Options

Spaintv's Complete Series Watch: Third Watch

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Started season 3, and what a brilliant start.

The first two episodes deal with 9/11. The first is set in the hours leading up to 9/11 and it shows us what each of the characters were doing / dealing with in the hours prior. The final minutes is when it all occurs and I think it did a great job in depicting what really went on. The actual day (for real) is very clear in my mind cos one of my colleagues had a son in NYC at the time of the attacks, and I remember what she went through (and by default the rest of us) not being able to get in contact with her son for the next two-three days. The whole office stopped and we were all trying to get in contact with her son by any means possible - phones, internet, ringing people he knew etc. So the final moments of the season opener actually hit a chord and made my hairs stand on end as I relived those moments in my head.

The next episode is set various weeks after the attacks, and I thought the thrid Watch team did a magnificent job in dealing with the issue so tactfully and beautifully, remembering that this episode aired just a few short weeks after the attacks, and that everything depicted in it would still be going on in real life.

A very powerful opening to the third season, no doubt, a rewrite from the opening they had originially planned. On the subject - I couldn't find any info online; does anyone know what was intended for the season 3 opener before the attacks forced the change??? I am guessing the original opener would have been used later on in the third series with a few rewrites to reflect its move to later on in the season.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    Started season 3, and what a brilliant start.

The first two episodes deal with 9/11. The first is set in the hours leading up to 9/11 and it shows us what each of the characters were doing / dealing with in the hours prior. The final minutes is when it all occurs and I think it did a great job in depicting what really went on. The actual day (for real) is very clear in my mind cos one of my colleagues had a son in NYC at the time of the attacks, and I remember what she went through (and by default the rest of us) not being able to get in contact with her son for the next two-three days. The whole office stopped and we were all trying to get in contact with her son by any means possible - phones, internet, ringing people he knew etc. So the final moments of the season opener actually hit a chord and made my hairs stand on end as I relived those moments in my head.

The next episode is set various weeks after the attacks, and I thought the thrid Watch team did a magnificent job in dealing with the issue so tactfully and beautifully, remembering that this episode aired just a few short weeks after the attacks, and that everything depicted in it would still be going on in real life.

A very powerful opening to the third season, no doubt, a rewrite from the opening they had originially planned. On the subject - I couldn't find any info online; does anyone know what was intended for the season 3 opener before the attacks forced the change??? I am guessing the original opener would have been used later on in the third series with a few rewrites to reflect its move to later on in the season.

Yes, the last episode of season 3 was the original episode shot for the start of it - so you will see it at the end of the run.

I agree with you about how well the post 9/11 stuff was done, for me it really only hit home when I watched it on TW how awful it must have been that day. You may or may not know this but the TW team worked VERY closely with the NY emergency services so it was a personnal thing for them and it probably allowed them to deal with it so well. Molly Price (Faith) is married to a fireman - who actually plays himself, more or less, on TW - DK the fireman. There is also fire fighter Billy Walsh who is playing himself. It's weird they are involved in fictional stories but they use their real names and they were geniuenely out fighting fires when they weren't filming. Alot of the extras were actual members of the emegency services and they worked closely with advisors - the actors who played the cops used to go on ride alongs - particuarly Jason Wiles who played Bosco because he enjoyed it so much and has alot of friends on the force.

Going back to season 2, first to Bosco, from now on there will be alot of character development with him - he'll still be funny but alot happens in season 3...personally this is the highlight of the third season for me. Kim also changes, for the better this season. I have to say though I adore Carlos, his comedy episode is one of my favourites and you will see that his feelings of not quite fitting don't go away. Doc was designed to be the moral centre of the show but again that is challenged in season 3. Jimmy has more of a role as well - there's quite alot of firemen in season 3 happily. As for Ty, the progression with him happens but its not really obvious until season 6 tbh.

Alot of the episodes you have said would be under my favourites from season 2 as well.

What do you think of Alex?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really liking the character of Alex. I only knew the actress from Blue Bloods where she is just a sort of trophy wife / character for the lead in that...it seems a shame she is playing that minor role on Blue Bloods after 3rd Watch.

