Forum Member
Discuss

Comments

• Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Discuss

A link might be useful ? Hard to discuss unless we have the details of exactly what we are talking about.

However as it's the newer phone wouldn't we expect it to beat phones that have been out for a while ? Any bench marks against, for example, the Z1 or Note 3.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Discuss

I just watched a benchmark video on YouTube between 5c, 5s and galaxy s4.

What it tells me is that specs mean nothing.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no true multitasking though, still a lower quality screen with a lower PPI, 1,136-by-640 vs the S4's 1,920-by-1,080, still a lower megapixel camera, (the new, high end phone market has moved to 13 mega pixels), no NFC, no widgets, in and out of apps all the time.

There's nothing that needs that CPU yet, and as others have said, the S4 is an older device now, and as such is available for £420 compared to the 5S which is £549.

So on top of the better resolution, better camera etc you also make a saving of £130.

I'm really surprised people aren't bored of having a phone that's just an 'app grid' yet.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every app is now currently a legacy app, yet it probably runs them as well as the last generation 5.

64 bit apps?
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    There's nothing that needs that CPU yet, and as others have said, the S4 is an older device now.

I'd be interested to see how quickly it compresses 1080p video to email. The 5 isn't bad, but the 4S takes forever.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    The same iphone 5S that has a feeble 1GB RAM.

Stock it with a fast CPU/GPU and then when it needs to run demanding apps it will start getting sluggish and crashing.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    pericom wrote: »
    Stock it with a fast CPU/GPU and then when it needs to run demanding apps it will start getting sluggish and crashing.

1GB is only "feeble" to those with an Android viewpoint. iOS and Windows Phone have managed with less for ages.

I think it will take a few months, and a few more people getting their hands on the 5S, before we know for sure.

By then Samsung will have the S5 out ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Still no true multitasking though, still a lower quality screen with a lower PPI, 1,136-by-640 vs the S4's 1,920-by-1,080, still a lower megapixel camera, (the new, high end phone market has moved to 13 mega pixels), no NFC, no widgets, in and out of apps all the time.

You obviously like specs :)
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the interesting part is that Apple is joining specs wars.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I see no evidence that the iPhone 5S performs better than the top android phones?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I just watched a benchmark video on YouTube between 5c, 5s and galaxy s4.

What it tells me is that specs mean nothing.

How does it tell you that exactly :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People saying anything without backing it up on Digital Spy... wot a shocker lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    How does it tell you that exactly :confused:

On paper I would not have expected the 5s to have been so far ahead on the benchmarks.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On paper I would not have expected the 5s to have been so far ahead on the benchmarks.

It shouldn't be against the snapdragon 800 but might be against snapdragon 600.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    It shouldn't be against the snapdragon 800 but might be against snapdragon 600.

It cant come close to Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It cant come close to Snapdragon 800 and Tegra 4.

Bit of a shame that the Tegra 4 never came to high end devices this year it was meant to be built for graphics. Hopefully see the Tegra 5 next year. From test footage I saw of the Tegra 5 in action it was comparable to the PS3.
    Forum Member

Well you have not explained ahead it what respect, doing what exactly? what were the differences exactly? what were the tests all a bit vague!

Then purely for fairness should not the respect OS's be swapped to see if the scores remain the same, that way you could truly judge the relevant performances of the phones? I fail to see how running a full functioning computing grade OS can be compared to an OS that would run my smart TV
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a link if people are interested:

Article link

By all accounts pretty fast in the benchmarks. Contrary to posts above, apparently faster than the Snapdragon 800.

All to do with the switch to ARMv8 apparently.

But benchmarks like these don't necessarily make too much difference in real world use, right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well you have not explained ahead it what respect, doing what exactly? what were the differences exactly? what were the tests all a bit vague!

Then purely for fairness should not the respect OS's be swapped to see if the scores remain the same, that way you could truly judge the relevant performances of the phones? I fail to see how running a full functioning computing grade OS can be compared to an OS that would run my smart TV

If you want to know what video I watched, it was this one.

http://youtu.be/mhsQFKrNnNw

If you are asking whether I think benchmarks are a good measure, then no, I think benchmarks are as meaningless as most of the specs. Especially as it was reported that samsung added code just to make benchmark results look good.

As for swapping over the OS, I'm not sure what that would prove.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    For me what has always been the iPhone's Achilles heel is screen real estate i.e. It is just too small, whilst conversely screens like the Xperia Z1 are to big. I find 4.3 to 4.5 just about right.
    Forum Member
    I am sure from now on all manufacturers will take that considered view on board and we shall only see such screen sizes in the future :rolleyes:
  • Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most extensive review, including benchmarks, here at Anandtech as usual:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review

Impressive how well it does with 2 cores against the 4 (or 8?) core competition. Always thought quad core on a phone is just willy waving for nerds.

And all (presumably) without cheating with 'special' benchmark app turbocharging. :p

And still kicking ass in the graphics department I see.

And all is such a small package. Makes one wonder why Samsung et al don't seem to be able or interested in packing such performance into their smaller phones, limiting it only to their monster sized phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    For me what has always been the iPhone's Achilles heel is screen real estate i.e. It is just too small, whilst conversely screens like the Xperia Z1 are to big. I find 4.3 to 4.5 just about right.

I do find it interesting that samsung have not released a high end phone with a smaller screen. I thought the S3 mini/S4 mini where going to be it.
    Forum Member
    As for swapping over the OS, I'm not sure what that would prove.

Quite clear why surely :confused: what are you claiming is quicker exactly the iphone itself or the OS it is running?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quite clear why surely :confused: what are you claiming is quicker exactly the iphone itself or the OS it is running?

Obviously not clear, otherwise I wouldn't have asked what it would prove.

I'm not claiming anything. I'm looking at results provided by websites and videos.