A superb scene from 'Jaws'

mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
Forum Member
Spielberg may be master of the gung-ho flick but he can do less-is-more as well.

In my opinion, 'Jaws' is one of the truly great movies of all time. Take a look at the first minute of this clip, to see some memorable understated acting from Robert Shaw (in the context of the film, I found this riveting).

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-3Xcw4JYYYhbJmm/jaws_1975_fishing_rod/

Comments

• DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaws is an undoubted classic, but for me too it really kicks in when they get on the boat :)
  • Mr TeacakeMr Teacake Posts: 6,593
    Forum Member
    Jaws is a great film.

p.s. I was shocked when I recently read that the baddie in From Russia with Love was played by Robert Shaw. I would never have seen the resemblance. Granted I only know him from The Sting AND Jaws, maybe 1 or 2 others, but doyle lonnegan was also the blonde russian hitman wow.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some cinemas are showing the 2012 restoration in the second week of June, though I don't know how wide the release will be.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Jaws !
    My favourite "shot" of the film is where the boy Alex Kintner is killed by the shark, and Brody stays in focus and the background zooms out.
    Ever since I first saw it, that technique is known by me as "The Jaws Shot" ! :D
    It's surprising how many other films have used that technique
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaws was on ITV4 the other night and I would never normally watch it on tv but I'm going to Martha's Vineyard (Amity Island) in a weeks time so I couldn't resist watching and thinking "I'll be there soon". Got my Jaws Tour all booked :)

If its not showing at my local cinema........I'll drive to wherever it is, it must be seen on the big screen.

And once the Blu-ray arrives we'll finally get to see the documentary The Shark Is Still Working - at long last.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    I love Jaws !
    My favourite "shot" of the film is where the boy Alex Kintner is killed by the shark, and Brody stays in focus and the background zooms out.
    Ever since I first saw it, that technique is known by me as "The Jaws Shot" ! :D
    It's surprising how many other films have used that technique

First used by Hitchcock I think , in Vertigo in 1958.
  • GlengavelGlengavel Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikesuffs wrote: »
    Spielberg may be master of the gung-ho flick but he can do less-is-more as well.

In my opinion, 'Jaws' is one of the truly great movies of all time.

The less-is-more came about because of a happy accident - the mechanical sharks never worked properly and Spielberg had to work round this.

It strikes me that if George Lucas had made Jaws we might by now have had upmteen restored versions with CGI sharks and all.
  • peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my favourite scene is the bit on the boat when brody says, after being asked to drop a chum marker "let hooper take a turn" and quint reminds him just who is captain by saying "hooper drives the boat chief", followed by that ominous shot of him up silhouetted against the sky as he stands up on the mast.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    The funny thing about Quint is that for all his expertise on shark hunting, he's virtually of no use at all to the expedition, and actually endangers the lives of Hooper and Brody.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that shot is called a 'dolly zoom'.
  • a_c_g_ta_c_g_t Posts: 1,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're going to need a bigger boat.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the last twenty minutes .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere, that there are venues in the USA, where they play Jaws on a drive-in screen next to fresh-water lakes, and people sit in boats and inner-tubes to watch.

That would be :eek: awesome!!
  • ItsTimmyTimeItsTimmyTime Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »
    I read somewhere, that there are venues in the USA, where they play Jaws on a drive-in screen next to fresh-water lakes, and people sit in boats and inner-tubes to watch.

That would be :eek: awesome!!

...I want to go to there. :eek:
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many moments to choose from but I'd like to give a mention to the scene where Brody and Hooper come across Ben Gardner's boat.

The music is so haunting in this scene and I'm always thinking 'It's night time, for God's sake don't go in the water'

He always does go in the water and thank God, because it created one of the most epic moments in movie history.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farewell and adieu to you, Spanish Ladies,
    Farewell and adieu to you, ladies of Spain;
    For we've received orders for to sail for ole England,
    But we hope in a short time to see you again.
    We will rant and we'll roar like true British sailors,
    We'll rant and we'll roar all on the salt sea.
    ooooooshhhh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A superb scene in Jaws = every scene in Jaws. A masterpiece IMO.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaws is a brilliant film. Although I can't watch half of it due to STILL getting scared of a fibreglass fish!!! :D
    Forum Member
    When you think about it, why did the Mayor even need to see the shark tooth?

Ben Gardener's boat was destroyed, it had obvious bite marks on it, his corpse bore similar injuries to the girl on the beach, and Hooper had seen the tooth with his own eyes and was an expert.

It would have been riskier for the Mayor to keep the beaches open, not closed, because of the risks of lawsuits by the families of the victims.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherby wrote: »
    First used by Hitchcock I think , in Vertigo in 1958.

Strange, I don't remember a shot like that in Vertigo but I do in Jaws.
    It's the only Spielberg film that I like apart from Duel.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    So many moments to choose from but I'd like to give a mention to the scene where Brody and Hooper come across Ben Gardner's boat.

The music is so haunting in this scene and I'm always thinking 'It's night time, for God's sake don't go in the water'

He always does go in the water and thank God, because it created one of the most epic moments in movie history.

And even though I have seen Jaws about 100 times it still makes me jump :eek:
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CoolioD1 wrote: »
    A superb scene in Jaws = every scene in Jaws. A masterpiece IMO.

Agreed!

Seen it so many times and I never get bored of it

The first attack is still:eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    Jaws 4 pissed all over Chief Brody

He died because he was afraid of sharks?

Uh....no.....he brutally murdered two sharks. As far as sharks go, he was their worst nightmare

THEY should have died from fear of HIM
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaws 4 pissed all over Chief Brody

He died because he was afraid of sharks?

Uh....no.....he brutally murdered two sharks. As far as sharks go, he was their worst nightmare

THEY should have died from fear of HIM

The sequels only showed how good the original was.

Having three brilliant actors acting out a movie within a movie for the last 20 minutes was the masterstroke.
  • Chris65757Chris65757 Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jaws is one of those films I always end up watching right through to the end no matter what point I come in after flicking through the channels.

One shot I love occurs after the shark has attacked the people in the boating pond and sent Chief Brody's son into shock. The camera follows Brody's view and zooms out to the open sea, to where this creature comes from. It's a shot full of mystery and intent - the feeling that this is now personal.