Despite the writers introducing her with a story which saw soe tension between her and a colleague in the previous fire house, I am glad they didn't blow it out of proportion as it would have felt like baggage for the sake of baggage when introducing a new character - and also cliched for a woman firefighter. So Im glad that they sort of downplayed this, and that despite her arrival with that story, her entry into the show was discreet and nicely paced. She remianed largely in the background for a while, which made it more "natural" and then it was when she catches Jimmy at his bachelor party that she begins to emerge to the fore.

Really liked how they worked her character. Her brief thing with Bobby was also a necessary and useful vehicle to help the character come to the fore, and after Bobby's death she starts to feel like part of the gang - already she seems to be more included than Nieto. Liking the way they are writing her character and think she's one of the most likeable characters....it'll be inetersting to see where she goes now...

One thing, have to say the actress looks much hotter here than she does in blue Bloods - but I think its cos in BB they dress and make her too wifey lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Continuing with my season 3 watch after a forced stop due to lack of time.

Have had to LOL when during episode 3.11 to my great surprise, we get a small minor appearance form Peter Dinklage, aka Tyrion Lannister from Game Of Thrones. Its great watching shows like NYPD BLUE and Third Watch which used numerous actors in minor roles before they became big. In this particular episode, GoTs quick witted trickster plays a store clerk / drug dealer.
  • Options
    conmarcas3conmarcas3 Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    It was cancelled way too early, it had lots of steam left.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Finished season 3, and another great season.

Once again, season 3 factors in some changes to the format of the series - which I much prefer, and deepens the characterisations further.

Whilst the format for season 2 - character centric episodes - were good and allowed for much further development for each individual character - I much prefer the way they have gone abut doing this in the third season.

Whilst the format for season 2 was necessary, season 3 also features character-centric episodes heavily, but they are now less "isolated" and involve greater partipation and interaction with the rest of the characters. That said, the isolation in season 2 was necessary in order for the show to be able to take the form it did in season 3.

Again, season 3 features a number of great stories. Many, and also the main tone of the third season, were completely unplanned, with episodes focusing on the aftermath of 9/11 and the effects this had on the characters and the city. Interestingly, the whole "stress and tension" of the aftermath eventually vented through the character of Bosco who had a panic attack whilst on duty and this in turn opened up Pandora's box. Writers took this opportunity presented and did a great job in furthering the analysis of the complexities that make up the characetr of Bosco.

Good to see all the other characters get equal treatment in their characterisation. We have Kim still dealing with the grief of her partner's murder, and this in turn made her spiral out ofd control and attempt suicide, which in turn brought on a custody battle with Jimmy over Joey. Similarly this allowed greater opportunity for the further development of Jimmy, who until now had remained two dimensional.

The show's moral centre, Doc, also had troubles of his own, and writers finally start to strip down hsi character and in doing this, IMOpresent a more likeable and more credible Doc - despite being likeable enough he had started to become an annoying character and thisstrip down was necessary! Season 3 ended (or rather Season 4 - witht he opener being the conclusion of the 2 parter) with Nieto confronting Doc and this made Doc come to terms with his person. No doubt there is much planned for him in season 4.

Nieto interestingly also got a reprieve with the whole baby storyline. For almost three seasons Nieto had performed as commic relief and also as a measure to the morally wealthy Doc. Season 3 finally presented him with opportunites to develop furtehr and for the audience to see another (more likeable) part to him. That said, liked that they still mantained many of his traits - even during the baby story - in that it made this more credible, and remined us that a person (Nieto in this case) is composed of many facets, even contradictory ones - something which I felt is forgotten with Doc's development.

Good to see the writers getting Ty and Alex together, although this fades into the background too quickly I feel, and writers could have perhaps better used the situation for greater characetr exploration. IN any case, Alex got her fair share of further characterisation, with the ongoing "father story", her switch to becoming a paramedic which allowed for alternative means of exploration and also through her new partnering up with Kim, which again brought about a new situation.

