Options

I don't get this meme

WhiskyrumWhiskyrum Posts: 1,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
https://twitter.com/meninisttweet/status/685960289779593216

It's been posted on facebook loads and I feel stupid for not getting it....

Would someone care to explain:confused:

Comments

• Options
    RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it about making a u-turn? He turns back to hear what was said, really fast, in a temper? I don't understand all the "LMFAOOOOO!" crap on there, because it really wasn't that funny.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say self inflicted car crash.

If you're going - just go. If you turn around for just a mumble it shows lack of conviction - now you can neither go back nor forward - and just have to wait for the inevitable car crash.
  • Options
    Monkey_MooMonkey_Moo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    I'd say self inflicted car crash.

If you're going - just go. If you turn around for just a mumble it shows lack of conviction - now you can neither go back nor forward - and just have to wait for the inevitable car crash.

I think you are over analysing it.

Most of these 'meme's' are created by insufferable social media obsessed teenagers with a rudimentary grasp of humour and photoshop.

The other thing about meme's is that often there is nothing to really get. There is a desire for certain Internet types to jump if the bandwagon, they don't want to be left out of the joke and 'in' with it. It's then repeated with increasing smugness.

That's why I don't use Facebook much anymore, and never use Twitter.
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I suppose the "joke" is that it looks like the lorry has turned it's head like "What?"

I doubt it's any more intelligent than that.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose the "joke" is that it looks like the lorry has turned it's head like "What?"

This was my immediate take. Don't get all that 'no conviction' analysis.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Something to do with sticking a jack-knife in her tunnel? :confused:
  • Options
    bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Why is it called a ‘meme’;

…. is it derived from ‘me, me, me’ or something like that ? :confused:
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relly wrote: »
    He turns back to hear what was said, really fast, in a temper?
    I suppose the "joke" is that it looks like the lorry has turned it's head like "What?".

These. No more, no less.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too. No need to think more deeply than that....
  • Options
    WhiskyrumWhiskyrum Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkey_Moo wrote: »
    I think you are over analysing it.

Most of these 'meme's' are created by insufferable social media obsessed teenagers with a rudimentary grasp of humour and photoshop.

The other thing about meme's is that often there is nothing to really get. There is a desire for certain Internet types to jump if the bandwagon, they don't want to be left out of the joke and 'in' with it. It's then repeated with increasing smugness.

That's why I don't use Facebook much anymore, and never use Twitter.

Meme's have been around since the birth of the internet
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Originally I think something to do with memorable, or mnemonic, or something similar,
    edit: I guess not, all hail the infallible deity Dawkins :p though I'd also add 'mimeograph' as either a contender or inspiration since I remember that from school and the fuss about it putting the stonemasons and engravers out of work.
    edit2: yes, predates publication of the book which I had no idea was that old, I don't think I ever heard of it or Dawkins before the 90s though.
    What it ended up as, thanks to the pursuit of friend-counts and follower-totals.
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »

"The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα pronounced [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "imitated thing", from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, "to imitate", from μῖμος mimos, "mime") coined by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976) as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catchphrases, fashion, and the technology of building arches."
  • Options
    Javier_deVivreJavier_deVivre Posts: 1,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I look at the picture, all I can think about is just how much of a pain in the arse recovering that truck will be.

Bet the driver needed a clean pair of underwear, especially if the trailer is filled with flammable liquid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whiskyrum wrote: »
    It's been posted on facebook loads and I feel stupid for not getting it....
    Hopefully others have adequately answered your question but the real reason for it appearing on twitter (and probably also facebook) is to sell branded hoodies and tops. Some even have beards printed on them, presumably part of some 'meninist' thing that I clearly have not comprehended, unless it's one of those actually-it-isnt ironic things.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the word 'meme' sets my teeth on edge. People use it all the time now but how many would be able to define it? Even after three psychology degrees, I can't (maybe I have a meme block?) Prize to the one who can do this most effectively. Humour preferred!
  • Options
    St DabeocSt Dabeoc Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα pronounced [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "imitated thing", from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, "to imitate", from μῖμος mimos, "mime") coined by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976) as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catchphrases, fashion, and the technology of building arches."

must get my eyes tested. I read it as "irritating thing"
  • Options
    Monkey_MooMonkey_Moo Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member

They certainly have.

'All your base are belong to us' - I remember that back in the 90's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monkey_Moo wrote: »
    They certainly have.

'All your base are belong to us' - I remember that back in the 90's.

On the other hand these went around because for one reason or another they were actually popular and people personally forwarded the things because they thought they were worth forwarding* - now they get single-click auto-spammed on to as many twitter feeds and facebook pages as someone thinks they can get away with.

* that said we all knew someone who would just forward everything that turned up, if you want to know who keeps getting infected by opening those unexpected invoices in their email and seriously did anyone ever see 'bank error in your favour' outside of a game of monopoly, those people are the ones who keep the viruses, botnets, trojans and phishing going, string them up!
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 'meme' concept seems a bit precious and overly high-brow to me but maybe it's because I'm in some ways simple and subdivide my head into 'bloody funny' 'hmm!..' and 'not that funny' things (as I see them, of course). Head can't abstract much more than that.
    The thingy in the OP fell into the 'hmm!..' category. Not side-splitting but with a certain charm.:D

Still, don't rely on me for sound judgement on or delivery of humour. My 'wide-mouthed frog' joke never goes down well at parties. They always laughed when my dad told it.

Makes a change from funny cats, I suppose.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    My 'wide-mouthed frog' joke never goes down well at parties.

Ah, one of my favourite jokes. Only works with a good joke teller and imitation of the frog though. For some reason it cracks me up and I'm not sure if it's because of the joke itself. I think it must be because when it was told to me and my Mum (by my sister at the dinner table) my Mum couldn't control her laughter and we all fell about. It reminds me of those silly times :)
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Memes have been about for as long as humans have been able to communicate but they were only given the name meme in 1976. The internet just made the distribution of them easier. What passes for memes on the internet (from what I've seen, generally a picture with a few words added to try and make a funny point) aren't necessarily memes though, The vast majority will be forgotten about not long after they've been seen, their memetic code reaching a dead end as people stop sharing them. The concept of an internet meme is however a meme in itself.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irritating as they are, they're not nearly as bad as when you get people who share this kind of rubbish. http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0b/99/63/0b996360db3954705b9a3d88c7dae325.jpg
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Irritating as they are, they're not nearly as bad as when you get people who share this kind of rubbish. http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0b/99/63/0b996360db3954705b9a3d88c7dae325.jpg

Or, for that matter the "if U scroll passed this and Do not comment amen u R hartless" ones.

Back to the OP, though. Since 93.2% of all memes are about cats... does anyone else think that tanker looks like a cat looking over its shoulder?
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's got to be one of the worst I've seen.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    That's got to be one of the worst I've seen.

I think the worst ones are the "bet you can't..." ones.

For example "Name a CITY that does not have the 'A' in it"

Seriously?