Buyer wants to pick up - eBay

waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
Forum Member
Hello,
I have a listing on eBay and it is an auction.

A buyer wants to just by it now with cash and pick up outside of eBay to save on fees and postage etc - which would mean I would be getting about as much as i would hope.

Is this safe?

Comments

• scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way I look at it is money in your pocket is better than in e-bay's or Paypal's.

I no longer use e-bay but I used to emphasise 'cash on collection only' when I sold anything above £10. I had no problems with the safety aspect, although if your a woman you may have a different view.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way I look at it is money in your pocket is better than in e-bay's or Paypal's.

I no longer use e-bay but I used to emphasise 'cash on collection only' when I sold anything above £10. I had no problems with the safety aspect, although if your a woman you may have a different view.

Unless it's a really big item, you can always arrange pick-up in a public place, I've done that before. Or if pick-up has to be from home, make sure there's other people around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make sure you've got someone else with you when they turn up. Preferably a bloke.

Or maybe you could do the pick up from someone else's house?
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm reading the opening post correctly, the potential buyer wants to end the auction early and buy outside eBay. Usually when a buyer wants to do this it's not out of any charitable feelings but because they reckon they can get the item more cheaply than if the auction were to run its full course. Ending an auction early for a cash-in-hand deal therefore isn't always a great idea, and you might make more money by letting the auction run to the end.

As for having the buyer collect the item, I wouldn't be too worried about that, unless you have reason to be suspicious or feel insecure.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I've had buyers pick up and pay cash (although not outside of eBay) without a problem but have always had someone else present to witness the item's condition.

In your case, OP, outside of eBay then it's the buyer who is more at risk.
  • waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Great, my dad will be around anyway so I'll make sure he's definitely in.
    Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your case, OP, outside of eBay then it's the buyer who is more at risk.
    The OP is an 18 year old female though..

If you're not happy with what they're offering maybe haggle a bit and come to some compromise?
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,922
    Forum Member
    I've done several ebay pick-ups ; one from a lovely couple in Plumstead Common in London.

They made lunch for us and everything!
  • GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    If its a small item best do it by post. Plus I always make a bit extra from p&p. But if its a big item thats awkward or expensive to post then make sure you have somebody there with you.

If youre doing transactions outside of ebay then you lose your security that ebay and paypal offers. If anything goes wrong youre on your own. Is it worth it?
  • waterlooenderswaterlooenders Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    bowland37 wrote: »
    The OP is an 18 year old female though..

If you're not happy with what they're offering maybe haggle a bit and come to some compromise?

I am going to haggle a bit first - doing that currently.

I would not do it if no one else would be in to be honest, but my dad will be and my dog tends to bark at doors so I think I'll be fine!

And it is a more expensive item which would cost me a lot for postage.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    My husband offered money on ebay yesterday and he wants to pick up, wonder if you are seller lol. He is a lovely guy and very trustworthy :)
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sellers don't get much protection from e-bay these days anyway so personally I would take the offer if you feel it's fair.

It's funny we all get so het up over people coming to pick things up before e-bay we had free ad mart etc and everything was picked up nothing much was ever posted.
  • GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Sellers don't get much protection from e-bay these days anyway so personally I would take the offer if you feel it's fair.

It's funny we all get so het up over people coming to pick things up before e-bay we had free ad mart etc and everything was picked up nothing much was ever posted.

well most people still do pick up in person via friday ads and Gumtree etc But if its a young girl I think its always advisable to have somebody else there. Also depends what youre selling and how much cash is involved.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowstick wrote: »
    If youre doing transactions outside of ebay then you lose your security that ebay and paypal offers.
    molliepops wrote: »

From the seller's point of view, cash is preferable anyway - apart from the lack of any Paypal fee you also don't risk Paypal clawing the money back if the buyer makes a bogus claim against you.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I often ask if I can collect if I buy an item on ebay and its reasonably local. You save on postage and I always pay cash on collection. Never had a problem and its better for you as sellers usually bump up postage charges a bit - worse was being charged £3.50 and getting it sent with a 2nd class stamp!!:)
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as sellers usually bump up postage charges a bit - worse was being charged £3.50 and getting it sent with a 2nd class stamp!!:)

it's postage and packing the fee is for, not just the price of a stamp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    it's postage and packing the fee is for, not just the price of a stamp.

