Options

Do you feel sympathy for Robin Williams

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you feel sympathy for Robin Williams and not for Peaches Geldof?
There seems to be a lot of sympathy for Robin Williams and there was quite a lot of bitterness towards PG ?
I was wondering why ?
Both had an addiction, alcohol or drugs.
Both suffered with depression.
Both had children.
Both are now sadly gone.
There seems to be a lot of support and affection toward Robin Williams, I was just curious to know what the difference was, or even if there was one?

Comments

• Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Both were troubled. I have sympathy for both.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for them both. Mental illness is terrible to deal with. It's sad that someone who always appeared so lively and cheerful couldn't handle his life anymore. I don't really know much about Peaches, but I have sympathy for people with addictions.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sympathy for the dead is pointless, but I am sad for the loss of any life before its time...

Their families are the ones who get to live the rest of their lives with their grief and thinking "could I have done more?" "could I have stopped him/her?" so regarding sympathy, mine goes to the ones left behind.

RW and PG suffered illnesses and died through them. RIP to them both.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you feel sympathy for Robin Williams and not for Peaches Geldof?
    There seems to be a lot of sympathy for Robin Williams and there was quite a lot of bitterness towards PG ?
    How do you conclude that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a look at some of the www it's not hard to find?
    You didn't see anything ?
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Both were troubled. I have sympathy for both.

This

Also have sympathy for their families
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member

Oh there was! She was vilified by countless columnists and public opinion in the media!

OP, the only reason(s) I can think of is that A) Peaches was hypocritical by advocating attached parenting etc when it was clear that she was shooting up whilst her children were in the other room. B) She was famous by association, no real talent of her own and that doesn't always go down well and C) She was seen as a spoilt little rich kid.

Both cases are extremely sad and shows that depression and problems know no bounds. I have sympathy for both but I think the reasons I have outlined are perhaps the reason why one case is viewed far more sympathetically than the other.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have a look at some of the www it's not hard to find?
    You didn't see anything ?
    I just saw a young girl/mother who lost the will to live and I was saddened.
    I didn't absorb all the judgement and hatred that you allude to.
    I hate all the "celeb" gossip shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh there was! She was vilified by countless columnists and public opinion in the media!

OP, the only reason(s) I can think of is that A) Peaches was hypocritical by advocating attached parenting etc when it was clear that she was shooting up whilst her children were in the other room. B) She was famous by association, no real talent of her own and that doesn't always go down well and C) She was seen as a spoilt little rich kid.

Both cases are extremely sad and shows that depression and problems know no bounds. I have sympathy for both but I think the reasons I have outlined are perhaps the reason why one case is viewed far more sympathetically than the other.

Thanks for reply.
    I was looking at it in terms of perception and the way people view illness as such.
    As I think they both had depression and neither could cope.
    Peaches is considered selfish for what she did, but does RW make him less selfish? They were both ill.
    Just to say, I've lost a parent through suicide, so I'm not being a judge, I'm curious to see why people see suicide differently, if indeed they do.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Has Peaches' death been confirmed as a suicide? I was under the impression that it was an accidental death.

I'll be honest and admit that I didn't know she suffered from depression either. She was one of those rather pointless "celebrities" who seemed to be famous for no reason and I took no interest in reading about her. I'll also admit that I wasn't exactly sympathetic towards her due to the fact that she was taking heroin in the presence of her children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    Has Peaches' death been confirmed as a suicide? I was under the impression that it was an accidental death.

I'll be honest and admit that I didn't know she suffered from depression either. She was one of those rather pointless "celebrities" who seemed to be famous for no reason and I took no interest in reading about her. I'll also admit that I wasn't exactly sympathetic towards her due to the fact that she was taking heroin in the presence of her children.
    No as far as I know it has never been defined as suicide, I was talking about depression and how it makes you feel.
    The difference between how you are viewed if your depressed.
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Thanks for reply.
    I was looking at it in terms of perception and the way people view illness as such.
    As I think they both had depression and neither could cope.
    Peaches is considered selfish for what she did, but does RW make him less selfish? They were both ill.
    Just to say, I've lost a parent through suicide, so I'm not being a judge, I'm curious to see why people see suicide differently, if indeed they do.

I think they have both been judged on how they lived rather than how they died and one has garnered more sympathy than the other due to that.
    Flat Matt wrote: »

It has been established that Peaches had lapsed and gone back to drugs. I don't think depression was specifically mentioned in the case of Peaches but she obviously was an unhappy individual after having lost her mum so young and by choosing to take drugs for whatever reason. In my opinion, suicide is NOT selfish because the person who takes their own life is in a place of utter despair and is unable to think of others (selfishness is when someone chooses not to think of others).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who suffers from depression and takes their own life deserves sympathy, I know how close I was at one point. It's not a selfish act just desperation.

