Anyone who harms animals, should get a basic 5 years?

ZimmieZimmie Posts: 1,244
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I believe anyone who hurts animals should at least get 5 years in jail, either caused by ignorance or deliberate wrongdoing.

Comments

• Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    Zimmie wrote: »
    I believe anyone who hurts animals should at least get 5 years in jail, either caused by ignorance or deliberate wrongdoing.

You ever swatted a fly or killed a wasp?
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    You ever swatted a fly or killed a wasp?

Or hit a rabbit or bird with your car?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of people who harm human beings don't get five years.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All animals are equal, but it appears some are more equal than others.
  • doinitwrongdoinitwrong Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    And if people did get arrested for 5 years for doing trivial things such as squash flies, we would be complaining even more about how the law in the UK is flawed! :rolleyes:
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Too expensive. They should have to do some work that benefits an animal welfare centre instead.
  • omeletpercyomeletpercy Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Yes. It's as bad as harming a child IMO. There is no ability to fight back, understand the situation etc.

Its sick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, if you genuinely are aiming to transform society into one which cares more for animals, then this is not the right way to go about it. People are just going to laugh off claims like this - when in reality, there is a pretty good argument in favour of not harming animals.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Too expensive. They should have to do some work that benefits an animal welfare centre instead.

Just don't let them anywhere near any actual animals is all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't let them anywhere near any actual animals is all.

they don't have to go near animals to do work that benefits them - they can clear out pens etc.
  • doinitwrongdoinitwrong Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I do, however, agree that with certain animals, you should get a prison sentence of at least 5 years if you abuse those animals.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about vets? they must kill animals every day, or people in abattoirs? prison is going to be full soon.
    I do, however, agree that with certain animals, you should get a prison sentence of at least 5 years if you abuse those animals.

oh right I see, it's going to be decided by how fluffy they are or something. Vets still count. And I count killing animals as wrongdoing, even mercy killing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about these cat and dog hoarders who have large numbers of animals kept in shite conditions? They always come across as a bit dim and diddly.

I'd say they need help rather than prison.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    no, for the reasons others have stated.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about the rights of bacteria and viruses? Don't they have a right to life?
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    And if people did get arrested for 5 years for doing trivial things such as squash flies, we would be complaining even more about how the law in the UK is flawed! :rolleyes:

True - the laws can be so flawed. What next? "Treading on micro-bacteria" ?! Well, it's a living thing!

But, jesting apart. I agree that a person found to be annihilating a poor dog/cat whatever in total cruelty should be dealt with accordingly! They are obviously demented and should be locked away for however long. Who knows? They may turn into a murderer of people (heaven forbid).

I hate any cruelty to animals.....they are 'sick' people who do it!

As for wasps - pah! Kill the buggers!!!:)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The laws on cruelty to animals in this country aren't harsh enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm undecided about custodial sentences for animal abuse, but what I do not understand is being banned for x amount of years from keeping animals. If you get found guilty, you should be banned for life. End.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The laws on cruelty to animals in this country aren't harsh enough.

The general set-up is poor. I went to the offices of the RSPCA just the other day - it is tiny, you couldn't swing a cat in there.
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. It's as bad as harming a child IMO. There is no ability to fight back, understand the situation etc.

Its sick.

but people dont always get 5 year prison sentences for harming children

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2149935/Mother-partner-broke-toddlers-leg-arms-foot-spared-jail-horrific-beating-offence.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »

They should have much more severe penalties for child cruelty. But that's not what this thread is about.
  • JamesC81JamesC81 Posts: 14,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    They should have much more severe penalties for child cruelty. But that's not what this thread is about.

i dont get it are you telling me off here? someone mentioned children so i addressed them on that point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    i dont get it are you telling me off here? someone mentioned children so i addressed them on that point

Sorry- misunderstood :o
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with post 4.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I certainly believe there should be stiffer sentences for animal abusers, but really OP, you need to clearly and tightly define what you mean, if you are to avoid some of the replies you've already got.