Options

Remember how BIG Big Brother once was...

SweetSyrupSweetSyrup Posts: 2,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The show is just a shadow of what it once was and now has a tiny, cult audience. What are your memories of how BIG BB once was with the public?

- 6 million viewers for REGULAR series evictions (CBB was the 'smaller' side series)
- Johnny Depp leaving Jade an eviction message
- Housemates coming out to £million newspaper deals. (Kind of flabbergasting to imagine these days - hm's are lucky to get a few thousand twitter followers!!)
- BB discussion on just about EVERY popular medium - bbc radio, papers, magazines, hm's endlessly featured on covers.

Different times!! What do you remember?

Comments

• Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Live Feed
    No music montages/music in episodes.
    Housemates who hadn't any or much media exposure.
    Live Feed
    Live Feed
    Marcus not shouting
    Davina
    Normal evictions and nominations
    Greats tasks
    Live Feed
    Logo that looked like it had been thought out.
    Proper spin off shows
    Proper online clips
    Better website
    Live Feed
    Better twists
    Likeable housemates

I could go on...
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And Dustin Hoffman playing Johnny BB3 on the Norton show.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Your thread has inspired me. I'm off to go and start 'Remember how BIG EastEnders once was....', 'Remember how BIG Coronation St once was...', 'Remember how BIG the News at Ten once was' etc, ignoring the many years that have passed, the rapid increase in choice and the evolution of tastes in that time.

Not to mention the fact that in BB's case there has been numerous scandals that inflicted damage to its popularity and the small matter of a move to a smaller channel.
  • Options
    KDDS07KDDS07 Posts: 5,861
    Forum Member
    I've watched BB all the way through from the beginning and I still love it just the way it is. It has evolved. The Audience has evolved. I don't want same old same old. Nothing stays the same and it shouldn't.
  • Options
    davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    I remember radio 1 Chris moyles show used to talk about it each day and even tell us who was up
  • Options
    Captain KipperCaptain Kipper Posts: 9,913
    Forum Member
    I remember during BB3, during finals week the TV Times had a front page of the final 4 HM's, and on Virgin Radio the presenters spent all day constantly ringing Alex's voting line to keep piling the votes to help him win as they didn't want Johnny to win :D...sadly it didn't work other than to help Kate to win.

That's how big BB was in those days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KDDS07 wrote: »
    I've watched BB all the way through from the beginning and I still love it just the way it is. It has evolved. The Audience has evolved. I don't want same old same old. Nothing stays the same and it shouldn't.

Evolved my arse.

The show is f****d because they felt the need to change it. I suppose you're the type of person who thinks it doesn't need Live Feed.
  • Options
    SweetSyrupSweetSyrup Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Your thread has inspired me. I'm off to go and start 'Remember how BIG EastEnders once was....', 'Remember how BIG Coronation St once was...', 'Remember how BIG the News at Ten once was' etc, ignoring the many years that have passed, the rapid increase in choice and the evolution of tastes in that time.

Not to mention the fact that in BB's case there has been numerous scandals that inflicted damage to its popularity and the small matter of a move to a smaller channel.

I think you've missed the point. It's not to say there haven't been general audience related issues which have resulted in viewership and decline in interest - there clearly have. Was merely a thread to reflect on the period where BB was a massive show and memories from that time.

For instance, I don't think tensions in BB5 would have escalated to the extent which they did if there hadn't potentially been so much at stake in the outside world (major paper deals, a couple years of actual fame and celebrity etc for the few that reached the end).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you work for Channel 5 or something? You're always defending this crap.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    Do you work for Channel 5 or something? You're always defending this crap.
    Do you work for Channel 4 or something? You're always attacking this programme that's clearly not for you.
  • Options
    od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    Can anyone remember posting on here back in the day, when your efforts would disappear onto page 2 or 3 in a matter of seconds?
  • Options
    HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    od hominem wrote: »
    Can anyone remember posting on here back in the day, when your efforts would disappear onto page 2 or 3 in a matter of seconds?

I remember the forum going in to absolute meltdown on eviction nights! Sometimes it would just completely crash and you had to keep refreshing in the hope that you would be able to steal another 5 mins of reading before it crashed again :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    od hominem wrote: »

Haha! Yes. This forum used to move quicker than show editors now do to promote a whiff of showmance...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hmeister wrote: »
    Evolved my arse.

