Advice Needed regarding NTSC dvd

FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I am looking to buy this dvd:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teen-Wolf-Season-1-2-NTSC/dp/B00BXLBYVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375291383&sr=8-2&keywords=Teen+Wolf

However...it's stating NTSC for region 2 which is weird as it is normally PAL. All my TV's in the house are flat screens, some flatter then others and my DVD players are no older then 6yrs. Although I am gonna change the older ones in the next several months. If I brought this dvd...would it work?

I cannot imagine Amazon would advertise this for the UK and knowing there may be issues. I've noticed this a few months back but then I saw a review that really grabbed me. Advice please...

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yeah it will work as long as your tv is NTSC compatible which I would very surprised if it wasn't, unless its really really old.
    Its not uncommon for region 2 NTSC DVDs, as there are quite a few that have been released over the years.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    More likely a mistake in the description
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Could be an NTSC transfer used for the UK DVD perhaps?
    Japan also uses NTSC for DVD and is Region 2.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

Possible but the description does state
    "This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe" and there are other DVDs described as Region 2 NTSC e.g.
    http://www.amazon.com/Chariots-Fire-Region-NTSC-Audio/dp/7531824531
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sex-City-Series-Region-Format/dp/B00005IBA0

As already said as long as the TV handles NTSC then it should play.
    In any event Amazon have a good returns policy
  • peter_jenkins2peter_jenkins2 Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »

Unlikely .
    Many music dvd's released in the UK are NTSC and there are a few tv shows that were released on region 2 that are NTSC including the first season of the original Charlies Angels series .
    I guess they didn't want to spend cash to create PAL masters .
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    They possibly just released the American discs over here with a region code change.
  • FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well as I stated in my opening post my TV's are all flatscreens and I think the oldest is about 4-5yrs old. The newest TV was brought Dec 12 and it's 3D. so none of the are ancient at all so I suspect my TV's are new enough to accept the NTSC format.

We have 8 TV's in our house but I only use 3 of them and 2 of them are the newest so going based on all your advices it should work ok. I have however contacted Amazon and they said that if there has been a mistake and it wont play here...they will remove all items with that format from the site and purchase new stock.

And the DVD player wont even come into it right? So long as the region is 2 it shall work on the DVD player with no issues?
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FCUK wrote: »
    ..... I have however contacted Amazon and they said that if there has been a mistake and it wont play here...they will remove all items with that format from the site and purchase new stock.

And the DVD player wont even come into it right? So long as the region is 2 it shall work on the DVD player with no issues?

FWIW I would order it and the chances are that it will play OK.
    If it doesn't Amazon will refund without any problems and provide the pre-paid returns label.

There seems to me to be no other alternative.
    If you do let us know what happens.
  • FCUKFCUK Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll let you know, don't worry. I checked, can buy it from Sainsbury's also. So not all is lost.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    FCUK wrote: »
    So I am looking to buy this dvd:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Teen-Wolf-Season-1-2-NTSC/dp/B00BXLBYVO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375291383&sr=8-2&keywords=Teen+Wolf

However...it's stating NTSC for region 2 which is weird as it is normally PAL. ..
    There is, to be exact, NO such thing as an "NTSC DVD" - in the sense that what is on the DVD will be EITHER 25fps or 30fps component video data. The DVD player (itself) may create NTSC for 30fps DVDs - but only on its composite video connector.

If the DVD player is connected to the TV via either of RGB or HDMI this bypasses NTSC (or PAL) entirely. The only question is whether the TV can cope with 30fps input - and this is almost certain on any flat-panel (and indeed those made in the last 20++ years!)
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    There is, to be exact, NO such thing as an "NTSC DVD" - in the sense that what is on the DVD will be EITHER 25fps or 30fps component video data. The DVD player (itself) may create NTSC for 30fps DVDs - but only on its composite video connector.

If the DVD player is connected to the TV via either of RGB or HDMI this bypasses NTSC (or PAL) entirely. The only question is whether the TV can cope with 30fps input - and this is almost certain on any flat-panel (and indeed those made in the last 20++ years!)

While neither of the terms NTSC or PAL actually refer to how many lines there are in the picture the terms are used universally all over the world by both hardware and software manufacturers to differentiate between 525 and 625 lines.

Once you start getting pedantic it leads to talk of 3:2 pulldown and other things irrelevant to the end user
    Forum Member
    While neither of the terms NTSC or PAL actually refer to how many lines there are in the picture the terms are used universally all over the world by both hardware and software manufacturers to differentiate between 525 and 625 lines.
    I disagree with you that NTSC and PAL are used universally. The (also imprecise) "Region 1 DVD" and "Region 2 DVD" terms seem to be used much more often!

I personally prefer to refer to call them "North American DVDs" or 30fps or 60Hz ones.

If you insist on "NTSC DVD" you then immediately get into the awkward fact that using either RGB SCART or HDMI to the TV renders the NTSC or PAL description irrelevant!
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Once you start getting pedantic it leads to talk of 3:2 pulldown and other things irrelevant to the end user

Nothing to do with 525 and 625 lines.

DVD's intended for NTSC countries are generally 720 x 480 29.97fps. DVD's intended for PAL countries are generally 720 x 576 25fps. This is the same standard as PAL 625 analogue (576 visible lines) and DVB-T.

