Hollyoaks character axed ahead of their first scenes?

bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It looks like the upcoming Brendan Brady 'look-a-like' Sammy has been axed before he's even appeared on screens. All articles and pictures of him have been removed on DS and he doesn't appear in next weeks DS spoilers now. It looks like Hollyoaks bosses decided to get rid of him after many Stendan fans were angry at the decision to introduce a Brendan look-a-like.

It's a shame as I was interested to see where they were going to take his character and, as far as I know, he was only going to be a minor character. What does everyone else think?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to seeing his character too and I bet that the axed scenes have only been replaced by more Freddie rubbish
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    The Stendan loons aren't that powerful.
  • EEforestEEforest Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank god for that! The storyline sounded awful!
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this has happened it proves Kirkwood spends too much time reading forums and not enough time producing the show. Fans should NEVER dictate the direction of the programme. No wonder things are so disjointed. People on sites like this are a tiny, tiny minority. While its fine to note their feedback it should never be acted on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this has happened it proves Kirkwood spends too much time reading forums and not enough time producing the show. Fans should NEVER dictate the direction of the programme. No wonder things are so disjointed. People on sites like this are a tiny, tiny minority. While its fine to note their feedback it should never be acted on.

If anything, Kirkwood is seeking ideas and feedback from Facebook and Twitter fans. Certainly not from here, he has been going against everything said on here. He is only interested in the shock factor. Apparently, that's what keeps them different from the rest (their words).
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was going to say this but you've summed it up so well.
  • ChelseaEllieChelseaEllie Posts: 16,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would assume this would be common, just we wouldn't hear about it as much in other cases. We are aware as Ste fans clearly jumped on this story, often you see stuff on wave guide that you don't see in the show, with 6-8 weeks ahead story lines are fluid and may change if they can't see where it's going or when they edit it the story isn't what they want
  • FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a terrible idea in the first place, so I'm glad they realized it and decided to scrap it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

spot on. excellent post. i couldn't agree more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, a very tiny group of people are vocal on social media, look at supernatural fans, supernatural wins most social media awards as the fans band together and are very focused, yet it's viewing figures in the uk us tiny, to the point that not only was it shown 8 months behind the USA, it's now been dropped in the uk, yet is constantly trends and their stars have more followers on twitter than viewing figures in the USA
  • pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry for the actor that was meant to be playing him.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    piggypug wrote: »

Yes, although it was an awful storyline and would distract from the more serious storylines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    piggypug wrote: »

He would be paid no matter what
  • SonicmfcSonicmfc Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank GOD jeez that would have been absolutely horrendous
  • vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is when you know stuff is starting to go wrong. HO done this a lot in 2010 - they shot a tonne of episodes using Logan from HO Later then axed him and quickly drafted in Ethan (WHY?!?!) to replace him. They cut Mandy and Warren in to episodes days before they aired whihc had a ripple effect and ruined storylines for weeks on end.

They added Riley and Lindseys deaths days before they aired and Silas' return was added because scenes were removed. I guess it's the advantage of having an independent production but the stuff we get in its place is usually dire. The actor may be under contract and appear as something else though like when Lorettas child killer storyline was cut they had the actress play a crazy nurse for a few episodes.
  • Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member
    There's no way that BK gives a rats arse about the opinions of Brendan or Stendan fans, so whatever the reasons are for cutting the scenes, it'll be nothing to do with that.

Maybe he just realised it was a stupid gimmick that did nothing to service any of the plots, and thought better of it.

Disappointing for the actor, I suppose, but he'll get paid regardless.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like the upcoming Brendan Brady 'look-a-like' Sammy has been axed before he's even appeared on screens. All articles and pictures of him have been removed on DS and he doesn't appear in next weeks DS spoilers now. It looks like Hollyoaks bosses decided to get rid of him after many Stendan fans were angry at the decision to introduce a Brendan look-a-like.

It's a shame as I was interested to see where they were going to take his character and, as far as I know, he was only going to be a minor character. What does everyone else think?

The actor posted this on Twitter on 13th August which must be related:

https://twitter.com/Andymcguire4/status/499534646410248192

It's a shame for him but these things happen on Hollyoaks. They axe storylines and reshoot things a lot more than the other soaps; things like the fire week in 2010, most of summer 2012, and the Loretta storyline in 2009.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait, so there was an uproar from Stendan fans because an actor looked like their 'hero' Brendan Brady? Good god, some people need to get a life it seems
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member

Yes, fans should never have that much power. If it is what has happened Kirkwood is on a slippery slope.

Of course it is possible they have just reviewed the scenes and independently decided they didn't work or they have just postponed it.
  • sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Yes, fans should never have that much power. If it is what has happened Kirkwood is on a slippery slope.

Of course it is possible they have just reviewed the scenes and independently decided they didn't work or they have just postponed it.

Hopefully the scenes just didn't work for whatever reason and were cut.

I agree fans should not that much power, especially when the character in question was played by an actor who left the soap voluntarily. Sad for some fans I know but producers can't make decisions that way.
  • mojo5000mojo5000 Posts: 54,086
    Forum Member
    Woah, hang on - where did the "it's the Stendan fans' fault" mob mentality come from? You do realise it was a minority of people that moaned and you know most of those awful Stendan fans were quite interested and saw the funny side.

Things are cut from episodes all the time for various issues. It looked like a minor 'comedy' plot within a episode focused on Nancy's rape. Maybe it wasn't deemed appropriate in tone. Maybe there's been a timing issue - too much to cram in.
  • FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. People's opinion have nothing to do with it, imo. They decided to cut it because they decided to cut it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt we will ever know what his plot was
  • OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    Wait, so there was an uproar from Stendan fans because an actor looked like their 'hero' Brendan Brady? Good god, some people need to get a life it seems

Any character that is somewhat dark is apparently Hollyoaks' replacement for Brendan Brady. First it was Freddie and now people are trying to say that Cameron is their Brendan replacement. It's stupid.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I doubt we will ever know what his plot was

Probably a love triangle with Ste and JP.