The show is f****d because they felt the need to change it. I suppose you're the type of person who thinks it doesn't need Live Feed.

Wrong. I would love to see live feed---at least a few hours a day. But I also appreciate how expensive it is these days to run a television series. I tuned in to a lot of "live feed" where everyone was sitting around not saying anything, picking their teeth or sleeping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember the old ch4 forums, they were brilliant.
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member

Yes I have watched it from the start too it has evolved, but sadly as much as I want to do I cannot evolve with the show as it is now, even so I keep watching it as for some reason I just cannot let go :confused:

In the old days the shopping tasks were very important and we got to see who put the shopping list together who was panicking because they wanted chocolate biscuits, ciggies etc, who couldn't care less etc. those simple weekly chalk-board moments taught me a lot about the HM's, how they interacted, who was dominant, who was selfish etc

Also a biggie for me was no contact from the outside!, no F and F nominations !

For the first few series we even used to hold BB parties :blush: friends would gather for the final night and watch it together....it sounds so unbelievable now.
  • Options
    HazzaGrazzaHazzaGrazza Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the old ch4 forums, they were brilliant.

I originally posted on the CH4 forum and was distraught when they shut it down.....until I found DS that was!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I originally posted on the CH4 forum and was distraught when they shut it down.....until I found DS that was!

Same here, thank gawd for digispy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    Yes I have watched it from the start too it has evolved, but sadly as much as I want to do I cannot evolve with the show as it is now, even so I keep watching it as for some reason I just cannot let go :confused:

In the old days the shopping tasks were very important and we got to see who put the shopping list together who was panicking because they wanted chocolate biscuits, ciggies etc, who couldn't care less etc. those simple weekly chalk-board moments taught me a lot about the HM's, how they interacted, who was dominant, who was selfish etc

Also a biggie for me was no contact from the outside!, no F and F nominations !

For the first few series we even used to hold BB parties :blush: friends would gather for the final night and watch it together....it sounds so unbelievable now.

I understand what you're saying. But why aren't you still holding BB parties with friends? I am. We love it. And F and F nominations and other new twists IMO also allow us to see a lot about how a housemate interacts with the others. Were we not delightfully 'shocked' at how insulted some of the 'entitled' housemates were when they were put up for nomination in this series? They are just different events---but same results.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Same here. Do you remember when the channel 4 forums used to from time to time say how the Digital Spy forum were so vicious? I used to come over here from time to time to check out the 'viciousness' for myself. For me, the forums are a really big part of BB.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SweetSyrup wrote: »
    The show is just a shadow of what it once was and now has a tiny, cult audience. What are your memories of how BIG BB once was with the public?

- 6 million viewers for REGULAR series evictions (CBB was the 'smaller' side series)
    - Johnny Depp leaving Jade an eviction message
    - Housemates coming out to £million newspaper deals. (Kind of flabbergasting to imagine these days - hm's are lucky to get a few thousand twitter followers!!)
    - BB discussion on just about EVERY popular medium - bbc radio, papers, magazines, hm's endlessly featured on covers.

Different times!! What do you remember?

Who had £million newspaper deals? :confused:

In Dean's book, written after bb2, it was already being said that BB closed more doors than it opened.

And BB was endlessly featured on covers only at the trashy and celeb gossip end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand what you're saying. But why aren't you still holding BB parties with friends? I am. We love it. And F and F nominations and other new twists IMO also allow us to see a lot about how a housemate interacts with the others. Were we not delightfully 'shocked' at how insulted some of the 'entitled' housemates were when they were put up for nomination in this series? They are just different events---but same results.

These days, no one I know wants to watch BB or even to hear anything at all about BB.
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going through a hardcore nostalgia time these last few days but today in particular and yes I remember the old big brother, it literally was the event of the year where it seemed like the entire country was involved and it was epic. Sadly things change :(
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member

My friends have given up on BB so it would be a party for one :(:p

I can see what you mean about seeing how the HM's interact with the added twists but I really am a stubborn old-schooler and prefer just to watch the HM's interact with each other on a daily basis, just normal interactions, regular conversations although I can understand that BB viewers would probably find this boring these days.

I do admit to being gleeful at seeing certain HM's up for eviction due to twists so maybe I have evolved very slightly :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"I'm a Celebrity" is still doing pretty well. The most recent one had the second highest series average ever.