Really liked that throughout season 3 we have most teams experiencing shake-ups (mostly brought about by character conflicts which again is good for furtehr exploration) and with this, their teaming up with other characters. This provided a new dynamic and also provided the means for further development through new interactions. Doc and Nieto also exchanged partners, as did Sully and Ty and Bosco and Faith, the latter two mostly resulting out of characterisation prompted repurcussions and which will no doubt continue into season 4 following on from Faith's outburst to Bosco whilst at the hospital with Fred in the finale.

Good to see they brought in the whole Russian mafia story and allowed it to interconnect with Sully and Tatiana and her son. The Russian mob story was brilliant and action packed, and am really glad the writers used this perfect vehicle to further develop the whole Tatiana story. Following their wedding, it did seem that Tatiana was sort of brushed away, despite having set up a whole air of mystery and a belief "that there was much more to her" right from the start. The whole Russian story promptly kick starts the action in relation to this and also provides the excellent two parter Superheroes. Plenty of development from Sully through this story, culminating in his lying to tatiana and "setting her up" to find out more, culminating in the scene where Sully drops the drinking glass into an evidence bag which he will nbo doubt use to find out the truth about Tatiana and her identity. Also good to see the effec this whole story has on him personally, by having him temporarily cause a rift with Ty, and going from an all round nice guy who helps the neighbours out to a man who is out to find out the truth about his wife no matter what.

Good to see that fred has also been upgraded to series regular and is now featured in the credits. The latter half of the third season already sets up his personal story with the idea that Fred feels that faith is perhaps too dedicated to saving Bosco, and the effects this has on their relationship. Also good to see how Faith's want to help Bosco affects her relationship and personal life (failing the exam and so, not being able to collaborate with Fred in giving their family a bettr life) and how eventually it spirals out of control by creating a rift between her and Bosco leading to the outburst in the fiale at the hospital which will no doubt lead to more. It does seem at this point that despite the "connectivity" that still exists between the two characters, that a rift or breaking away is necessary for their own individual advancement. Quite looking fwd to see where the writers take this.

Think Ive covered everyone. I should really start taking notes during my season watch (especially in view that sometimes I have unexpected breaks during seasons) - it would rerally make this write up easier instead of having to rely on memory and reminders from Wiki :D:p:o

Season 3 highlights are many, but a few:
    September 10th, After Time, The Relay,He said She Said, Childhood Memories, Sex Lies and Videotape, Superheroes 1 and 2, Falling, The Unforgiven (unusual but good), and Blackout.

A mention that this seaso also featured the cross-over with ER, something which perhaps didnt have much of an impact with me in view that i dont follow ER. I also failed to locate the "corresponding" ER episode, where the action started before closing in Thrid Watch, so I had to rely on the 3rd Watch recap featuring scenes from ER. Its always a good idea to have cross over between shows which are similar in tone and content, but not having been able to watch the ER episode, I realised how much this fails if you don't watch the two! I can see how this episode can fail big time when it airs in reruns, or in territories outside the US, where ER and Third Watch are very likely to have aired on different channels, who might even have the wrong pace and not have both episodes coinciding in their broadcast.

On with season 4 now, Ill be back! I welcome and look fwd to your comments people, but like I requested with my similar NYPD Blue thread, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS MY FIRST WATCH so NO SPOILERS BEYOND WHAT I HAVE WATCHED TO DATE PLEASE (END OF SEASON 3)
  • Options
    scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to add just that I'm enjoying reliving Third Watch through your posts!

I'd forgotten so much, like Bobby dying for example.

I think I'm going to have to watch S1 again at some point. I have the last ever episode on my Sky+ box & watch it every now & again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad to see you enjoyed it so much, you have just reminded me why season 3 is my favourite one. Alot, if not all, of the episodes you highlighted as the best would also be my choice. Not sure if I have much to add either because you have said it all really except enjoy season 4, the action and character development keeps on coming...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    WOW Just completed season 4....how can they top that?!!!! Still reeling from the shock after watching the season finale!

