Options

Passport Nightmare

2»

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using the opportunity of a thread like this to be critical of those asking for mere advice is never taken well.

Look at this statement being critical of those being critical, bothersome isn't it...
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    I'll agree with the person recommending contacting your MP. We had troubles recently and we were getting very close to travel time. An email to our local MP resulted in one of his assistants ringing me within the hour and passports turning up 2 working days later :)

certainly wont do any harm to try !

Hope you get it sorted in time :)
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can apply for a replacement passport 6 months before the old one runs out. You don't loose anything as your new passport has 10 yrs + a few months. THis time of year is a nightmare for passports so I got mine sorted in November. Submitted it through the Post Office and back it came about 2 weeks later.

As the OP has found out. If you leave it to the last minute you may not be going on holiday. By jumping up and down and getting your MP involved just means that someone else will suffer instead.

All Government departments are the same. If you leave it till the last minute they are ALWAYS busy. Do it in plenty of time and it's sorted.

Not alot of help to the OP but they can always head to the Pasport Office and sit and wait ....
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    QFour wrote: »
    You can apply for a replacement passport 6 months before the old one runs out. You don't loose anything as your new passport has 10 yrs + a few months. THis time of year is a nightmare for passports so I got mine sorted in November. Submitted it through the Post Office and back it came about 2 weeks later.

As the OP has found out. If you leave it to the last minute you may not be going on holiday. By jumping up and down and getting your MP involved just means that someone else will suffer instead.

All Government departments are the same. If you leave it till the last minute they are ALWAYS busy. Do it in plenty of time and it's sorted.

Not alot of help to the OP but they can always head to the Pasport Office and sit and wait ....

To be fair some people dont have the luxury of sending off passports in advance (I needed mine for work). We submitted ours well in advance of the 3 weeks suggested at the time (before all this hit the press) and also got a text stating a 3 week turnaround. It was only after 6 weeks that we started to panic.

So yes, if possible send early, but for some that isnt possible ;)

Im sure the OP will be very glad to hear that your situation was different and that you got your passport sorted though ;-)