The Originals (Vampire Diaries Spinoff) Discussion Thread

Comments

• PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,427
    Forum Member
    I liked it, didn't love it. Will definitely keep watching it though.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone said there are 3 versions and now I have seen all of them. I really enjoyed the last version
    I dislike TVD's persistence in being juvenile. The Originals is more grown up and I wasn't bored at all.I was also happy to see Kol because I doubt an actor would bother to have a guest role for 2 minutes in a coffin if they were not going to appear again.
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I thought Elijah carried the pilot really well. I'm not sure if they've done the series a favour by the ending the episode the way they did between him and Klaus, if they're wanting Klaus to be the main protagonist - they need to give some balance to his bratty tantrums, as they did on TVD. I wonder what people who haven't seen TVD are thinking of him as the main character?
    I wonder if the regular daggering of Elijah is how they're going to deal with Daniel Gillies' schedule conflicts when he was also filming Saving Hope. This technique has already go old for me. I'm starting to find it very frustrating and it no longer has the shock value it once did.
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,184
    Forum Member
    Jayma wrote: »
    I thought Elijah carried the pilot really well. I'm not sure if they've done the series a favour by the ending the episode the way they did between him and Klaus, if they're wanting Klaus to be the main protagonist - they need to give some balance to his bratty tantrums, as they did on TVD. I wonder what people who haven't seen TVD are thinking of him as the main character?
    I wonder if the regular daggering of Elijah is how they're going to deal with Daniel Gillies' schedule conflicts when he was also filming Saving Hope. This technique has already go old for me. I'm starting to find it very frustrating and it no longer has the shock value it once did.

I think what you said in the spoiler is what their doing. It's annoying though.

I didn't hate it, Looking forward to a brand new ep though
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Looking forwards to tomorrow's episode! :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when does this start on syfy in uk?
  • CraigCraig Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    when does this start on syfy in uk?

October 22 at 10pm according to TV Wise.
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    Looking forwards to tomorrow's episode! :)

I wouldn't be surprised if it will be heavily Klaus and Rebekah-centric, bearing in mind last week was told from Elijah's perspective.

I just hope
    Elijah is undaggered pretty pronto, and that Rebekah finds some way of getting rid of those things once and for all.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig wrote: »
    October 22 at 10pm according to TV Wise.

thank you!
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode is on itunes UK now for anyone who wanted it legally, has £2.49, and doesn't wanna wait till the 22nd.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know if it's being shown in ireland?
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    What a brilliant second episode. It does feel a lot more adult than TVD and I enjoyed it very much particularly the scenes with Rebekah and Hayley.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JustArun wrote: »
    What a brilliant second episode. It does feel a lot more adult than TVD and I enjoyed it very much particularly the scenes with Rebekah and Hayley.

I agree. Really good episode. So many new things happening. Rebekah definitely livened things up. Even Marcel seemed more appealing to me. Can't wait until Elijah is undaggered.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I wonder what people who haven't seen TVD are thinking of him as the main character?
    I doubt people are thinking of Elijah as the main character, considering he's just been (as far as new viewers are concerned) killed.

I say it like that cause new viewers aren't going to know about the whole dagger and sleep thing. I know it was referenced in the episode with Kol and the other brother (name escapes me) but these would still be new viewers. Wouldn't surprise me if half of them don't expect to see Elijah again.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it will be heavily Klaus and Rebekah-centric, bearing in mind last week was told from Elijah's perspective.
    I'd believe this also. Having seen the premier of season 5's VD, Rebekah pretty much says goodbye to Matt; obviously she's now off to meet with Elijah and Klaus (though they wouldn't know it). It wouldn't surprise me if episode 2 of the Originals is set a couple of weeks/months after the premier. It would give Rebekah chance to change her mind for starters, and would give Elijah time to awaken.

I'm also hoping that season two, they'll just change the show name to Originals. Don't think they need the before it. Sounds a bit... tacky?
    Forum Member
    Flash525 wrote: »
    I doubt people are thinking of Elijah as the main character, considering he's just been (as far as new viewers are concerned) killed.

I say it like that cause new viewers aren't going to know about the whole dagger and sleep thing. I know it was referenced in the episode with Kol and the other brother (name escapes me) but these would still be new viewers. Wouldn't surprise me if half of them don't expect to see Elijah again.

No, I was meaning Klaus as the main character. Joseph Morgan's name is first on the credits, yet new viewers will see a vicious, bratty protagonist who ended the first episode stabbing the character who had featured the most during the pilot. I was wondering what non-TVD viewers, who aren't familiar with Klaus thought about him.

I enjoyed the second episode. So far, I'm liking the Originals and TVD being separate programmes.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a review which said they did the point of view from Elijah because he is easy to like. I Agee with that because you don't want to frighten newcomers before they realise Klaus does have a good side.

I read that some are worried about Daniel not being in the shoe a lot because of that other series. Daniel did say that the 2 shows are shot at different times of the year so he could do both. He did say that the other series came first but he was only a guest star in TVD.

From what some have said about that other series he does not shine as he does in the Originals. Now he can really show how good he is and we won't have to wait months to see Elijah.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gotta say when The Originals hits SYFYuk later this month those who haven't watched it are in for a treat. It makes vampire diaries look lame. It's much better andf darker than tvd. Both episodes so far have gripped me.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Gotta say when The Originals hits SYFYuk later this month those who haven't watched it are in for a treat. It makes vampire diaries look lame. It's much better andf darker than tvd. Both episodes so far have gripped me.

Sorry, I just hate Klaus, Hayley and Rebekah too much to watch it and the pieces I have seen are just cementing that.:(
  • nats18nats18 Posts: 8,184
    Forum Member
    I read a review which said they did the point of view from Elijah because he is easy to like. I Agee with that because you don't want to frighten newcomers before they realise Klaus does have a good side.

I read that some are worried about Daniel not being in the shoe a lot because of that other series. Daniel did say that the 2 shows are shot at different times of the year so he could do both. He did say that the other series came first but he was only a guest star in TVD.

From what some have said about that other series he does not shine as he does in the Originals. Now he can really show how good he is and we won't have to wait months to see Elijah.

The other show he is in is pretty crap. I think I saw the first ep. Not sure I'd fell asleep on the couch and woke up to it. Watched it as I'd read about it but I thought it was weird. His character was pretty blah too.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I just hate Klaus, Hayley and Rebekah too much to watch it and the pieces I have seen are just cementing that.:(

I kinda have a crush on Rebekah :o
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I kinda have a crush on Rebekah :o

I have to admit, she could have her decent moments, but just like Klaus the writers seem hell bent on not giving any of them a moral streak for more than five minutes at a time. I think that might be why I'm glad they're all in their own show and away from TVD for now.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    i think the originals is better than vampire diaries , its just more interesting. vampire diaries is getting a bit stale so its nice to have something from the same universe but packing some punch. as bad as Klaus and Rebekah can be at times you actually find yourself rooting for them this time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    xNATILLYx wrote: »
    i think the originals is better than vampire diaries , its just more interesting. vampire diaries is getting a bit stale so its nice to have something from the same universe but packing some punch. as bad as Klaus and Rebekah can be at times you actually find yourself rooting for them this time.

The originals has a darker and more adult theme than the Vampires Diaries which works for me. The Vampires Diaries reminds me of a teenage soap with some fangs thrown in. So far, I'm impressed with the Originals.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is great, really gripping. I thought at first it was going to be different people playing The Originals, this is like having a double helping of The Vampire Diaries.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much preferred the latest episode to the premiere and the backdoor pilot. Actually, I'm preferring it to the current season of The Vampire Diaries, anyone else?