Again, as with every season to date, Third Watch sort of reinvented itself for its fourth outing. Character exploration deepens further in the fourth season, but there is a tonal shift in the series toward becoming more of a cop show. Whilst the other services are still involved as are their characters, the professional aspects of the show now depend more on the work of the NYPD.

I suppose that the more increased use of police stories, which are now "meatier" were probably brought baout by the huge osts involved in writing stories involving the other services, namely the FDNY. We still get spectacular fires, car crashes, pile ups explosions and similar, and they are still as big, but they are now cleverly "rationed" and are spread out throughout the entire season. Police stoies don't need to involve scenes as big as these every week, and this is probably why the police aspect of the show was heightened.

Interestingly in order to make the shwo exciting despite the toning down / limited use of the other srvices, the writers introduce Sgt Cruz and Anti Crime to open up new possibilities and stories which are potentially more exciting than those involving beat officers. Despite my dislike for Cruz, she was a great addition to the show, and her playing on the grey made the show much more interesting and gave it a new dynamic.

For starters, the arrival of Cruz served to contribute to the already established drifting between Yokas and Bosco, culminating in their splitting up in time for the finale. At the same time Cruz also served as a very welcome contrast for Bosco. Until now Bosco could be perceived as a bit of "cowboy cop" with potential to go off the rails, but with the addition of Cruz, it served as a great contrast and it allowed us to finally redefine our perception of Bosco. it also aided the character to further develop by realising that in the end he was happier with Yokas's policing style than that of Cruz, which in turn allowed the character to better define / finally identify his own morals. Despite Bosco's limited interaction with Sully, it was interesting to have him introduced into the story involving Sully's detox, as it showed that despite his "moral greyness" (especially at that time with his involvement in Anti Crime) he would still look out for another cop.

The Bosco - Yokas rift also allowed for plenty of Yokas development in the family aspects of the character. The job catches up with Faith and it finally starts to show signs of the repurcussions it has had on her family; namely her absentism, the rift with her daughyter Emily and the strain on Fred who has mostly carried the family forward solo. This, in hand with Bosco's interest in Cruz and Anti Vice, plus the already established differences in the partnership, eventually lead Faith to want to split up from Bosco. It was great to see how Faith and Bosco hooked up at the Academy through flashbacks, and even better have the writers actually explain through the use of flashbacks how the partbership of two completely different and opposing individuals came about - it defintely added more credibility to the partnership, and heightened furtehr the drama behind the moment they chose to split up.

Similarly Ty and Sully's partnership was also tested this season, in the aftermath of Tatiana's murder at the hand of the Russians. Following her murder Sully went into freefall and despite the great strain this placed on the partnership, in the end it served to really strengthen an already strong bond, and get Sully to reciprocate equally, with Tyler already having demonstrated being the one most bonded in the partnership. Ty's unwillingness and strong bond with sully might have been reinforced by the fact that sully was Ty's dad's partner, but this has defintely grown into its own. Siilarly, whilst Sully might have felt obligated to bond with Ty due to his father, by the end of this season, their personal relationship has definitely gone onto a higher level. As we got with Faith and Bosco, the writers also allowed us to "revisit" Sully's past in his admittence that the bullet which was meant for Davies Snr was actually meant for him. This served a purpose and displayed the strength of the bond between ty and Sully - even though this version of the story can be considered a retcon since I recall a different story in relation to Davies Snr's murder was used in the earlier episodes (but I'll forgive them). Sully's downward spiral; also allowed for some (albeit limited )interaction with carlos, Doc and Bosco who also participated in getting Sully back on the straight and narrow - carlos thorugh flat sharing, and the latter two by actively participating in his detox.

Also this season, we got more appearances from the Lieutenant, prompted by the increased screentime of the police part of the series.