I have had two family members commit suicide.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. I feel sorry for anyone who commits suicide.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sympathy with a person who purposely take their own life, I don't have sympathy with junkies who routinely inject drugs into their bodies for pleasure and on one fateful day they are mortally surprised that their ravaged and f***ed up body finally gives up the ghost .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    Anyone who suffers from depression and takes their own life deserves sympathy, I know how close I was at one point. It's not a selfish act just desperation.

I have had two family members commit suicide.
    I'm sorry and hope you were able to get some support and are ok.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I feel bad for them both. Mental illness is terrible to deal with. It's sad that someone who always appeared so lively and cheerful couldn't handle his life anymore. I don't really know much about Peaches, but I have sympathy for people with addictions.
    Sorry I missed your post, yes both were addicts, RW to alcohol and PG to drugs.
    Both very unhappy and addictive people, yet in reality both had everything to live for.
    So both depressive people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably because Peaches is responsible for her death in that she chose to take heroin in the first place. God knows why after what happened to her mum. Robin never chose to get depression.

It's like if two people die in car accidents and one of them was drink driving. Both deaths are terrible but one could easily have been avoided.
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I don't have sympathy with junkies who routinely inject drugs into their bodies for pleasure

You think an addict takes drugs for pleasure?
    Far from it. Have you seen an addict rattling? The physical pain and mental anguish caused by not taking the drug. There's no pleasure, only relief.

A close family member has been an addict for over a decade and I have nothing but sympathy for him.

Pleasure? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they have both been judged on how they lived rather than how they died and one has garnered more sympathy than the other due to that.

It has been established that Peaches had lapsed and gone back to drugs. I don't think depression was specifically mentioned in the case of Peaches but she obviously was an unhappy individual after having lost her mum so young and by choosing to take drugs for whatever reason. In my opinion, suicide is NOT selfish because the person who takes their own life is in a place of utter despair and is unable to think of others (selfishness is when someone chooses not to think of others).
    Both of them were addicts in their own ways though?
    To be addictive to either alcohol or drugs so much it takes over your live then in theory your not really a happy person.
    It must be horrible to be in so much pain you want to, or don't consider the fact you may die.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel sympathy for those left behind.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

I will readily admit that I have real difficulty understanding why anyone would start using hard drugs. I have no personal experience of them, as all I ever did was a bit of weed in my youth.

I have known people who started messing with hard drugs and every single one of them is damaged, both physically and mentally - and over a fairly short period of time. I really don't get it, in the same way that many people do not understand mental illness.

As a manic depressive, I do understand mental illness and why people commit suicide, or attempt it, because I attempted it myself as a teenager. Depression is a horrible illness. At the end of the day, your own mind is attacking you and it's hard to stand up to that.

People try to rationalise mental illness and depression and that's the first mistake. I suppose it must be difficult for someone whose mind functions perfectly to be able to understand clinical depression because the illness is totally irrational and that's the problem.
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All suicide is upsetting, but even worse than this are cases of teenage suicide. Some kids take their own lives at 13, even younger. Robin Williams achieved an awful lot in his life, that's why everyone is talking about him. A 13 year old who commits suicide will never have the chances he had, and that is heartbreaking.

Think about all victims of suicide, not just the famous ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boofie wrote: »
    Probably because Peaches is responsible for her death in that she chose to take heroin in the first place. God knows why after what happened to her mum. Robin never chose to get depression.

It's like if two people die in car accidents and one of them was drink driving. Both deaths are terrible but one could easily have been avoided.
    Apologies as I don't know how to link and probably wouldn't know where to start anyway, but there is lots of info out there about alcohol abuse and it being a bigger killer than drugs in the long run.
    RW was an alcoholic for many years, and could that have made him depressed or was it depression that made him drink?
    Then could the same be said of PG did depression make her turn to drugs or did the drug make her depressed?
    Either way I'm sad they are both gone.
  • Options
    felixrexfelixrex Posts: 7,307
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I have sympathy with a person who purposely take their own life, I don't have sympathy with junkies who routinely inject drugs into their bodies for pleasure and on one fateful day they are mortally surprised that their ravaged and f***ed up body finally gives up the ghost .

The fact that you think an addict takes drugs for 'pleasure' shows how much you know.