Options

Colchester major incident-national news. Belfast major incident-local news

TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
Forum Member
Colchester Hospital's declaration of a major incident at its A&E Department due to pressure on beds has been leading the national news all day. However, Belfast Trust also declared a major incident due to A&E pressures back in January http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25664076 and it was largely a local news item. Is this yet another example of, the closer to London, the more the media assume the rest of the country must be interested?

Comments

• Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a major incident at colchester? Can't say I've heard myself.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find the reason why Colchester is on the news is that they were allegedly engaging in unethical practices, which should be a concern to all
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,061
    Forum Member
    Sadly for Belfast awful violence and disgusting bigotry is such an ever day occurrence, that only the most awful stuff makes the national news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Sadly for Belfast awful violence and disgusting bigotry is such an ever day occurrence, that only the most awful stuff makes the national news.

Have you lived in Belfast? Becuase, as someone who used to live there I don't recognise the description of it you give.

Besides with, why should that a make a hospital-related story anymore or less newworthy?
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,061
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    Have you lived in Belfast? Becuase, as someone who used to live there I don't recognise the description of it you give.

So religious bigotry isn't a major issue in Belfast? And gang related violence isn't a constant problem?
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Colchester is a lot closer to BBC HQ than Belfast
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the number of in-patients were above normal
    THAT'S IT!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    So religious bigotry isn't a major issue in Belfast? And gang related violence isn't a constant problem?

I could point you towards a tiny number (around 4 or 5) individual streets where any problems of rioting and disruption occur. The rest of Belfast moves on as a healthy, vibrant city, usually unaware until they listen to the news that anything has been happening.
  • Options
    TATTOO62TATTOO62 Posts: 405
    Forum Member

It isn't
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Colchester have already been in trouble re allegations of bullying staff , fiddling outcomes and failure of Management to implement proper procedures after a previous inspection.

They are stretched but are closing another nearby Hospital which will make the problems even greater.

A complete Management failure over a number of years, it should be highlighted nationally.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll find the BBC has headquarters in each of the nations. And guess where the BBC Northern Ireland one is. That's right - it's in Belfast..!
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find the BBC has headquarters in each of the nations. And guess where the BBC Northern Ireland one is. That's right - it's in Belfast..!

Obviously I'm talking about the main HQ in London which is why things like the Belfast incident don't get national airing, but something close to London does.