Back at the firehouse, writers continued to work further on Carlos, and following his baby story, we have him accused of touching up a female patient. The story served to highlight the fact that despite already having been at the Fh for four years, Carlos has still failed to fully integrate into the family. As a result the whole team questions his innocence and eventually, coinciding with individual character developments and exploration, the team, notably Kim, decide to back him up. The story once its over finally allows Carlos to integrate into the team, and finally softens him as a character, a great contrast to the Carlos of season one. The whole incident also serves to strengthen the bond between carlos and Ty, which until now, had been assumed due to their living arrangements, but little seen as their co-habiting has had very limited screentime to date.

Following on from last season, Doc decides to experience life a bit more, and starts a relationship with a younger girl. the whole story helps to move along his realisation that he needs to start changing aspects of his life, as well as making the character more likeable and less boring - I personally was tiring of his character. Also good to have Doc acknowledge that he knew the truth behind Davies Snr's death, as it gave the character that deep more depth - he had kept a dark secret from Ty, somethng which defintely brings a new dimension to the otherwise dull goody two shoes character.

Season 4 offers little or no insight into the Kim - Jimmy situation or their son Joey. Instead there is a greater focus on Kim at work, and a further development and strengthening of her bond with Alex. Whether crafted from the start on purpose, or a coincidence, it was good that they played on her relationship with Alex as it added to the drama of the final scenes in the season 4 finale. Kim also started a relationship with a criminal writer, and it will be interesting to see how this plays out in te season 5 opener, as she is still in the dark about his criminal connections and about his indirect involvement in the death of Alex.

Jimmy's appearances were limited to on the job scenes, with a little side story about his face being used in an advertising campaign, and a brief scene which showed that he continues to be a ladykiller. No doubt his limited appearances came about as a result of the "rationing" of the FDNY this season.

And finally Alex, Was not expecting the departure of her character and less so for her on screen death. Brilliant build up to her death scene, by showcasing her passion and calling for the job, and highlighting her Fiire and Paramedic skills. Her exchange with the elderly couple moments before the explosion that killed her was a touching addition as was her "unoffically "approved" / blind eyed by the Lieutenant insubordination; which ahd already been shown before, and ironically led to her death. Disappointed that her relationship with TY was forgotten about this season. It could have received a passing mention or been reworked into the story for the final episodes leading to her death, but perhaps it worked best like this, as it would have left the writers with little choice but to give Ty an already over-used and repetitive story in season 5.

Overall a great season! Shame that the other services got reduced screetime, but it was interesting how they reworked the concept and made the police aspect exciting. That said, the big action scenes were great!

Again, season 4 also had numerous highlights, but some of these are:
    The season 4 opener - Lights Up

The missing kid story involving the erroneous accusation of a child molester in "ToProtect", which also serves to introduce Miguel White

Crash and Burn involving Alex's accident on scene and the brilliant big budget pile up scenes!

The climax of the Tatiana story in the excellent two-parter Judgement Day

The Faith - Emily centric episode Ladies Day

The two parter Crime and Punishment involving Miguel White

Second Chances with the brilliant collapse scenes at th work site

The Cruz & sister and Emily trilogy in Snowblind and the two parter Collateral Damage

The brilliant Sully detox "bottle episode" Last Call

and the finale The Price of Nobility

Moving onto season 5 now. As always, I welcome and look fwd to your comments people, but , PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS MY FIRST WATCH so NO SPOILERS BEYOND WHAT I HAVE WATCHED TO DATE PLEASE (END OF SEASON 4)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm glad you are still enjoying it, there are some parts of the fourth season that are a little disappointing - the ones you higlighted really, the lack of FDNY and not much of Kim and Jimmy but the stuff with the cops is so good it compensates for it. I personally disliked the splitting up of Faith and Bosco because to me it was always the most interesting dynamic on TW. Cruz has always been a difficult one for me, sometimes I like her sometimes I hate her but I think Tia Texada is brilliant and all in all she was a great addition. Again I would have to agree the Carlos stuff is wonderful for his character, I remember thinking of this when you were watching the earlier series and saying he hadn't really fit in so it is nice when he finally does and the bond it creates between him and Kim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Completed my six season watch of Third Watch. Just realised I never posted a season 5 review at the time! Apologies for those who had been waiting. Below I give my overall thoughts on seasons 5 and 6 instead.