This applies irrespective of whether the aspect ratio is 4:3 or 16:9 (they simply use differing pixel aspect ratios)

Here's the list of usable mpeg2 resolutions for both frame rates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Virtually all modern DVD players can output "NTSC" DVDs as PAL 625 line 50 Hz anyway. Look for the menu option PAL, NTSC, Auto.
    Only on the cheap imported players .
    Quality players from the likes of Panasonic and Pioneer output NTSC as NTSC or PAL 60 - in both cases 525 lines
    BKM wrote: »
    I disagree with you that NTSC and PAL are used universally. The (also imprecise) "Region 1 DVD" and "Region 2 DVD" terms seem to be used much more often!
    I have hundreds of US imported dvd's and I can count one two hands the ones that don't say NTSC on the back .
    Nothing to do with 525 and 625 lines.
    Isn't that what I said ?
    However , check out practically every dvd in the world or every dvd player / recorder manual and you will see PAL/NTSC mentioned - even on the setup menus of the hardware .

Here's another dvd labelled NTSC that's not even out yet.
    Maybe you should let Amazon know their error.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Strangers-Live-DVD-NTSC/dp/B00E5ZFE66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375475715&sr=8-1&keywords=dvd+ntsc
  • LumstormLumstorm Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Virtually all modern DVD players can output "NTSC" DVDs as PAL 625 line 50 Hz anyway. Look for the menu option PAL, NTSC, Auto.

My DVD players have never been able to output PAL from a NTSC disc,apart from a Samsung I had that could do full conversion and the picture quality suffered from jagged lines with conversion.

Also if there no such thing as NTSC or PAL why do all my discs say NTSC or PAL on the back my PS3 will also refuse to play a disc if it's PAL formatted so not every player can play either format. While pretty much all PAL machines will play NTSC. NTSC machines don't tend to handle PAL.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it's IRRELEVANT what your tv's are, all that matter is that your DVD play the NTSC disc, sand that means it has to be a MUTLI REGION PLAYER!

never heard of modern dvd players outputting NTSC!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only on the cheap imported players .
    Quality players from the likes of Panasonic and Pioneer output NTSC as NTSC or PAL 60 - in both cases 525 lines

I have hundreds of US imported dvd's and I can count one two hands the ones that don't say NTSC on the back .

Isn't that what I said ?
    However , check out practically every dvd in the world or every dvd player / recorder manual and you will see PAL/NTSC mentioned - even on the setup menus of the hardware .

Here's another dvd labelled NTSC that's not even out yet.
    Maybe you should let Amazon know their error.

I think you are somewhat confused, I already said DVD's with the NTSC logo will have 480p or 480i content (that's 480 lines), Ones with the PAL logo will be either 576p or 576i (576 lines). A Nintendo Will using the highest quality component output setting outputs 480p at 29.97fps same as a NTSC DVD.

Not sure where you are getting 625 from 625 lines are used for PAL analogue transmissions, there is only 576 lines of picture information. DVD is a digital storage media almost identical to DVB-T and in PAL countries nearly always has 576 lines. If you were weird enough to connect a UK DVD players analogue output to a UHF PAL modulator you would get a standard 625 PAL output signal, just like broadcast PAL it will still only have 576 lines of picture info.

It's no coincidence that 720 x 576 x 25 = 10368000 and 720 x 480 x 30 also equals 10368000 (both NTSC and PAL based DVD's have the same data transfer requirements)

DVDVideo at 25fps mpeg2 compressed have only 2 allowable line counts 576 or 288, 29.97 mpeg2 compressed 480 or 240 lines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the content of a random 4:3 PAL DVD from my collection. Not a sign of 625 lines :eek:

General
    Complete name
    Format : MPEG-PS
    File size : 1 024 MiB
    Duration : 28mn 30s
    Overall bit rate mode : Variable
    Overall bit rate : 5 021 Kbps

Video
    ID : 224 (0xE0)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 4 473 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 9 800 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.431
    Stream size : 912 MiB (89%)

Audio
    ID : 189 (0xBD)-129 (0x81)
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Mode extension : CM (complete main)
    Muxing mode : DVD-Video
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 448 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 91.4 MiB (9%)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Not sure where you are getting 625 from 625 lines are used for PAL analogue transmissions, there is only 576 lines of picture information.

Not sure why you think it's of any importance?, 576 visible lines is 625 line standard, just as 480 visible lines is 525 line standard.

The two standards are still called 625 and 525, just as they always were - even though that was never the visible number of lines.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why you think it's of any importance?, 576 visible lines is 625 line standard, just as 480 visible lines is 525 line standard.

The two standards are still called 625 and 525, just as they always were - even though that was never the visible number of lines.

Which is totally irrelevant to a DVD. :eek: Bit like saying DVB-T is PAL because it's 576i at 25fps.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Which is totally irrelevant to a DVD. :eek: Bit like saying DVB-T is PAL because it's 576i at 25fps.

Which is completely true - it's PAL standard, just like DVD.
    Forum Member
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    Also if there no such thing as NTSC or PAL why do all my discs say NTSC or PAL on the back my PS3 will also refuse to play a disc if it's PAL formatted so not every player can play either format. While pretty much all PAL machines will play NTSC. NTSC machines don't tend to handle PAL.
    There is nothing to do with NTSC anywhere on an "NTSC DVD" - just as there is no PAL encoding on a "PAL DVD" ! In both cases what is on the DVD is MPEG2 COMPONENT VIDEO files. As others have said the pixel framing will match what is normal on either NTSC or PAL TVs - but this is nothing to do with colour encoding!

The DVD PLAYER *MIGHT* add some NTSC or PAL colour encoding. But even then these days it probably will not! It won't for ANY of its RGB, Component or HDMI connections to the TV - only bog-standard Composite (and RF if provided) !