So wait, John Hurt isnt going to be the Doctor beyond the 50th episode?

BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
Forum Member
AWW!

WTF??

I was really looking forward to having an older Doctor.

Moffet took people who arn't diehard Dr.Who fans on at the end by making it seem like he was going to be the new one. But now ive seen people explaining all this stuff and how he's probably just gonna be in it for 1 episode.

Why introduce him then with an actual message? They;ve never done that before in any cliffhanger.

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    He's the past, who knows, he may do a few audio book stories and pass it off as the Hidden Years or something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I am assuming now that it means the 50th is going to have a disappointing reset moment to stop John Hurts doctor ever coming about.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    AWW!

Why introduce him then with an actual message? They;ve never done that before in any cliffhanger.

Because he is The Doctor just not the 12th (replacement) Doctor

If Tennant appeared it would have said (Reintroducing?) David Tennnat as The Doctor
    Forum Member
    Jim_Chem wrote: »
    I am assuming now that it means the 50th is going to have a disappointing reset moment to stop John Hurts doctor ever coming about.

Not if he's a past Doctor which is the most likely scenario
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hurt is presumably before Smith, as Doctor 11 (or 12?) knew who he was.

In practical terms, Hurt is 73, and unlikely to be full time in a role with lots of running usually involved.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    he will be the doctor that was around when the gap between 1996 and 2005 was on. we all "assumed" McGann turned into Eccleston
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Is he were a past doctor, surely Clara would have bumped into him through the doctors timeline (assuming she only went back from get doctor in said timeline)
    Forum Member
    Jim_Chem wrote: »
    Is he were a past doctor, surely Clara would have bumped into him through the doctors timeline (assuming she only went back from get doctor in said timeline)

Not if he was locked away and The Doctor going into his own time line is what freed him
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Hurt is presumably before Smith, as Doctor 11 (or 12?) knew who he was.

In practical terms, Hurt is 73, and unlikely to be full time in a role with lots of running usually involved.

I hate this running excuse. First of all, the worst bits of New Who have been "all the running", because you cant hear any of the dialogue and usually its just the Tardis exploding into sparks. Second the Doctor does not revolve around the show, the show revolves around the Doctor and if Hurt was the Doctor we could have episodes that were'nt based around "running".

We've had the last 2 Doctor's being young, whimsical, wacky people. Can't we have an older serious one for just a change?
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffet took people who arn't diehard Dr.Who fans on at the end by making it seem like he was going to be the new one.

No, he didn't. Anyone listening to the dialogue would have realised it was quite clear that Matt Smith's Doctor knew Hurt's Doctor, was talking about him in the past tense and that therefore he's a past incarnation of the Doctor.

Not Moffat's fault if people don't listen!
    Forum Member
    Maybe John Hurt wouldn't want to do a full series even without the running for a 70+ year old man it would be hard to do plus maybe he won't have the time he's not some unknown actor it's John Hurt he likely has other commitments

I agree we need a older Doctor but maybe 70+ is pushing that just a little
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alienpanda wrote: »
    he will be the doctor that was around when the gap between 1996 and 2005 was on. we all "assumed" McGann turned into Eccleston

It's been stated in the show many times that Smith is 11 though
  • Shandyman81Shandyman81 Posts: 349
    Forum Member

The 11th doctor, yes, but not the 11th incarnation, as we will find out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member

Yes but at the end of the episode smith said that Jon Hurt isn't known as the doctor because he broke the promise.

So John Hurt is the Doctors 9th Regeneration but isnt remembered as a the 9th doctor because of what he done, he didnt earn the title the doctor.
    Forum Member

I have a theory that nobody know of this other Doctor not even The Doctor himself it has been shown in the past The Time Lords can erase memories what if The Doctor erased his own memory if that incarnation
    Forum Member
    I have a theory that nobody know of this other Doctor not even The Doctor himself it has been shown in the past The Time Lords can erase memories what if The Doctor erased his own memory if that incarnation

I dont think so because Smith understood why John Hurt did what he did so he still has the memories.
    Forum Member
    TD Chesh wrote: »
    I dont think so because Smith understood why John Hurt did what he did so he still has the memories.

I would say when he entered his own time stream the memories became unlocked.

Plus I think whatever he did was more than just end The Time War
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the only way I can see it working because The Doctor shared his mind with Craig that time and Craig didn't argue when The Doctor said he was 11th
    Forum Member
    I would say when he entered his own time stream the memories became unlocked.

Plus I think whatever he did was more than just end The Time War

Yes, but why would he have been so worried before he went into the time stream.
    Forum Member
    TD Chesh wrote: »
    Yes, but why would he have been so worried before he went into the time stream.

Because it could kill him and everything else or maybe he knew that he had erased a memory and would only do that to himself if it was 100% necessary and knew it would be unlocked.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, he didn't. Anyone listening to the dialogue would have realised it was quite clear that Matt Smith's Doctor knew Hurt's Doctor, was talking about him in the past tense and that therefore he's a past incarnation of the Doctor.

Not Moffat's fault if people don't listen!
    The Doctor has met his past selves on several occasions - and therefore has on occasions met his future selves...
    My on personal theroy is that the name of this incarnation that is not 'The Doctor' has been mentioned in the episode.