Should Football Pundits Be Given Basic Grammar Lessons?

JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They should shouldn't they? Before being inflicted on the public. Now I don't profess to be any sort of expert myself but I'm talking about the basics here. Using the word "seen" when it's obviously "saw" - as in say, "I seen the game last night". Saying "done" when it should be "did" - as in say, "they done well". Saying "them" when it should be "those". Did Mary Hopkin teach us nothing? Did she die in vain?

Anyway, I'm sure most of you will have got the gist of what I'm saying.

So, do you agree?

Comments

• Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    They should shouldn't they? Before being inflicted on the public. Now I don't profess to be any sort of expert myself but I'm talking about the basics here. Using the word "seen" when it's obviously "saw" - as in say, "I seen the game last night". Saying "done" when it should be "did" - as in say, "they done well". Saying "them" when it should be "those". Did Mary Hopkin teach us nothing? Did she die in vain.

Anyway, I'm sure most of you will have got the gist of what I'm saying.

So, do you agree?

Interesting take on things but I tend to disagree .... A lot of it is just regional accents and local phrases ... don't they say " he's went for the ball " in the North East ??

I get more annoyed when I hear intelligent people saying " I FINK this or FINK that " or " I FAWT that he was going to do that " .... Now that drives me bonkers , it's bad enough when numpteys say it but Russell Brand doing it all the time .....just don't get iwhy he does it , surely he knows he's doing it ??
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    For sure...
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unbelievable Jeff.....
  • BarnacleHead12BarnacleHead12 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    The problem is they'll still be thick. At least when they're ballsing up their grammar, everyone knows they're thick. If they sound quite nicely spoken, more people might actually fall for the s**t they come out with.
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Interesting take on things but I tend to disagree .... A lot of it is just regional accents and local phrases ... don't they say " he's went for the ball " in the North East ??

I get more annoyed when I hear intelligent people saying " I FINK this or FINK that " or " I FAWT that he was going to do that " .... Now that drives me bonkers , it's bad enough when numpteys say it but Russell Brand doing it all the time .....just don't get iwhy he does it , surely he knows he's doing it ??

It's not a regional thing at all. Most of them have a serious problem with their grammar. Gary Lineker is the most notable exception.
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Hopkin is dead! :o

Aren't most football pundits ex-players who may have spent more time kicking a ball around than attending lessons when they were young?
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are given them. At school, the same as everyone else.
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    It's not a regional thing at all. Most of them have a serious problem with their grammar. Gary Lineker is the most notable exception.

I said " a lot of it " not " all of it ". ...
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,963
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't expect too much in terms of perfect grammar from ex footballers or sports people in general really..

People would just say they are well media trained if they came across as word perfect.

Wish they didn't speak in clichés so often though.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    yes if they can be good at their previous jobs as footballers at least make an effort to do a good job in your current position
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Them pundits, eh.

Worra laugh. :)
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You wonder if they have went to school........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    They are given them. At school, the same as everyone else.

I doubt they have been given grammar lessons. But football scholars at academies should be - to make up for lost time.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sick as a parrot me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect too much in terms of perfect grammar from ex footballers or sports people in general really..

People would just say they are well media trained if they came across as word perfect.

Wish they didn't speak in clichés so often though.

As I explained in my o/p I don't expect "perfect grammar". I'm just talking about the very basics as one might expect from an eight year old.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7EYe42Lln4

Irish sport has proper pundits, the fellow in his rant is a barrister so his grammar is better than some
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What! And alienate millions of knuckle draggers?
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'You's'. My wife heard a teacher use it to her class the other day.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't that what school is for?

I would support lessons on how to avoid cliches in their commentary.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7EYe42Lln4

Irish sport has proper pundits, the fellow in his rant is a barrister so his grammar is better than some

I'd rather poor grammar than listen to the shite that prick comes out with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't that what school is for?

Sadly all the football pundits have left school some time ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Sounds like YOU are the one that needs lessons in basic English.

There's no such thing as 'correct' grammar, there's no 'should be...' - there's only standard and non-standard. People speak using local dialects, most dialects use non-standard English, therefore pundits use non-standard grammar when speaking.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, on the end of the day a bird in the hand is worth a chicken and egg and it ain't over till the fat lady cockledoodledoos
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather poor grammar than listen to the shite that prick comes out with.

you shouldn't speak about Joe like that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like YOU are the one that needs lessons in basic English.

There's no such thing as 'correct' grammar, there's no 'should be...' - there's only standard and non-standard. People speak using local dialects, most dialects use non-standard English, therefore pundits use non-standard grammar when speaking.

No such thing as correct grammar, eh. :D

I wonder if you'd be happy for your children to talk like Paul Merson?

Of course you wouldn't.