Season 5 saw the series at another crossroads. A number of cast departures meant the show had to take a number of new characters on, giving the show a completely new feel. Many of the cast departures were at the Fire House, and this it seems gave the writers the opportunity to do away with the FDNY stories, relegate the Paramedics to the background, and put the show on the path to becoming a fully fledged cop show.

Season 5 confirmed that Alex was dead. I imagine that by then, both Doc and Jimmy had confirmed their departures from the show, and so, killing off the FDNY Lt was a good choice, especially since it contributed to Doc’s breakdown.

Doc’s meltdown was one of the stories I enjoyed the most from season 5. Even if it ended with Doc actually taking his friends hostage and actually shooting someone (which might seem out of character), I thought they did a good job in detailing his downward spiral and eventual breakdown. It also added realism to the show’s central theme – the lives of emergency response workers. Doc’s character erosion and breakdown is a true to life occurrence with many emergency response workers around the globe, and it was good to see that the writers incorporated this true to life – yet little talked about (or though of by civilians) occurrence into the series.

With Doc’s departure, soon followed by Jimmy’s transfer to a Rescue Team at another House, the FDNY and Paramedics faded into the background. Kim and Carlos had a few minor stories, but they were now second to the police action which took over the series. Eventually Kim left, and it was good to have the writers reunite her with Jimmy. Various minor characters were introduced into the FDNY and paramedics, but they were never really developed – although at times there were hints that they perhaps might be.

Paramedic Holly introduced as a minor character eventually grew in season 6, but never to the point of becoming a main character, and I thought writers did a poor job with her character considering that in the end she married Carlos – and even that was really badly written and plotted I thought! Again later in season 6 they introduce Paramedic Grace, and despite various hints that ehr character would be fleshed out, it never really was – although admittedly it might have been due to notification that the series would not go on to have a seventh season! Even then, her hooking up with Finney during season 6 was rushed and badly written I thought.

There were also two firefighters introduced after Jimmy exited. The first was an ex cop who had little purpose other than adding to Kim’s decisions for leaving. With his character i got the impression there were bigger plans for him, but for some reason he was written out – perhaps cos his character / actor didn’t work??? Again, in season 6 a new firefighter is introduced, who, other than having a “light” sub plot involving an alcoholic film star, and a brief misunderstanding that Carlos was gay (later resolved in the finale) contributed little else to the series. Again, perhaps there were pans for his character but these were scrapped after the series got notified of their cancellation?????

Seasons 5 and 6 morphed the show into a full blown cop show. I like cop shows, but I was disappointed by the complete departure from the original premise of the show. That said, I did enjoy the police stories themselves, and the increased action stemming from these stories.

Faith’s absence was greatly noticed during the fifth season, but in itself it contributed good stories to the show. The Faith Vs Cruz story was good and gave the show another ingredient to play with. Faith’s falling out with Bosco and Bosco’s new pairings.

I liked the introduction of Sasha into the series but was greatly disappointed when it was revealed that she was part of the “Rat squad”, as in my watching the series, I really got the impression that this was a storyline “thought of quite late” when her character was already developed. I understand that she was undercover, but I get the impression that the whole thing was a really late thought and not something they thought of when they first introduced her character. Sasha’s introduction also gave Ty a new interest, which made working the personal aspectsof his character easier, considering that his interactions with roommate carlos were almost nil for the last two seasons of the show.

Similarly, Finney was a good introduction which allowed for Ty to be developed in other ways, and also advance Sully in others. I really enjoyed the flashback episode which allowed us to see Ty’s father, a young Sully and Finney’s corrupt dad, even if I felt really cheated with the whole retconning of Ty Davies Snr’s death / murder! At the end of the series, Ty Senior came across a a real piece of work, and his whole story was really messed up by writers! But then again, the retconning did give us an interesting story for the sixth season.

