to British rappers but they dont have the accent. It just doesn't sound half as good as the American rappers.
    I cant listen to Dizzy for long, it does my head in.
  • Options
    gers09gers09 Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EuI2_pjDlM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG6NdzYH5zk

Giggs is an amazingly talented guy. Westwood has been playing his stuff for a while. And I downloaded his last mixtape. I'd recommend everyone do the same. You can get it for free from Giggs' myspace page!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    He is much more talented than you are, otherwise you would have 3 number 1s too.
  • Options
    TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gers09 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EuI2_pjDlM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG6NdzYH5zk

Giggs is an amazingly talented guy. Westwood has been playing his stuff for a while. And I downloaded his last mixtape. I'd recommend everyone do the same. You can get it for free from Giggs' myspace page!

I rate Giggs highly too. I like his rhyme style, slow and measured is how I'd describe it. The 'Walk In Da Park' "mixtape" is seriously good stuff, well produced as well with some good beats.

He did this track with Mike Skinner recently as well. The way he raps on this, just makes you stop and listen. Deep and meaningful. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1X1lgDv6c
  • Options
    Tom8592Tom8592 Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course he has talent
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You got the dirtee love and his rapping from Dirtty cash is awesome! I like him and think he is talented!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Talent or not, he just spews out the same old crap time after time. People are going to start getting bored of him soon. By that I mean he sounds exactly the same whatever he releases. He has no real variation.

And... Dirty Cash is a stupid song. It's basically the original song with his random rap, much in the same light as the thing he did with Florence.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    I bet the OP hasn't heard Dizzee's first album which was outstanding but he has gone commercial which kind of bothers me because his lyrics are just dire now

Exactly, Boy In Da Corner was one of the best British albums of the noughties, but if the original poster had heard it they wouldn't even be questioning whether he's talented or not. If anything his music has just got worse and more watered down with each album but because of that he's now become even more popular then ever before. Talented he definitely is but the music he's pumping out nowadays doesn't reflect it at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I wish he'd leave his voice off his songs - I prefer the music without it. Don't rate him as a rapper (or whatever name his style of vocals goes by) to be honest.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe they are playing the dirtee love on MTV Rocks. Up until now they have played decent Rock / Indie music & when I say music I mean people singing, drums beating & guitar strumming, not some idiot talking fast to give ndubz lady goo goo chavs a freaking orgasm.

Dirtee Love, yet another once great song which has been sampled & shat all over. :mad:

I would rather support an unknown rock band or buy an expensive american import rock cd than trash like this.

Downloading music for free isn't killing the industry but releasing sh!t like this is.

Rant over, thanks op for creating this thread you are a miracle.
  • Options
    FrameBreakerFrameBreaker Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crap crap crap, hes no eminem and his voice is just annoying.

I've said it once and i'll say it again UK Rap SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't know the first thing about rap, British or otherwise.

Eminem has been rubbish for atleast 3 years. The fact you compare Dizzee to him, as if to suggest Eminem is a good artist, humours me.

Jehst
    Lowkey
    Genesis Elijah
    Farma G
    Phi Life Cypher
    Chester P
    Kashmere
    Roots Manuva
    Black Twang
    Rhyme Asylum etc

UK rap sucks? If you knew anything about Hip Hop you'd know London is one of the best cities in the world for rap outside of New York.
  • Options
    RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dizzee has benefited somewhat from being Radio 1's "token black man". The BBC can play commercial trash day in, day out, then play a bit of Dizzee so they look inclusive and multicultural. Harsh but true.

He is the most acceptable UK rapper for the British media establishment. He seems to have been chosen for the role of "token black musician".
    He is talented, though probably one of the more conservative of UK rappers. His counterparts are either too white working class (Lady Sovereign, one of the few rappers who can actually sing, really should make the international market her priority, her race and class makes her a total non-starter in the UK), too "arty" (MIA is one of those musicians doomed to cult status for the rest of his career...if he is lucky, like Sov he should look abroad for success, because it won't happen in the UK), or too "gangster", "violent" and just plain too "street" to ever become mainstream (Giggs).

If Grime is a ship, the one might conclude it is sinking judging by how fast its leading exponents are jumping off it for warmer seas.

Rap and hip-hop are perceived as something the Americans do, the UK media sees it as an "American thing". They believe that the most "British" kind of music is the kind Simon Cowell churns out. How many grime artists do you see on X-Factor?
    Precisely my point.

Rap/hip-hop will never be accepted as "British" music, no matter how good it may be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He goes straight through me as does much rap music
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rap/grime whatever it is, is not my cup of tea. Im guessing that some people do rate him very highly but if I have ever have to listen to bonkers again it will be to soon.
  • Options
    funnyusernamefunnyusername Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crap crap crap, hes no eminem and his voice is just annoying.

I've said it once and i'll say it again UK Rap SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it does on the whole (as does US rap) but theres people like Roots Manuva, Rodney P, Black Twang, Lewis Parker and Ty who are on a whole different level.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Biggest UK act is someone in the UK who sells more of which there are several...Leona Lewis for example has sold 6 million copies of her album 7 million copies of Bleeding Love and had 3 UK number ones, 6 top 10 hits all in the past 2 years. So using your theory on biggest UK act, she is bigger then Dizzie Rascal.

Wow I never realised these people were so huge...

When their album sales are in excess of 100 million globally, like Iron Maiden, I'll consider them as "the biggest UK act around"... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked fix up look sharp and Dirtee Love but the stuff he's been churning out lately is rubbish sorry no offence but it is imo! xo
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    not a massive fan, but some of his more recent stuff sounds good at parties. have some of his music on my party playlist :D
  • Options
    Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's alright, his earlier stuff was excellent, check out "Sirens".

He has a good name too.