Oh dah - how many small brown envelopes cost £3.00?
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dah - how many small brown envelopes cost £3.00?

depends where they bought it.
    i assume you knew the cost of the P&P before hand though, so if you weren't happy with it then you shouldn't have bought it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Usually when a buyer wants to do this it's not out of any charitable feelings but because they reckon they can get the item more cheaply than if the auction were to run its full course. Ending an auction early for a cash-in-hand deal therefore isn't always a great idea, and you might make more money by letting the auction run to the end.

I was selling an item on ebay and a buyer asked if I would take £40 for it, I declined and let the auction run. I got £11.00.
    Fail. :(
    i assume you knew the cost of the P&P before hand though, so if you weren't happy with it then you shouldn't have bought it.

I agree with this.
    I've had people moan about the P&P after they were more than happy to pay it. People forget about the price of bubble wrap, parcel tape and recorded delivery charges.

I once drove 25 miles (50 miles round trip) with a large item after they had paid for the courier charge, as I wanted to make sure they got the item safely.
    They later moaned about the P&P as I had not used the courier service and should have been free!!! (The courier service including packing was a tenner)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps they bought it from Harrods! Of course I know the cost of P&P and when I sell I never try and make a profit out of the P&P just charge exactly what it costs me, but when you expect something in a box and bubble wrap and its just chucked in an envelope with a 2nd class stamp then you do get a bit p&&sed! :mad: Always check before bidding though if you can collect.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I allow pick up for all my auctions, not that many in reality, but it gives a choice.

If you are selling a large item it will severely restrict your sales potential if the cost of p&p is very large and you don't allow collection.

On the buying side i will pick up locally if given the chance.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,787
    Forum Member
    Glowstick wrote: »
    If its a small item best do it by post. Plus I always make a bit extra from p&p. But if its a big item thats awkward or expensive to post then make sure you have somebody there with you.

If youre doing transactions outside of ebay then you lose your security that ebay and paypal offers. If anything goes wrong youre on your own. Is it worth it?

What could go wrong?
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course I know the cost of P&P and when I sell I never try and make a profit out of the P&P just charge exactly what it costs me, but when you expect something in a box and bubble wrap and its just chucked in an envelope with a 2nd class stamp then you do get a bit p&&sed! :mad:

Hit seller with a neg rep if unhappy, that is payback in itself.

Personally I always post at cost of stamp, would never overcharge because I wouldn't want overcharged myself. In fact, it's usually me who takes a hit on postage, more often than not it costs more than I quote buyer.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Packing materials such as jiffy bags, bubble wrap, brown paper and sticky tape cost money, unless you're going to recycle them from other packages you've received. I therefore see no harm at all in including a small element in P&P charges to allow for that sort of expense.

Some sellers also charge for their time in carrying out the packaging and in going to the post office, and for fuel costs in getting there too. I don't, but then I'm not a professional seller. However, I'd say that posting at the cost of a stamp isn't really a very sensible policy, though excessive charges are unacceptable.
  • NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I'd say that posting at the cost of a stamp isn't really a very sensible policy, though excessive charges are unacceptable.
    It works for me and I'm just a humble private seller who sells on occasions. I'm not out to shaft the buyer, if I can help a buyer in any little way I can, I feel good about that. I bought 100 plastic delivery bags for under a fiver on ebay the other month, how could I possibly charge a couple of quid for 1 bag and add that on. And regards wasting fuel getting to the PO, well I'm personally out and about every day and must drive past a dozen or more Post Offices along the way, hardly going to charge for walking in and waiting 5 mins.

I see some extortionate postage charges on auctions and walk away. I fully understand if you don't like postage terms and conditions then don't bid, and that's exactly what I do, but it's fair to say some sellers rip the ass out of postage costs. They can keep their item as far as I'm concerned.