About Sully, I particularly enjoyed the episode where he was taken to a cabin in the wood to recover, and was aided by most of the male cast. This was probably the last time we saw a proper interaction between all characters irrespective of the service they worked. For the last two seasons, interactions between the services was minimal – they even did away with their meal meets at restaurants during the course of the shift, and the lack of interaction was evident when in the finale during the attack o the Precinct House, many of the characters did not know each other!

Despite my initial dislike, Tia Texada a Sgt Cruz was probably the best addition the show had in its last few years, and I really feel that her character and stories were the ones that did the most work in keeping the show alive. Cruz was an excellent character and the writers really took the time to develop her character carefully. Even then, season 6 was a bit of a mess, and despite the whole illness story and the motives played out to have her want to find some faith in the face of death etc, writers really messed up an otherwise carefully constructed character by having us witness a Sgt Cruz dancing to the chant of the “santeros “ in one of the final episodes! On that note, the last five – six episodes felt rushed and reworked, perhaps due to the series’ cancellation??

During season 6, writers introduced an “outbreak story” that was never properly resolved. After the conclusion of what seemed a part one of two, the next episode wrapped the story pretty much in a “previously recap” which featured scenes not featured in the previous episode. Initially I thought I had skipped an episode but I hadn’t. We last saw Carlos becoming sick and a very worried Holly calling for help…next episode we get a “previously on” segment which featured an unseen scene of Carlos in hospital and we are told that he is okay and will not die. Similarly, the first few seconds of the episode tie up the story – and what was meant to be an important outbreak with killer consequences no longer is and we swiftly move on to a new story – the vampires…oh, sanguerians !!!!!!!!!!! which is probably the daftest TW story ever!

Faith’s promotion to Detective was a good move in view that the show was now fully depending on police stories, and her new position allowed wriers to come up with better police stories that could also run longer. Jelly was also a welcome addition, and comic relief was placed entirely on his shoulders for the remaining duration of the show. Annoyingly, despite Jelly being a senior, writers made faith into a super detective often taking the lead an solving cases on her own!

The series finale lacked oomph. What could have been a really good story – a siege on the police house, was delivered as a half baked story wrapped up in half the episode duration time, with the remainder of the episode used to look ahead into the lives of most of the characters. Sully retired, Faith moved onto Major Crimes and started a new relationship; Bosco was doing more of the same elsewhere; Ty (got a major promotion) and Finney (despite being quite new became a Sgt!) continued working together and were heading an elite taskforce that was the best in the whole of NYC!!!!, carlos had children!!!! Personally I think the “This is what happened to them” part was meant to be a nice touch, but it was largely exaggerated and really felt out of place and the future circumstances for most of the characters did not at all feel like the final destination for them considering the paths we had witnessed then follow for the past six years!

All in all I have really enjoyed Third Watch and am glad that I took time to watch it. The final two seasons really disappointed me as part of Third Watch’s overall run. I really enjoyed the action and the increased police element of the show during the final two years, but only when I consider them apart from the rest of the series. The series definitely lost its way during seasons 5 and 6,and its attempt to morph into a new kind of show, it gave way to some silly stories, bad characterisations and other errors when viewed as part of the wider Third Watch universe.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    Paramedic Holly introduced as a minor character eventually grew in season 6, but never to the point of becoming a main character, and I thought writers did a poor job with her character considering that in the end she married Carlos – and even that was really badly written and plotted I thought!

During season 6, writers introduced an “outbreak story” that was never properly resolved. After the conclusion of what seemed a part one of two, the next episode wrapped the story pretty much in a “previously recap” which featured scenes not featured in the previous episode. Initially I thought I had skipped an episode but I hadn’t. We last saw Carlos becoming sick and a very worried Holly calling for help…next episode we get a “previously on” segment which featured an unseen scene of Carlos in hospital and we are told that he is okay and will not die. Similarly, the first few seconds of the episode tie up the story – and what was meant to be an important outbreak with killer consequences no longer is and we swiftly move on to a new story

I never liked Holly, and Grace's characterisation was changed because of Kim Raver leaving for 24. They intended to have the 2 characters continue to clash, but decided they had to make Grace more likeable as she was the only other full time paramedic. Also, don't know if you know, but 'Carlos' and 'Holly' are married in real life.

