When was the last time that Neighbours had a legendary character?

NFAN 21NFAN 21 Posts: 92
Forum Member
Neighbours has had many characters who just automatically become associated with its name because of viewer popularity.

Past Examples: Helen Daniels, Jim Robinson, Harold Bishop, Scott Robinson, Charlene Robinson, Libby Kennedy...

Current Examples: Karl Kennedy, Susan Kennedy, Lou Carpenter, Paul Robinson Toadfish Rebecchi (although his popularity somewhat declining due to him becoming quite boring) ...

Of course there are loads more examples.

When was the last time that Neighbours found a legendary character? Are there any who have recently joined the cast? And what makes you consider a character to be legendary?

Comments

• DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,738
    Forum Member
    I guess it depends on how you define 'legend'.

I'd say Elle Robinson and Steph Scully were the last legendary female characters. They were strong females, independent, smart, with their own style and flare.

I think Chris is a legendary character. If for no other reason than b/c he's the show's first regular gay male. He's not defined by his sexuality, and he is a nice character.

I think Terese could be a legend, and Imogen has the potential, too. It just depends on how they're written for and how long they stick around. I think Neighbours has had several characters over the last 5 years that could have become legendary if they had stuck around for several years - Jade and Rebecca for example.
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    Deschanel wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how you define 'legend'.

I'd say Elle Robinson and Steph Scully were the last legendary female characters. They were strong females, independent, smart, with their own style and flare.

I think Chris is a legendary character. If for no other reason than b/c he's the show's first regular gay male. He's not defined by his sexuality, and he is a nice character.

I think Terese could be a legend, and Imogen has the potential, too. It just depends on how they're written for and how long they stick around. I think Neighbours has had several characters over the last 5 years that could have become legendary if they had stuck around for several years - Jade and Rebecca for example.

I don't think any of those, apart from maybe Steph are legendary!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Izzy Hoyland was a legendary character - shame she wasn't there for longer.

So was Sarah Beaumont - come to think of it, which was a VERY surprising return IMO when she came back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'd have said Izzy, Steph, Rebecca all strong female characters, Steph I think is certainly legendary with the amount of story.
    Donna, Elle, Jade, all could have been legendary if they'd stuck around.
    Agree with what people are saying about Terese, I like her but she's getting a bit Rebecca-y at times.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul, Lou, Karl & Susan are Legends.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well Paul Robinson is quite legendary as he's been in it since the beginning and he is a bad character but quite humourous with it. Those sort of characters are always remembered. Also Karl and Susan are very legendary.
  • Absolute RotterAbsolute Rotter Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alf was the last ledge in Neighbours.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alf was the last ledge in Neighbours.

Alf who? Your not thinking of Home and away are you?
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyn Scully!
    Darcy
    Drew?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Steph and Izzy I think in the last 10 years. I think Shelia and Terese have potential to become legendary. Currently, I'd say Karl, Susan, Paul and Lou are the only ones worthy of legendary status. Toadie will not be remembered as legendary I don't think unless his storylines improve, as the op says.

Ultimate legend though is Harold. Oh I miss Harold.
  • Towie1977Towie1977 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legend by definition sort of means someone that has been around a while and has made a lasting impact - so if looking at the present cast then of course the only legends are going to be Karl, Susan, Toadie, Paul and Lou. The other ones simply haven't been around long enough and not as many people watch the show these days so its even harder to get to that status.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flick.:blush:
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For definite:
    Lyn Scully
    Izzy Hoyland
    Elle Robinson

Personally:
    Sky Mangel
    Janelle Timmins
  • NFAN 21NFAN 21 Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    benbenalen wrote: »
    Lyn Scully!
    Darcy
    Drew?

Darcy is an interesting one. Although he made a good 'villain' of sorts his name isn't usually mentioned all that often. Though a few may personally consider him a legend I suppose. It would be great to see Mark Rafferty return for Karl and Susans 20th anniversary this year to play Darcy.

I wonder if any one out there would consider Kate Ramsay as a legend as she did make an impact? Even if many disliked her she still had enough of an impact to be talked about and given attention by viewers who both loved and loathed her.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott and Charlene!