Ben Affleck cast as Batman in Man of Steel sequel

Comments

• RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I see it going in the other direction, in a far future scenario where he will pass on the torch to his protege - Batman of the Future.

Here's hoping. I think Batman Beyond will happen eventually but probably not until they get the JL movies out the way first.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The level of freaking out about this on social media is beyond bizarre. Successful actor cast in well known role shocker, for goodness sake. Let's wait and see how it pans out before calling for Affleck's head.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm....interesting choice.

Matt Damon as Robin?
  • oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope I'm proved wrong but this reminds me of when George Clooney got the role years ago. Great as Bruce Wayne but he just want credible as Batman.
    Couldn't be happier if I turn out to be wrong tho.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not the biggest Affleck fan, but I'll wait and see. My favourite is still Michael Keaton :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Not the biggest Affleck fan, but I'll wait and see. My favourite is still Michael Keaton :o

No need for the :o Keaton was great, but you know, Adam West all the way for me ;)
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He just does not have that edge.

It's like a King Kong vs Bugs Bunny concept they are going for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always felt Batman didn't make the movies, it was the villains.

Batman- Jack Nicholson
    Batman Returns - Michelle Phiffer, Danny Devito and Christopher Walken
    The Dark Knight - Heath Ledger
    The Dark Knight Rises - Tom Hardy
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im happy with this,should do a good job.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well he's already played Superman .
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm. Affleck has really turned his career round in the past few years. Argo is such a well made and acted film, primarily because of him and it deserves the praise it gets. Therefore, I'll reserve judgement until I see him in the role. I think they've earned the benefit of the doubt with Batman movies following Heath Ledger. Come on; they wouldn't have picked him if he was bad! I know it's hard to believe sometimes, but WB do not deliberately try to make their superhero movies awful.

I really like the direction they are taking the character as well. An older, experienced, world weary Batman interacting with a young Superman. Creates a very interesting, and new, dynamic, and we won't have yet another origin story that just blatantly copies the original (ahem Amazing Spiderman ahem).

However, I think instead of worrying about the actor, we should be worrying about the writing. MOS was all style, no substance. Despite the ground breaking effects, I found the movie so fricking dull and lacking in any heart. Can't say I'm overly excited for the sequel, even with Batman desperately thrown into the mix.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen some good ideas floating around. This is obviously an older Batman so any future solo films could be prequels played by a younger actor therefore bypassing an "Affleck is too old" issues. It would also mean Affleck himself wouldn't have to get too tied down with the role and only have to make the odd cameo here and there with a JL film.
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I see it going in the other direction, in a far future scenario where he will pass on the torch to his protege - Batman of the Future.

Or possibly Man of Steel and the sequel are set on Earth-Two

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-Two

Whereas any future JLA film could be set on Earth-One

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-One
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    No need for the :o Keaton was great, but you know, Adam West all the way for me ;)

Do I have to use a :o for admitting to not hating Batman and Robin? :p
  • Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good actor - but why isn't the guy in the last film of the trilogy taking over? Robin... what was the point of that then??
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Hmmmm....interesting choice.

Matt Damon as Robin?

Matt Damon should have been Daredevil, with Ben playing Bullseye. That will never happen now though.

As for this, I'm also in the 'wait and see camp'. A bit of an odd choice, but not necessarily a bad one.

I'm one the few people who actually like Daredevil (bar Elektra's awful costume), it just need more of a 'bad guy' presence from Kingpin. I think MCD appeared in about 4 scenes through the whole movie, which didn't really set him up as the great crime boss that he is in comics

But I digress.....
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Or possibly Man of Steel and the sequel are set on Earth-Two

Whereas any future JLA film could be set on Earth-One
    Far too fanboy. Think of the casual viewer - the majority.

I'm a little nonplussed on this choice of Affleck as Batman, tbh. It might be that Warners are playing a clever longball regarding publicity and build-up - those first set pics, teaser etc. But the onus is on Batman rather than Superman now, and it's his sequel. It's similar to the situation TDK was in, so they'd better get Batman right.

As others have said, we'll just have to wait and see.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The level of freaking out about this on social media is beyond bizarre. Successful actor cast in well known role shocker, for goodness sake. Let's wait and see how it pans out before calling for Affleck's head.

:confused: Not really and he is not a consistently good actor either especially in films that aren't his own. His directing skills are what have kept him in the game.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Good actor - but why isn't the guy in the last film of the trilogy taking over? Robin... what was the point of that then??
    It was just to show that Gotham will remain protected. I'm not convinced there was any intention to have that character become the lead in a sequel/spin-off.

Bruce Wayne is the iconic Batman. Audiences would feel cheated if Clark/Superman is teamed-up with some new guy.
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »

Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy is totally separate. Nolan and Bale have stated this numerous times. Man of Steel was to launch the cohesive DC Universe akin to MCU.

The Affleck of today is a very difference actor than pre-Daredevil and has gone from strength to strength. This is a huge risk for him. I do think there is a bigger picture here. Having Affleck take over directing duties from Snyder for the inevitable sequel/Justice League if it is successful.

I wasn't a huge fan of MoS not because of the acting but from Snyder's direction and the screenplay. If Snyder can reel it in a little, a great story and screenplay and a iconic villain is cast. We could be in for a great movie with Affleck directing the sequel.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to admit I found the news a bit of a let-down. I was actually hoping for Josh Brolin as an older Batman. I think he's got a presence about him that fits both Bruce Wayne and Batman - something I feel Afleck lacks.

I don't want to prejudge too much and I will give the guy a chance when the film comes round, but right now, my gut is telling me its the wrong choice. I hope he surprises me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    :confused: Not really and he is not a consistently good actor either especially in films that aren't his own. His directing skills are what have kept him in the game.

Yes really. You don't get to be on the A list by not being successful. I could also give you a pretty long list of films where Bale was deemed to be not much cop either. It means nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    He wouldn't have been my choice (I'd have liked Josh Brolin to don the cowl) but I have alot of respect for Ben Affleck and his writing and directing has breathed new life into his reputation. He has chosen some bad roles but hasn't ever been a bad actor, so I'll be reserving judgement until I see the film.

I remember the reactions to Keaton being cast, and he did a great job. I remember the negativity when Heath Ledger got the role of Joker, and look how well that turned out. Here's hoping that Affleck delivers and we get a top notch movie out of it.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daredevil is essentially Marvels version of Batman...and we all know how that turned out. He was rubbish in it.

Disappointed with this casting.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    I always felt Batman didn't make the movies, it was the villains.

Batman- Jack Nicholson
    Batman Returns - Michelle Phiffer, Danny Devito and Christopher Walken
    The Dark Knight - Heath Ledger
    The Dark Knight Rises - Tom Hardy

I agree. I've never got the fascination over a traumatised man, who is supremly somber at all times,despite having the world at his feet.

Batman for me is just a symbol, to provide hope, rather than a cool hero in himself.