The 2nd part of the outbreak story was wrapped up in an episode of cancelled-after-one-season show 'Medical Investigation'.

Season 6 was very poor IMO. The conspiracy regarding the death of Ty Davis sr. was a complete retcon of what we had been told in earlier seasons, and that aside, it was still extremely tedious to watch. Faith was completely ruined once she became a detective, and without Bosco around we had to rely on Carlos (and Jelly) for humour, but the story was so focused on the cops that we barely saw him. The final episode was a massive disappointment. The attack on Camelot was a sign of how ridiculous the stories had become, and the fact that the story was wrapped up mid-way through the final episode with no real involvement from our favourite characters was an insult.

Really need to acquire season 2-6 for a rewatch though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NinjyBear wrote: »
    I never liked Holly, and Grace's characterisation was changed because of Kim Raver leaving for 24. They intended to have the 2 characters continue to clash, but decided they had to make Grace more likeable as she was the only other full time paramedic. Also, don't know if you know, but 'Carlos' and 'Holly' are married in real life.

The 2nd part of the outbreak story was wrapped up in an episode of cancelled-after-one-season show 'Medical Investigation'.

Season 6 was very poor IMO. The conspiracy regarding the death of Ty Davis sr. was a complete retcon of what we had been told in earlier seasons, and that aside, it was still extremely tedious to watch. Faith was completely ruined once she became a detective, and without Bosco around we had to rely on Carlos (and Jelly) for humour, but the story was so focused on the cops that we barely saw him. The final episode was a massive disappointment. The attack on Camelot was a sign of how ridiculous the stories had become, and the fact that the story was wrapped up mid-way through the final episode with no real involvement from our favourite characters was an insult.

Really need to acquire season 2-6 for a rewatch though.

Thanks for that Ninjy - no online guide makes reference to the episode emntioned being a crossover with any other show! Ill have to see if I can acquire the corresponding episode of MI.

Have to say the whole thing had a strange feel to it, and now it makes sense after you explained. The fact that two "minor guest stars" had a scene on their own - with no involvement from regular cast and a few other on screen presentations involving the story gave the show a weird feel! Its not regular practice to have two guest stars having solo scenes with no regular cast at hand merely because it maes the audience feel detached, but I can see the why now!

Jelly was a great addition I thought - shame we didn't get to see much of him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately I think most Third Watch fans feel really cheated by season 6, it really isn't popular and had been nick-named the season when hope died (because the Third Watch theme is keep hope alive) In my opinion it became like every other predecural cop show and lost its individuality. The fans watched because it was a point of view the rest of the shows do not focus on - what happens on the street to beat cops, if I had wanted to watch a detective show I could have watched CSI or something simillar. I felt it just became far too heavy and lost its sense of humour, which is one thing I always admired about it.

I have to admit the new characters did nothing for me, they were ok but Finney was never gonna be Bosco and Grace was never gonna be Kim, Holly was actually the only one I felt was a good addition but all in all I have to agree the firehouse was horribly neglected, although this did mean that Carlos got the majority of the cover there which was nice.

One of the major problems I had with it was the splitting up of all the partnerships. I basically hated every story they did with the cops, although Sully and Cruz had some good moments. Detective Yokas just sucked and no Bosco for half the season was a massive massive loss.

The end of the season was reworked partly because it was cancelled and partly because Jason Wiles, who played Bosco, had decided to leave and was meant to be killed off before the final - so when they knew they were being cancelled they changed his fate.

You can tell i'm still not over how they finished up, lol, because it was hugely disappointing for most fans but i'm glad you enjoyed the earlier seasons because they are great television.
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Really want to rewatch this show now, but still no signs of season 2-6 on DVD. Any way way to acquire the episodes without torrents? I've looked everywhere but can find anything :(

Looking through clips on youtube has reminded me how much I loved this show when I first saw it. The episode where Bobby died was heartbreaking, even for a grumpy git like me :cry: Kim Raver was fantastic outside the hospital with her Mum.